• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next Gen Stats - How bad it really was

Zod

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Continuously changing lineups hasn't helped.

That said, changes are still warranted. If nothing else, Dennis Daley badly needs to be benched.

Both Miller and Daley need to be benched. We played roulette with the oline last year as well. Honestly, everyhting about yesterday's game was identical to our Vikings game last year. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

There has never, ever been a single game performance by the OL worse than that one, at least in Panthers history. 

Actually, the Minnesota game in 2016 is close.  Cam got sacked 8 times in that one.  And of course the Super Bowl.  Still, I don't think either of those were as bad as that night in Philly. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

The OL wasn't the only problem yesterday. 

Eagles DBs calling out WRs running the same routes out of the same formations after the game. 

Darnold missing open throws with plenty of time to throw. 

Darnold forcing the ball to receivers when he has open receivers elsewhere he didn't even look at.

Blame is definitely on the OL but there's plenty more of it to go around. 

The offensive performance yesterday was abysmal.

This is one that is inexcusable to me.

Whatever happened to "Take what the Defense gives you", Sam?  

I'd love to know why some teams in this league feel they can "get by" with an average OL. Has their been multiple Super Bowl winners in recent memory who did it? If so, ok ... that's their proof. I honestly don't know. But damn, when you look at teams that are good year after year, it seems to me that their QB is not running for his life. I'm sure some stat geek can figure that out. I've been saying since the days of Jake that OL is one of, if not the most, important aspects of an elite team.

• Beer 2

9 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Drafting need will only make the problems worse.  Hurney drafted for need after the 1st round.  That worked out so well.

I understand the theory of drafting best overall player, and overall I mostly agree with it

BUT

if followed with no accounting for the ease vs difficulty of filling different positions AND other factors like, oh I don't know, protecting your first year QB that you're essentially trying out to see if he's as bad as his 3 years with the Jets or if it was mostly the Jets, I'd say that's not exactly optimal either. 

Continuing to draft quality WR's that can be had a dime a dozen while knowing full well quality OL are so scarce no team is gonna let go of them without a harsh price hasn't worked out well for us either. 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Mage said:

The only offensive line in Panthers history that I can remember being worse, is 2014.  

Isn't that crazy though?  For as bad as this OL is, I STILL don't think it is half as bad as the one that year.  At least until Norwell and Turner started later in the season.  

The line the majority of the season IIRC

Byron Bell

Amini Silatolu

Ryan Kalil

Fernando Velasco

Nate Chandler

Now the question is does this team have any Norwell/Turner's they can insert into the line-up late in the season?  I'd say our only hope is Deonte Brown.  Play Moton/Brady at the tackles spot, hope Brown works out at guard, allows us to move Erving to the other guard position.  That leaves Paradis but not much we can do about that.  

I remember Gettleman telling us that Bell had “left tackle” feet.

• Flames 1

Just now, mc52beast said:

I remember Gettleman telling us that Bell had “left tackle” feet.

I'm still stunned when I think back that this organization actually full on planned to go into the season with Bell and Chandler starting at OT. Like, professional football evaluators looked at that situation, signed off on it, and decided this was a great plan of action. Oh wee mayne.

12 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

And people gave me grief for being upset we took Marshall in the 2nd over a quality OL, even after I made it clear my problem wasn't with Marshall but with continuing to ignore the OL til later rounds. Let's take a quick poll, who would trade Marshall right now for a quality interior lineman?

But Robbie's not under contract next year, so we needed another WR.

/sarcasm