• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baldy Breakdowns on Panthers vs. Saints

KB_fan

No more clips from Baldy to post right now, but today John Ellis - the Huddle's own @ellis - posted a cool clip on Twitter that, like Baldy, really brings home the fact this this has been a whole of defense effort.  The team is really playing together in a concerted effort and it's working so beautifully.

• Pie 1

Thanks for passing that clip -- what a scary sight for OCs to see in their film study.  Hard to block all those torpedoes coming at you.

I'd note that, if you count the time between snaps and contact with the QB, it LOOKS sudden as a lightning bolt, but many hit after 3-4 seconds.  This means it's NOT JUST the ferocity of the rushers, but the coverage by the secondary, highlighted by Snow's switch from soft zone to press man.

I don't care which QB we have to face -- Dak, Brady, Murray, Allen -- they'll all feel the unique pressure we bring.

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

Back when NFL Network was a young pup and fantasy football became such a big thing there was a show where Baldy and a few others would breakdown plays from the previous weekend's games complete with X's and O's and film. I can't remember the name of the show but I used to watch it every week.

Playbook, him & Sterling Sharpe, loved it…. NFLN early days…,

• Beer 1

I enjoy listening to Baldy too.  Obviously having been in the trenches he knows what he is talking about.  There aren't many that are as good as Baldy.

There are a few that are good at diagnosing the plays.

Dan Orlovsky is good at it too.  Not much of a QB but very intelligent and I enjoy listening to him.  Even if I don't agree with him.

8 hours ago, KB_fan said:

MY WORD!  Here is a compilation of all Panthers sacks so far.  Got to be terrifying for any opposing QB to watch this!

Favorites Burns blowing up Wilson for our first sack and Brown planting Wilson about 6 inches below the surface. 

Honorable Mention Riddick sack on Winston to get things started for us Sunday. 

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, KB_fan said:

MY WORD!  Here is a compilation of all Panthers sacks so far.  Got to be terrifying for any opposing QB to watch this!

The interesting thing, I thought, was that Derrick Brown was only on the field in three of the 10 sacks we've done. Not as in "not involved in", but "not on the field" at all. Of the three sack plays he was on the field, he made the sack in the second and in the other two just tied up o-linemen.

Not knocking Brown at all here, but just pointing out that he might be a defensive tempo indicator. I believe Brown is mainly playing rushing downs or spelling some of our faster d-linemen. He's being substituted out for faster guys on likely passing plays to add more dimension to the four man rush we're using most of the time and maybe to clear some square-footage to squeeze in a blitzing backer or safety (since we seem to send them up the middle more). 

Really would like to see some of the plays where we shut down the opponents' run games to see what kind of impact he's having there.

Truth be told, whatever is going on here with him, it's certainly not broke and it doesn't need fixing.