• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why odd fronts don't work vs the run

lightsout

Exactly. Odd fronts do not produce good gap management. Everyone is stacked on the line and almost smothered as the OL moves. They need to review the tape and use traditional 4-3 fronts in certain situations. Snow will learn but the lack of sacks hurt us terribly. 

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Tell that to all those dominant Steelers defenses over the years.

Those defenses operated differently than we did today. Snow LOVES sending pressure. We saw it that last series. We stacked up the line, put our safety in the box, and blitzed at least one linebacker. Every time. Why did it fail? Because you need odd fronts to have two things. A dominant nose that is immovable and requires double and triple teams and linebackers that can read and react quickly. Your ends have to be great two gap defenders. I love our DL, but that isn't what they do. They attack hard and squeeze poo down. They don't jam up the blocker and shed to either side effectively to dominant both gaps.

• Pie 3

I think in a lot of ways we approached this game on defense from the "Don't fix what's not broken" mentality. We have had success with odd fronts and mug sets so far so we basically decided to roll with it and force Dallas to gameplan against it. Well, turns out they did, and in hindsight I'm not sure this was the best approach, but I understand it to a degree. 

I have faith that we'll adjust. 

• Pie 3

I feel like YGM would have been an asset today and that him being out may have hampered their ability to move to a different look. Hell, one of those short yardage/goal line situations it look like there were only 3 down lineman for Carolina. It was just a strange approach overall.

• Pie 2

Just now, Floppin said:

I think in a lot of ways we approached this game on defense from the "Don't fix what's not broken" mentality. We have had success with odd fronts and mug sets so far so we basically decided to roll with it and force Dallas to gameplan against it. Well, turns out they did, and in hindsight I'm not sure this was the best approach, but I understand it to a degree. 

I have faith that we'll adjust. 

Teachable moment. Let's see how Snow adjusts moving forward. I fully expected to see more 4 and 5 man lines to combat the two TE sets, but instead we got rolled down under fronts. Not a bad idea, but not the personnel to do it well.

• Pie 2

Panthers played to defend the pass. Most notable was the small boxes we had. We figured the Cowboys would eat the secondary alive without Burris and Horn, and it showed Snow was overcompensating for it.

Decent plan, if that didn't mean the Cowboys would eat us up on the ground like crazy.

Live and learn. Gotta shore up our integrity at the line and show more doninance there. That was a surprise that I didn't expect nor liked seeing.

Edited by Saca312
  • Pie 6

7 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Those defenses operated differently than we did today. Snow LOVES sending pressure. We saw it that last series. We stacked up the line, put our safety in the box, and blitzed at least one linebacker. Every time. Why did it fail? Because you need odd fronts to have two things. A dominant nose that is immovable and requires double and triple teams and linebackers that can read and react quickly. Your ends have to be great two gap defenders. I love our DL, but that isn't what they do. They attack hard and squeeze poo down. They don't jam up the blocker and shed to either side effectively to dominant both gaps.

You were simply dogging on odd fronts and it wasn't accurate. If you're saying we don't have the personnel to duplicate what all those dominant Steelers' defenses of old did I would agree with that. It's not a condemnation of the scheme itself as a whole. We just don't have the right personnel to implement it against an OL like the Cowboys and a RB like Zeke. That's a lot different than simply making a blanket statement like odd fronts just suck overall against the run.