• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephon Gilmore: Why this was such a slam dunk

CanadianCat

17 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I'm having a really hard time seeing how this could be a bad move for us and a lot of reasons this was a slam dunk. Here are a few...

Mentoring the youth: Gilmore is known to be a 'pro's pro'. Some are saying that just having him in the same room as Henderson will bring Henderson (and Horn) along much faster and 'fix' whatever people think is wrong with him

Never enough quality corners: Our CB room is full and full of high level talent. Allowing Henderson to be CB 3 or 4 will take the pressure off him and only make the entire defense better. We now have the ability to get coverage sacks along side our regular blitzes and pass rush. 

If he balls out and walks: He Gilmore comes back and plays at an all pro level and we dont resign him, he will likely get a 3rd round comp pick for him. Considering we traded 6th rounded in 2 years from now thats a steal of a deal. 

If he balls out, we resign and let DJack walk: I dont think this will happen but of the coaching staff and FO (whom I fully trust) think this is the best move, likely we will then also get a high level comp pick for him while still having Henderson and Horn as top end talent in that room. 

Salary Cap: Signing him has really no impact for future plans unless we resign him but looking at this year only, we had the space and secured a top end player.

If we resign him and DJack: I think these would be 2 very different contracts. Gilmore would likely be a 3 year deal but with the 3rd year voidable. DJack would likely be a 5 year deal. We have the space to sign both, and Gilmore would likely be gone before we need to sign Henderson and Horn. 

Im running though all the scenario and think this was a master work signing all the way around. 

I think there is a real possibility that we keep both Gilmore and Jackson past this season.  We have the luxury of having both Henderson and Horn on very cheap rookie deals for the foreseeable future.  We could structure both Jackson and Gilmores deals in such a way that they don't cripple our cap, and they could both be off the books by the time its time to pay Horn and Henderson. 

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Getting an All pro, DPOY for peanuts will always be a slam dunk, I think the discord here is that there isn't much being done for the O-line that is clearly the weakest link in this team. At least nothing official. 

Cannot complain about whats not on the menu. Gilmore was served up. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

Getting an All pro, DPOY for peanuts will always be a slam dunk, I think the discord here is that there isn't much being done for the O-line that is clearly the weakest link in this team. At least nothing official. 

If only teams were making All-Pro, Gilmore caliber Left Tackles available for a 2023 late round pick....

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

The only discord is from morons who can't grasp the concept that there haven't been olineman available for trade.

Regarding the thread, yes this move was a no brainer.  Win win move.

• Pie 8

26 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I'm having a really hard time seeing how this could be a bad move for us and a lot of reasons this was a slam dunk. Here are a few...

Mentoring the youth: Gilmore is known to be a 'pro's pro'. Some are saying that just having him in the same room as Henderson will bring Henderson (and Horn) along much faster and 'fix' whatever people think is wrong with him

Never enough quality corners: Our CB room is full and full of high level talent. Allowing Henderson to be CB 3 or 4 will take the pressure off him and only make the entire defense better. We now have the ability to get coverage sacks along side our regular blitzes and pass rush. 

If he balls out and walks: He Gilmore comes back and plays at an all pro level and we dont resign him, he will likely get a 3rd round comp pick for him. Considering we traded 6th rounded in 2 years from now thats a steal of a deal. 

If he balls out, we resign and let DJack walk: I dont think this will happen but of the coaching staff and FO (whom I fully trust) think this is the best move, likely we will then also get a high level comp pick for him while still having Henderson and Horn as top end talent in that room. 

Salary Cap: Signing him has really no impact for future plans unless we resign him but looking at this year only, we had the space and secured a top end player.

If we resign him and DJack: I think these would be 2 very different contracts. Gilmore would likely be a 3 year deal but with the 3rd year voidable. DJack would likely be a 5 year deal. We have the space to sign both, and Gilmore would likely be gone before we need to sign Henderson and Horn. 

Im running though all the scenario and think this was a master work signing all the way around. 

Good point about the comp pick. Even if it ends up being a fifth, as someone else mentioned, that's an upgrade.

• Pie 1

WE didn't know for fact henderson and Gilmore were available for trade to after the moves were made. This information is never plastered on a billboard for everybody to see, nobody here is in a front office  so i dont get the informative takes.

Edited by CPF4LIFE

12 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

WE didn't know for fact henderson and Gilmore were available for trade to after the moves were made. This information is never plastered on a billboard for everybody to see, nobody here is in a front office  so i dont get the informative takes.

Are you saying that because we as fans, don't know what's going on. That we aren't allowed to speculate?

Because, precisely because we as fans have no information, all we have is speculation.

I'm asking, because your post is a tad...confusing.

20 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Your comment is confusing.

Obviously none of us here could have predicted this, but it is easy to see expected or predicted outcomes of this. 

20 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

And also you forget to mention - 

-Avoid him to join TB or GB from or other NFC teams.

-We now have more leverage to negotiate the contract with DJ. We can afford him to leave If he wants more money.

Although I do agree that nabbing Gilmore was a we got him, and you didn't type win-win. I can't agree it gives us leverage with DJ. With more and more teams going 4, or even 5 wide. We need to keep him. 

• Pie 2