• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting an OL question

Mr. Scot

45 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Personally, on the Deonte side, I think they've been working him to lose the weight (reportedly he's gone down from 364 at the pro day to 330-ish currently). It's hard to lose that much weight that fast without losing some muscle. There were conditioning issues back then obviously, but there may be different ones now caused by that change.

Still, some reps on special teams as a blocker could help Deonte get into fighting shape.

He was clearly carrying 30lbs+ of additional fat. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Please don't move Moton, I wanted to see him at LT for years, that time has passed. If he played like he has at RT, I don't know where the hope is coming  from that he would be better at LT right now.

I could be wrong but I just don't think that was ever going to happen. He said the right things in camp when asked about it but the staff have shown zero initiative to actually indicate they would make that change. If there is a change it only makes sense to put Christensen at left. As for Deonte idk where this hand wringing about his weight is coming from now. He was a very large man when we drafted him and that hasn't changed now. So if it's a problem why did we draft him again?

Just now, frankw said:

I could be wrong but I just don't think that was ever going to happen. He said the right things in camp when asked about it but the staff have shown zero initiative to actually indicate they would make that change. If there is a change it only makes sense to put Christensen at left. As for Deonte idk where this hand wringing about his weight is coming from now. He was a very large man when we drafted him and that hasn't changed now. So if it's a problem why did we draft him again?

Late day 3 picks are purely flyer-type guys, but he has potential.  He is still a project, but won't improve our situation right now.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

The fact Rhule said he sees BC as a RT is both confusing and scary. Dude has been a LT so why move an underpowered OT to the right? Also the more athletic option away from LT?

No idea but Fritts past comes into play on your last question...and who we brought in as locks to start this year raises further questions.

No idea but this is a big thing to watch so it's not going away until they shake that unit up.

• Poo 1

Paradis, Elflein, and Erving all need to be replaced. Miller too, but not before the other 3.

Unfortunately... Paradis is here for the season. Hopefully it leads to Tyler Linderbaum being drafted to replace him. Unless Christensen or Daley suddenly kill it at practice, we're likely stuck with Erving as well. At this point, we're stuck waiting for a player to get hurt to see whether or not the answer is on the roster.

Edited by Icege

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The fact Rhule said he sees BC as a RT is both confusing and scary. Dude has been a LT so why move an underpowered OT to the right? Also the more athletic option away from LT?

No idea but Fritts past comes into play on your last question...and who we brought in as locks to start this year raises further questions.

No idea but this is a big thing to watch so it's not going away until they shake that unit up.

Perhaps when they finally got a look at Christensen they had second thoughts. Either way our minimal effort approach in the offseason is biting us in the keister pretty badly. It's time for big investments in this oline we have sunk plenty of resources into our defense 💯

25 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He was clearly carrying 30lbs+ of additional fat. 

True, but it is very hard to lose a lot of fat in that short period of time without also losing some muscle mass. Even with extremely monitored exercise programs, the weight loss from caloric restriction hits the muscles early and hard. It balances out in the end, hopefully, but there are a lot of issues there wherein the player could get leaner but weaker on a temporary (hopefully) basis.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Perhaps when they finally got a look at Christensen they had second thoughts. Either way our minimal effort approach in the offseason is biting us in the keister pretty badly. It's time for big investments in this oline we have sunk plenty of resources into our defense 💯

Seems like he could help part time in the run game. The fact they did try is the red flag to me but it's week 4 and they need to find players at at least 2 spots playing significantly better soon. It's evident to all that that won't happen unless they shake it up.

I do have very tempered expectations for the big guys with weight issues. They tend to become injury issues also. Either way, I'm hoping to see some of him in the coming weeks.

• Pie 1

Nothing at this point is really going to make a difference because we do not have another Center. 

I think I would go Erving - Brady - Paradis - Brown - Moton

They can be switched around, but thats the 5 I would go with. 

If we are picking in the late teens or after we need a C. At that point a real LT is probably gone anyway. 

Edited by PootieNunu

51 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I hope you guys are not implying that Fitterer had roster control in Seattle?  He was not the GM there so whoever they ultimately drafted was not his call.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I just can't say how I'd rejigger the line right now, simply because I don't know what the coaches know at the moment. I do know what I've seen and it definitely needs to get better.

And the coaches have seen that, too. There's no way they've missed it.

But they haven't sent Christensen or Brady out there, no matter how much handwringing the fanbase has gone through. There must be a reason. And that might be that they are honestly sending their best five potential blockers out there, sad as that might be. 

I still don’t get it. Where else is there to go when you’re already the worst?

And if you had a second round grade on a player that will be worse than the worst…what does that even mean?

Meh, I’ve given up trying to understand…just need to hope Sam stays healthy.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, mbarbour21 said:

Moton - Erving - Paradis - Brown - BC

I'd rather keep Moton at the position he's best at. If you're going to experiment with Christensen in the starting lineup it should be at LT (assuming Erving is injured) or LG. 

• Pie 1