• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In support of Coach Rhule

PanthersATL

Here's a list of other NFL coaches who came from college.  Some highlights below.

there's some history to show some college coaches HAVE been successful in the NFL. Give Rhule some time -- these coaches were given a chance and it paid off for them.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/college_coaches_who_successfully_made_the_leap_to_the_nfl/s1__34613570#slide_1

• Pete Carroll (granted, he had prior NFL experience - but he spent 9 years at USC before joining Seattle)
  • Chuck Fairbanks - went from Oklahoma to NE, and turned the team around in 3 years.
  • Jim Harbaugh (yeah, had some prior NFL experience too before going to Stanford)
  • Jimmy Johnson
  • John McKay - left USC to helm the "NFL's ultimate fixer-upper, the worst in league history" and coached through a rebuild with #1 defense and post-season playf

and the one that smells most familiar to our current situation:

• Bobby Ross - took the Chargers from 0-4 to the playoffs, despite Stan Humphries at QB
  • Pie 3
  • Poo 4

It's year two so I will support him. Still what really concerns me the most though is our coordinators. I really wish he had gone with at least one experienced one. I think we will be looking for a new OC next year exactly because of that and that means learning a new system. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Scott12345 said:

I’ll stay in his corner…if our players suck as much as ours do, not a whole lot any coach can do

Here's a fair question: who acquired said players?

Who:
- traded for Darnold
- ignored the offense for an entire draft
- skipped picking any OL in multiple rounds this year
- extended Robby Anderson to a big deal
- kept his college QB as the backup because he was his college QB
- advocated for signing two of the league's worst OL to hilarious deals early in free agency

• Beer 5
  • Flames 2

I still believe in Rhule, and I think it is just hard for any HC to win games with a bad QB.

Obviously yes, he deserves blame for deciding to hedge his bets on said QB.  But he'd be far from the first good HC to make a poor decision at QB.

I do think this team would absolutely be good enough to win with an elite QB like Watson, so we'll see how that goes.  I will say, if a year from now, we're still in the same place, then yes it will be time to make a decision.  But I don't know, the team isn't really underperforming to me.  I expected them to be a mediocre team.  They look like a mediocre team.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

I’ll stay in his corner…if our players suck as much as ours do, not a whole lot any coach can do

Rhule has final say on the roster. If our players "suck" then Rhule is to blame for it as much as Fitt/Hurney/whoever else.

• Flames 6

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

It's year two so I will support him. Still what really concerns me the most though is our coordinators. I really wish he had gone with at least one experienced one. I think we will be looking for a new OC next year exactly because of that and that means learning a new system. 

I think we have our guy in Sean Ryan.  Very well-respected around the league.  A lot of experience working with talented QBs and WRs.  Matt Stafford liked him a lot.  I'd be surprised if he isn't next-in-like for OC.

I've been lukewarm in my support of him all along, just out of blind hope that he panned out. I wasn't thrilled about the staff he brought in considering how light it was on NFL experience. I even made a thread about how hiring all his familiar coaches could torpedo the Rhule era before it even starts.

The team showed promise despite being severely undermanned in 2020 and never quit even in games they got blown out so I thought he could be a good coach given a better team.

Well here we are after the first true game the team absolutely quit. Haven't seen that kind of performance since 2010 when the team quit on Clausen and Fox. I don't see it getting any better from here on out.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Rhule has final say on the roster. If our players "suck" then Rhule is to blame for it as much as Fitt/Hurney/whoever else.

I feel like our players don't suck though.

I mean maybe I'm in the minority... but I still like a lot of our roster.  It's the OL and QB that can be blamed for the majority of our problems.  Rhule deserves criticism for not doing more for the OL in his 2 years here, but I think he deserves another offseason to prove that he is willing and able to make the upgrades necessary to that unit.  I have confidence that the front office will spend the money to fix it.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Chuck Fairbanks - never heard of him 

Bobby Ross - who

John McKay - never heard of this guy either 

it’s not going to work out with Ruhle. You can keep searching for anything to try and convince yourself otherwise but when you get taken to the woodshed by Joe Judge I don’t know what else to say lol 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1