• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut down day thread.

Zod

1 minute ago, davos said:

You're looking at the school in a vacuum.  It's the individual from prior experience.  Not some impulsive Owl influx.  I'm still open to Rhule and don't see PJ as a reason for turning on the guy.  It's our backup QB.  I mean, we kept Weinke until 2006.  

And here's not a perfect analogy, but let's say you kept up with someone in your industry that you worked well with and were beginning a start up, are you not going to consider him/her when you get going? Sure, don't let it blind you from making a move for a better option but Grier wasn't that.  

And I have seen no clear cut obvious backup signing that is in this zone where they looks better than PJ but won't create a weird situation for Darnold.  And if Darnold sucks, we're obviously getting a top QB pick next year or a proven vet QB so PJ's likely last season.   

I get where you're going with this, but it's bad optics to any non-homer when a guy looked really bad in the preseason, like never completing half his passes, but is awarded a job over a guy who out-performed him.

A comparable analogy would be if I hired said person for my startup even though they were clearly unqualified for the position and in so doing, I fired the person who was starting to be pretty decent. In addition, I ignored any option to hire externally or seek someone better than the person who I chose solely based on prior opinion. 

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

I get where you're going with this, but it's bad optics to any non-homer when a guy looked really bad in the preseason, like never completing half his passes, but is awarded a job over a guy who out-performed him.

A comparable analogy would be if I hired said person for my startup even though they were clearly unqualified for the position and in so doing, I fired the person who was starting to be pretty decent. In addition, I ignored any option to hire externally or seek someone better than the person who I chose solely based on prior opinion. 

Yeah I get you there.  From an optics standpoint, it looks like he's playing favorites on the outside looking in. 

But from an internal standpoint it's a guy that knows the playbook, started and won (not exactly a shining performance vs. DET ha), so they're okay with it because there's no clear better options that would not compete with their trusted QB reconciliation project 2.0.

Maybbbbe Garrett Gilbert? Brett Rypien? Nick Mullens? I mean, ehhr. I think Matt Barkley would've been a good target this past offseason though.  But at this point, they'd have to be assured it's a guy that could smoothly transition, take in the playbook, and win a game if need be. I just don't see the options. 

Fair points, don't mind the back and forth 

7 minutes ago, davos said:

We have 2 Baylor players.  Again, as many as Western Michigan guys.  

Now, I can see the pessimism when it comes to Temple.  Especially considering PJ still being here when he is quite frankly a fringe backup/CFL starter talent.  But, do consider if you were brand new to coaching in the NFL and there were 2 already moderately successful guys that you coached available (Robby and Reddick).  Yeah, I think it makes sense to bring them in.  Guys that trust you, understand your approach. 

And the others guys aren't having a huge impact but honestly, Chandler and Franklin look like fine depth pieces.  Franklin may even supplant Burris at some point.  So really, we're talking Thompson and PJ as the guys that may undeservingly be here.  

I get you're not a Rhule fan but you're hyperbolizing it a bit.  I don't like PJ being here but I don't really have a problem with the others.  And we just released Kirkwood.   

Well said.  That sums it up pretty good and I'm not really seeing how anyone can argue that logical train of thought....but it is the huddle after all

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

Lions just cut Jahlani Tavai. Picked in the 2nd round 2 years ago. Could be decent depth at LB.

He is absolutely terrible. Had no business being drafted where he was, if at all. 

Lions fans describe him as follows:

"Slower than a lineman, Tackles like a corner, covers like a kicker".

Nah, I'm good. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, davos said:

Yeah I get you there.  From an optics standpoint, it looks like he's playing favorites on the outside looking in. 

But from an internal standpoint it's a guy that knows the playbook, started and won (not exactly a shining performance vs. DET ha), so they're okay with it because there's no clear better options that would not compete with their trusted QB reconciliation project 2.0.

Maybbbbe Garrett Gilbert? Brett Rypien? Nick Mullens? I mean, ehhr. I think Matt Barkley would've been a good target this past offseason though.  But at this point, they'd have to be assured it's a guy that could smoothly transition, take in the playbook, and win a game if need be. I just don't see the options. 

Fair points, don't mind the back and forth 

Yeah I’d definitely take Gilbert. I just don’t have much faith in this leadership to make the decision that’s smartest. Long snapper is the next mistake they’re trying to make. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Actually, it's a legit concern.

Prior to today, there were 39 players from Baylor and Temple on NFL rosters.  Of those 39, 10 were on the Panthers roster.  25% of the NFL players from those two schools were on our roster.  That should be concerning to anyone.

It may look very different after today, and I hope it does.  However, you cannot dismiss the concerns so easily.  It's very clear there is a bias there.  It's one thing if that bias was leading us to success, but in this case success is certainly not something we've experienced very much of recently.

Interesting! 

• Beer 1