• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Sports Science..

WOW!!

18 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

If he still sucks does that mean the Panthers/Rhule as as bad as Jets/Gase were?

Could be, but the common denominator in that scenario would be Darnold. It would mean he is likely the issue, that would make more sense.

However, what it would mean for sure is we have people in the building with some awful judgment calling, TB and now Darnold failing. If Fields or Jones balls out that would be the cherry on top of bad decision making in my opinion.

This should all align around year 3 of Rhule’s tenure, and if it all does, in fact, all align…I’m not sure how much more time you give a guy.

Simply - Nail in coffin for Darnold, lid being fitted for Rhule.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Snake said:

The kid never really had quality coaching at any level. They basically let him go and play off of raw talent. The result was the NE game. Brady took a young Joe Burrow who was doing the same thing and made him into a top QB talent with good fundamentals. I think his system will be really good for Darnald so long as we have a OL that can pretend to be decent.

The OL really is the key. If he can be protected and has confidence in the line he should be ok. He may not be a world beater, all-pro, but he'll be good enough manage the games.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:18 AM, ColumbusCounty said:

Iirc I saw that foot movement at the start of the preseason game last week. I just thought he wasn't settled in. Nm 

I THINK they're teaching him to keep his feet active so they're aligned correctly when he throws the ball.

Some think that means he has happy feet - I think it's the opposite. The QB coach is getting him to overcompensate and consciously move his feet because he has (had?) lazy footwork and that's 90% of the reason he got in trouble in the past. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 2

4 hours ago, onmyown said:

Could be, but the common denominator in that scenario would be Darnold. It would mean he is likely the issue, that would make more sense.

However, what it would mean for sure is we have people in the building with some awful judgment calling, TB and now Darnold failing. If Fields or Jones balls out that would be the cherry on top of bad decision making in my opinion.

This should all align around year 3 of Rhule’s tenure, and if it all does, in fact, all align…I’m not sure how much more time you give a guy.

Simply - Nail in coffin for Darnold, lid being fitted for Rhule.

Oh dear God!!

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I THINK they're teaching him to keep his feet active so they're aligned correctly when he throws the ball.

Some think that means he has happy feet - I think it's the opposite. The QB coach is getting him to overcompensate and consciously move his feet because he has (had?) lazy footwork and that's 90% of the reason he got in trouble in the past. 

Exactly.  As a QB you never just want to stand there flat-footed.  He has been coached to have "happy feet", as has every single other QB in the NFL.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

As long as his feet are aligned to his reads, moving quickly like that isn't an issue.  It's what a west coast like system demands.  Quick reads, getting the ball out on time.

You should be able to watch the head and the feet and see them aligned as he move through the progression.  If that's happening quickly, great.  If his feet are moving and his head is not, that's when there's a problem.

Quickly moving feet has been incorrectly labeled "happy feet".  It *can* be happy feet, but it can also be a QB who is doing exactly what the offense demands.  You have to watch the whole picture to know.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

As long as his feet are aligned to his reads, moving quickly like that isn't an issue.  It's what a west coast like system demands.  Quick reads, getting the ball out on time.

You should be able to watch the head and the feet and see them aligned as he move through the progression.  If that's happening quickly, great.  If his feet are moving and his head is not, that's when there's a problem.

Quickly moving feet has been incorrectly labeled "happy feet".  It *can* be happy feet, but it can also be a QB who is doing exactly what the offense demands.  You have to watch the whole picture to know.

Exactly! I recall watching prime Peyton Manning having happy feet like that all the time. Always doing those little hops in the pocket. 

And I am not comparing Darnold to Manning in any way. Just saying having your feet constantly moving doesn't necessarily mean happy feet.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, joemac said:

No it means Sam just sucks. 

yep.   It's all on him now.   No excuses.  (even if the O-Line is shaky....it's still better than the Jets from 2020)

12 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Much?  Doubt it.  As they say, it’s a team sport.  Luckily the oline is only a part of the equation.  Good skill players and an actual game plan can massage some of these issues into slightly less issuey issues.

Also, Good Coaching plays a part in the actual game plan.   "Good Coaching" did not exist last season when Sam was in NY.  

Rhule is going to find a way to mitigate the O-Line's weakness to slow down any pass-rush the Jets have.