• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graham Gano: Panthers doctors misdiagnosed career-threatening injury

therealmjl

5 hours ago, onmyown said:

I know Doctors are human and multiple opinions should be a no brainer when it comes to your health but how do you miss a fracture in the largest bone in your body and somehow relate it to a tendon? Doesn’t a simple x-ray show you the bone? Very odd to me.

Gano most likely had a stress fracture due to the repetitive nature of kicking. His leg didn't snap in half. Almost all bony stress fractures rarely show up on X-rays and in some cases, don't show on MRI's either. But that doesn't excuse the fact that the Panther medical staff did a shitty job in handling the injury.

17 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Oh no, Kicker revenge game this weekend.

Everyone wear goggles in preparation for the blood and guts. 

I dunno, I would actually have a good laugh if he beats us with a FG to win it, goes to the camera and tells us to keep his lawn cut.  🤣

I'm not sure this should come as a surprise.  Anyone with eyes could see something was wrong in 2018.

Do you blame the trainer?  I dunno, a little maybe.  The trainer is really a guy who focuses on recovery.  Getting players ready for the games.  Maybe the trainer should have said something along the lines of "Hey, this isn't improving the way it should".

Do you blame the doctors?  Yea, of course.  It's their job to look at the situation, run whatever tests are necessary and diagnose the issue.  It's not an easy job, but they are paid well . . . even moreso working for an NFL team with million dollar athletes I'm sure.

Do you blame the player?  Yea, probably a little.  When something doesn't feel right, you really owe it to yourself to get a second opinion.  Doctors aren't perfect, and sometimes having a second opinion can open up some avenues of thought that are helpful.  Many players DO get second opinions from outside doctors.  I haven't read anything to indicate Gano did that.

There's blame to go around for the mis-diagnosis for sure.

The real blame should fall on the team for getting rid of him.  Doesn't matter who made that decision, it was clearly the wrong one.  Missed kicks tend to have a much wider impact than is generally accorded them.  They can change a lot of decision making in the game, and these decision can really affect the outcome.  All I know is it sure would be nice to have him on the team right about now.