• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rebuilding vs Winning Now

Mr. Scot

12 hours ago, Gipetto said:

What’s wrong with rebuilding and winning at the same time?

given the size of a roster compared to the amount of churn caused by injuries and free agency, i think you have to constantly be in both mind sets at all time. you can’t wait for the perfect roster, or that final piece, to say, ok now we’re going to start winning. even if you do get the perfect roster, that may only last a season, or even half a game if you suffer a crucial injury.

you practice and play to win with what you have, and you have to constantly be looking to build and get better, and prepare for disaster. separating these two concepts is what gets people stuck in the past or thinking about what ifs.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, Gipetto said:

I feel like the nfl is trying to build up its future power houses and the panthers are next on the list. 

I've been feeling like this too.  I think since Tepper took over, we are on the list as the next up and coming team in the league.  Goodell likes money, and Tepper has a lot of it.  We've been getting a lot more national press and exposure lately, and I really do think they are positioning up to be one of the top teams in the NFC, along with Dallas. 

1 hour ago, NorthTryon said:

This is what I was trying to say in the Darnold thread the other day and was told I had a lottery ticket mentality. I suggested working toward having a competent, young, franchise player backup to Darnold for this very reason. I don't want to look up four or five years down the road and be Jacksonville having to let players walk and trading players like Chinn or Horn for picks. I even like you said loser mentality to not make every move at being competitive. 

Now you're trying to argue that getting a backup / future franchise quarterback is a step toward being competitive right now?

Wow 😆

You're not a Darnold fan. We get it. We all get it. Trying to couch it in other ideas looks pretty silly.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Now you're trying to argue that getting a backup / future franchise quarterback is a step toward being competitive right now?

Wow 😆

You're not a Darnold fan. We get it. We all get it. Trying to couch it in other ideas looks pretty silly.

You get nothing. You argue inside a vacuum and I knew you'd take the bait. It has only been four games, so I don't know what Darnold will end up being for this franchise, but I believe we should have somebody capable behind him. That is all no more no less. We are literally doing as much as possible for all positions on this team as evidenced by Fitts calling around for available lineman and the report of almost having a WR trade with the JAGS this offseason. Again, I'm sorry you're used to Hurney and sitting pat on what you have, but I've always known life could be this way. Thanks for coming out.  

1 minute ago, NorthTryon said:

You get nothing. You argue inside a vacuum and I knew you'd take the bait. It has only been four games, so I don't know what Darnold will end up being for this franchise, but I believe we should have somebody capable behind him. That is all no more no less. We are literally doing as much as possible for all positions on this team as evidenced by Fitts calling around for available lineman and the report of almost having a WR trade with the JAGS this offseason. Again, I'm sorry you're used to Hurney and sitting pat on what you have, but I've always known life could be this way. Thanks for coming out.  

Sure, dude 😁

2 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

And there it is. I have no rebuttle so I'll be dismissive. Mmmkay. Hahahahahaahhahahahaha.

You have to write something worth responding to. Especially considering there's way more interesting discussions going on right now.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

You can’t have the perfect roster. If we wait and wait we end up losing our homegrown talent to FA. 

This team was a fringe playoff team last year with a better QB. We are drastically better than last year. 

There really isn’t much else to rebuild outside of the o-line. 

• Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You have to write something worth responding to. Especially considering there's way more interesting discussions going on right now.

Yeah like the article you linked about how Dallas ran out of the Jumbo set on our undersized defense. Who wrote that article? Was it Captain Obvious? Hahahahahahahhaha.

• Pie 1

We’re doing both.

Rebuilding is still the priority but with what Fet has done since he got here, it makes us way ahead of what most consider a 3-4 year process. 
They’ve got the defense personnel rockin.

I truly believe he’ll find the O line players when they are available or through the draft . 

Players / agents , around the league are watching what Fet and Rhule are doing. More good players will look at us now as not being a team on a 4 yr rebuild . 

Other teams in a rebuild are not where we are after Rhule’s first 20 games . 

Fingers crossed, we maybe make the playoffs.  That’s way ahead of schedule. Fingers crossed we continue to build this team at every chance we get . 

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

Yeah like the article you linked about how Dallas ran out of the Jumbo set on our undersized defense. Who wrote that article? Was it Captain Obvious? Hahahahahahahhaha.

Again, wow 🙄

Tell you what, dude. I'm willing to give you one final breakdown just to be nice but after that I don't really plan to revisit this discussion because frankly I think it's kinda silly. Plus, as mentioned, there are way more interesting things to talk about at the moment.

Take a look at where the Panthers are right now.

- They have a quarterback they believe in

- Said quarterback is only 24 years old

- Their protection of that young quarterback they believe in is lacking because of subpar offensive line personnel

- On the other side of the ball, while they're good up front, on the outside and on the edges, there are some questions in the middle of the defense

- But even so, the team believes they can win with what they have

Got all that? Good 😐

Now, most football minds aren't going to look at the combination of factors listed here and come away saying to themselves "Well clearly, the first thing they need to prioritize is drafting a franchise quarterback of the future"

But that's where you are...

Oy 😕

Again, I get it. You don't believe in Darnold. I'm guessing you probably wanted Justin Fields. The Panthers didn't. Let It go.

Right now, Darnold is the guy. Heck, per Jeff Howe the team has already given some thought to extending him as long as he continues to play like he has so far.

So no, drafting a young guy to compete with him doesn't look to be on the table. Nor should it be. As discussed above, there are way bigger needs.

If something happens and Darnold declines massively over the rest of the season, then this might be a viable topic. As of right now though, it's just not.

And in reality, whether you like it or not, it might not be anytime soon.

That's just how it is. Complain about it if you want but it's not gonna change anything. The better choice would be to enjoy the ride like the rest of us are.

But hey, you be you.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3