• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s discuss WRs not named DJ

therealmjl

Anyone else confused by Marshall’s usage so far? It looks like they are essentially using him in the Samuel mold so far. Quick screen passes here and there.

And…much has been made of that Darnold and Robby connection but he really hasn’t been relied on all that much through 2 games. A single catch (big catch) against New York and what, 3 yesterday?

Just a discussion point…have at it.

I'm glad we haven't had to / decided to ride a rookie WR.  I expect to see Marshall getting more balls towards the back half of the year.

Where Robby is concerned?  Personally I'm thrilled Sam *isn't* locked in on him just because they have history and a connection from when they played together in NY.  Same thing here but for different reasons I suspect we're going to see Robby getting more long balls as the season goes on.

Well we've had a pretty balanced attack and have had positive game script from the start in both games. DJ and Christian were always going to be the top 2 in the pecking order. After them the ball has been spread around pretty well, which is a good thing. I think Sam has been trying to get Robbie going downfield, obviously paid off in week 1 but he just missed him on a couple downfield shots against the Aints. Marshall is just being brought along slowly, which makes sense for a 2nd round rookie. He's had some nice plays and also some miscues in week 1. Arnold who developed chemistry with Sam in TC had a real nice game on relatively low targets and of course Zylstra flashed too. I'm not really concerned about the usage, there will be games where we have negative game script and need to pass more and Robbie and Marshall will be more involved. In games like these first 2 we just haven't really needed them to get peppered with targets.

4 minutes ago, slumdogmillionaire said:

Which is why multiple people watching the game with me at various times asked why did we extend Robby.    If you wanted to extend him use that 2nd round pick on someone other than Marshall.

15 million a year is a lot for Robby. I think we paid above fair market value after just a single year. With CMC back, more TE play and more young WR depth that move just didn't make sense at that price.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I would much rather have locked up both DJ and Reddick the way they're playing than extended Robby with so much talent behind him. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, slumdogmillionaire said:

Which is why multiple people watching the game with me at various times asked why did we extend Robby.    If you wanted to extend him use that 2nd round pick on someone other than Marshall.

well, I always thought we should of waited to see what this season looked like before extending Robby.  But that's come and gone. 

But right now Robby is 4th in receptions.  Currently Sam is completing the pass 44% of the time when targeting Robby.   Lot of factors go into that obviously.  But currently DJ is at 73%, CMC at 93%, Marshall at 66%, Arnold at 71% when targeted.  Something to watch as the season goes on. 

*in NY Sam completed the pass to Robby on 53% of his targeted throws.