• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFFs top graded preseason rookie wideouts.

Zod

Just now, CanadianCat said:

Even if Darnold DOES work out, he's not getting top of the market money. No where close. Darnold needs to show 2+ seasons of high level play to get a big contract. This is why he is a low risk high upside signing. 

Exactly, it gives us flexibility to build a team with reasonable contracts, pay the guys that warrant nice contracts, and be a very good situation for a rookie QB to walk into come 2022 (if that needs to happen)

We have zero guys in the next 2 years I see as a potential cap casualty and we're in a solid home grown situation.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, cookinbrak said:

In a world where 4 WRs is too many...

In a world where we're deep at WR and nearly devoid of starting caliber OL.

There's only so much cap space to go around and Tepper has been talking like we may need to swing a trade for a LT.

All I'm saying is that this move on the heels of drafting two WRs makes me uncertain that a DJ extension is in the plans.

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

DJ, not the rookies.

DJ's contract won't really overlap with Anderson's either, he's already locked in for cheap the next 2 years then we can easily structure the contract so the hit in Anderson's last year will be low.

Regarding the rookies, yes they look extremely promising, but to expect that either will be good enough to lock down the #2 role as soon as next year is wishful thinking. Robby is a phenomenal #2 WR behind DJ through the duration of this contract and it gives time for these rooks to prove themselves and develop and also gives us pretty insane WR depth if the rooks do develop.

We complained for years about not having good WRs, now we have too many good WRs?

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, the issue with that is that he only has this season and next. So, if he blows up this year, do you risk that last year of his deal to be a tiebreaker? I suppose we have a franchise tag to use on him to extend that period. 

Which......I am completely down to have the "problem" of having to decide how much to pay a QB that has been playing lights out for us.

I would absolutely risk that last year. 

I think it would be foolish to sign him long term after this year no matter how well he does. His career to so far been really bad. He needs to ball out then we can give him big money after his second with us. If we cannot agree to a number we can tag him twice. 

There is strategy to sign him long after this year for a below market contract if he has a good year. But his NFL lows have been so low that I would hate to see us gamble and fail in such a critical position. 

We gambled with this last year with Teddy, I would hate to see us do that again. 

• Pie 1

I said this a while back and nobody listened, under Joe Brady 5 starting caliber WRs its the preference. Understanding that he prefers to constantly put pressure on the defense with options to score helps the OL significantly. This is why we need talent all around whoever the QB is.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

DJ's contract won't really overlap with Anderson's either, he's already locked in for cheap the next 2 years then we can easily structure the contract so the hit in Anderson's last year will be low.

Regarding the rookies, yes they look extremely promising, but to expect that either will be good enough to lock down the #2 role as soon as next year is wishful thinking. Robby is a phenomenal #2 WR behind DJ through the duration of this contract and it gives time for these rooks to prove themselves and develop and also gives us pretty insane WR depth if the rooks do develop.

We complained for years about not having good WRs, now we have too many good WRs?

Who's complaining? My concern is that DJ might not be in our long-term plans.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is why I found Robby's extension a bit baffling and why it leaves me a bit concerned about our plans for DJ.

Some people never leave the Fox Rivera era. Sometimes you can keep two receivers and not ship off another player.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who's complaining? My concern is that DJ might not be in our long-term plans.

... might not be a popular take but it might be easier finding a player with DJ's skillset in the draft than someone with Anderson's. 

That said, a 2 year deal is hardly a roster breaking contract by any means. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I would absolutely risk that last year. 

I think it would be foolish to sign him long term after this year no matter how well he does. His career to so far been really bad. He needs to ball out then we can give him big money after his second with us. If we cannot agree to a number we can tag him twice. 

There is strategy to sign him long after this year for a below market contract if he has a good year. But his NFL lows have been so low that I would hate to see us gamble and fail in such a critical position. 

We gambled with this last year with Teddy, I would hate to see us do that again. 

I am going to paint a scenario that I in absolutely no way, shape or form believe is even remotely possible....but here goes......let's say he has an MVP caliber season in 2021? Do you still make him play that last year of his deal?

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I am going to paint a scenario that I in absolutely no way, shape or form believe is even remotely possible....but here goes......let's say he has an MVP caliber season in 2021? Do you still make him play that last year of his deal?

haha I think that's the exception.

Like I said there is good strategy to do the deal, but we REALLY need to make the right decision

• Beer 1