• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yahoo.com article: How Phil Snow turned the Panthers’ defense into the NFL’s new nightmare

BlitzMonster

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Here we are doing the exact same ordinary corner blitz 3 times in a row:

Our formations can be odd, but that's not the secret sauce.  Its the epic talent on the line and man coverage on the receivers taking away the quick throws.  They have to go to total pass pro, removing at least one (TE) or two (TE and RB) pass options and they can't double team on the line leaving 1-1 match ups.  With 1 on 1s,  Brown, Daquan, and Nixon  are eventually going to get thru.  

Really the only way out of this I can see is successfully running the ball.  Titans could be a problem for us, good thing they aren't on the schedule.  Fournette will need to have a good day when we play TB if they are going to beat us.

Snow is on that Madden cheese mode, spamming the same defensive plays…love it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

a detailed read about Snow's defense and how others (Sean Payton, Aaron Rodgers) view it

best quote:  "Snow could be the NFL's leader of a new revolution." 

https://sports.yahoo.com/phil-snow-turned-panthers-defense-130802046.html

BTW this was an excellent article. Very informative and makes me even more excited about playing one of those high octane offenses to see how tt works against them.  Nov 14 against Arizona should be intereting.

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

BTW this was an excellent article. Very informative and makes me even more excited about playing one of those high octane offenses to see how tt works against them.  Nov 14 against Arizona should be intereting.

I saw another article recently that showed Reddick would always key in on the QB when not going into coverage. It caused him to be beat during run plays but he would come through clean play action and bootleg passing plays.  Not sure if that was by design or just him over eager to get to the QB,  but I could see them using him or Burns as a QB spy.

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

I saw another article recently that showed Reddick would always key in on the QB when not going into coverage. It caused him to be beat during run plays but he would come through clean play action and bootleg passing plays.  Not sure if that was by design or just him over eager to get to the QB,  but I could see them using him or Burns as a QB spy.

I know each year is different but we beat them last year with half the crew we have this year.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

The personnel will pretty much dictate what he can do. Last year he didn't have time to get these young guys ready from the jump. As the season went on and he had time to get them use to the pace aand flow of what he needed them to do you could see significant improvement in the defense.  He also didn't have much to work with. 

Not so sure we were that much better in the second half. In our last 5 games we gave up 28 points, 32 points, 24 points, 13 points and 33.  Even against Green Bay we gave up 24.

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

You're right.  It was.  We couldn't play man last year because we didn't have the personnel.

When you're outmanned, you don't play man.

Not necessarily. If you are trying to get better you might play your scheme and even though you get burned alot the guys learn in your scheme and improve. Other than Horn we have many of the same guys in the secondary the first 2 games. 

It wasn't like the zone we used was effective either especially with the lack of any pressure. We have surely played better with average to below average safeties and corners in the past.

But enough of the past. I am excited for the present. 

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 1

57 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

8 defensive draft picks in a row.

So because one side of the ball is depleted of talent he is trying to do what he did in college? Who's to say the next 2 years wont be focused on offense. You do understand that the defense has been in the dumps for awhile right. Just because they building it up doesnt necessarily determine he is trying to recreate some college "formula"

The article was a good read and it gave me a lot more insight than just about anything else I've read about Snow's defense. That being said, I'm having a ball watching it right now but I want to make sure this isn't just the flavor of the week defense before I declare it revolutionary.

Buddy Ryan's 53 defense ruled the league until they figured it out. 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

So because one side of the ball is depleted of talent he is trying to do what he did in college? Who's to say the next 2 years wont be focused on offense. You do understand that the defense has been in the dumps for awhile right. Just because they building it up doesnt necessarily determine he is trying to recreate some college "formula"

When you're spending the vast majority of your resources on the defensive side of the ball and you've historically built your teams around defense, it's not exactly a stretch to say that it looks like you're trying to follow the same formula.

I just think it's hilarious some of you guys are getting all emotional about this like I'm knocking the guy. It's just the way he builds his programs. I'm just stating the obvious. He says Snow is the best football coach he's ever met. Hell, I'm starting to believe him on that. Giving the best football coach you've ever met the best possible tools to work with isn't exactly a bad strategy.

• Pie 4

52 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you're spending the vast majority of your resources on the defensive side of the ball and you've historically built your teams around defense, it's not exactly a stretch to say that it looks like you're trying to follow the same formula.

I just think it's hilarious some of you guys are getting all emotional about this like I'm knocking the guy. It's just the way he builds his programs. I'm just stating the obvious. He says Snow is the best football coach he's ever met. Hell, I'm starting to believe him on that. Giving the best football coach you've ever met the best possible tools to work with isn't exactly a bad strategy.

Humor me this...the last say 5 or so superbowl champions what were they ranked in terms of overall offense and defense?