• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold doesn't bother me

BrianS

It was a roll of the dice. Good coaching and a decent offensive line might have given him a chance. Might. Had it worked, it would have been the genius move. It looked like one for those first three games and even the extension didn't look that bad.

Then reality hit. 

The offensive line sucked and was getting reshuffled every week. And coaching didn't seem to be developing him, but instead just left him floundering with a limited playbook and is best weapon/safety blanket on IR. For one shining moment at the end of the Minnesota game, we got to see what might have been. But it was just a fleeting glimpse. Belichick or Tomlin or Reid could fix him. Rhule and Brady really weren't capable of doing so.

But, here we are with 10 games to watch and the knowledge that the back-up QB is even worse. Maybe a miracle will happen and Darnold will develop, the line will gel and Brady will use a full-scale, pro playbook. Our receivers will learn how to catch again and our defense will shut people out again.

It ain't gonna happen. It ain't gonna happen, though. We're in the 2020s and our team reflects the times. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Kuhndog94 said:

I've always disliked the Sam trade. 

However, I must admit I defended the Teddy signing early last year until it was clear he really was just Teddy checkdown.

I disliked both. Obvious for Sam why that was, but with Teddy it was entirely on performance. His best season before signing, he threw 14 touchdowns. When Cam had his best year, he ran for more TDs than that. And then I thought the NFL record is 51-52. And he had weapons in Minnesota. Pair that with the contract and I was struggling with my Panthers' fandom. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The offensive line sucked and was getting reshuffled every week. And coaching didn't seem to be developing him, but instead just left him floundering with a limited playbook and is best weapon/safety blanket on IR. For one shining moment at the end of the Minnesota game, we got to see what might have been. But it was just a fleeting glimpse. Belichick or Tomlin or Reid could fix him. Rhule and Brady really weren't capable of doing so.

I don't know about these coaches being able to fix Darnold, but I do know this. And it throws a huge shadow of doubt on Tepper. When he was minority owner of the Steelers, he wanted to fire Tomlin when Big Ben's had injury bug started to resurface. The team was down, but Tomlin rallied them to a winning season. In fact he's never had a losing season as their coach, but if it was up to our current owner he would not still be the coach of the Steelers. Let that marinate.  

• Pie 2

Darnold was playing well until two of his three favorite targets were taken away. 

It’s not a secret this offense was tailored to take advantage of two things: CMC YAC and an athletic TE. 

In the last three weeks the TE we traded away has 10/123 on 15 targets. With CAR he has 7/84 on 11 targets. Four targets per game doesn’t sound like a lot but Tremble has had more than 2 targets ONCE the entire year. Which means Darnold doesn’t think he’s getting open. Which means a normally easy throw over the middle or on a quick out isn’t getting thrown. 

CMC probably would be averaging 8-9 targets if he was still playing. Chuba has been averaging 4 targets per game since CMC went out.

So….two guys, really reliable, normally coverage mismatches and would account for around 13 targets per game were replaced by two rookies who are averaging together about 6 targets per game (MAX). 

That will probably make you look like you suck worse than you actually are. He went from running a high completion percentage offense to running an offense predicated on getting the ball downfield to receivers bc the short targets aren’t easy to get to anymore. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I'm not mad at Darnold he's still a project who needs a lot of work. He's showing to have more arm talent than Teddy could ever dream of but he's still so far behind in the mental aspect of the game. It makes you wonder if he did any actual development while he was on the jets. People are expecting year 4 Qb play from someone who's still processes the game like a rookie. However I am mad at the chargers for stealing our chances to take Herbert. It was so clear in 2020 that he was the pick and seeing him tear up the league hurts. 

20 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

I don't know about these coaches being able to fix Darnold, but I do know this. And it throws a huge shadow of doubt on Tepper. When he was minority owner of the Steelers, he wanted to fire Tomlin when Big Ben's had injury bug started to resurface. The team was down, but Tomlin rallied them to a winning season. In fact he's never had a losing season as their coach, but if it was up to our current owner he would not still be the coach of the Steelers. Let that marinate.  

Yeah. The team's owner is lackluster at best. People used to complain about JR meddling in the team, but Tepper has his handprints all over the team like it was his trophy wife's ass.

He's a schmuck going through a mid-life crisis. 

41 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It was a roll of the dice. Good coaching and a decent offensive line might have given him a chance. Might. Had it worked, it would have been the genius move. It looked like one for those first three games and even the extension didn't look that bad.

Then reality hit. 

But, here we are with 10 games to watch and the knowledge that the back-up QB is even worse. Maybe a miracle will happen and Darnold will develop, the line will gel and Brady will use a full-scale, pro playbook. Our receivers will learn how to catch again and our defense will shut people out again.

It ain't gonna happen. It ain't gonna happen, though. We're in the 2020s and our team reflects the times. 

CMC, if he comes back, will make many things better

perhaps enough to win a couple of games 

never know 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Winston is exactly what Watson is accused of. 

Keep him far the fug away from my team. 

The Saints WOULD fuging pick him up considering their involvement in covering up catholic church molestation. They deserve each other. 

Would have taken literally anyone else over him. Even Teddy again.

People just gloss over that he basically got away with rape at FL State because he won them a championship. Somehow focusing on the fact that he's a literal moron is just easier for most fans. Glad we didn't sign him or Watson. 

4 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

I liked the Darnold trade at the time. I bought into the 'jets ruined him' narrative. That said my first option was Minshew. I think he is really under rated and would have cost significantly less. 

There still is a lot of season left.. Im hopeful that Darnold can get past this... 😬

Why are you sh*tting on my post? He is on some Daniel Snyder type stuff. And Sam Darnold ain't getting past his slow release, his slow progressions, or his lack of accuracy if he hasn't as a soon to be four year starter. And if Gardner Minshew was your first option what the hell do you want in a QB other than mediocrity?

14 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Why are you sh*tting on my post? He is on some Daniel Snyder type stuff. And Sam Darnold ain't getting past his slow release, his slow progressions, or his lack of accuracy if he hasn't as a soon to be four year starter. And if Gardner Minshew was your first option what the hell do you want in a QB other than mediocrity?

First off, its a pretty wild statement that Tepper is 'Snyder-esk' so maybe just slow your roll unless you have actual allegations. Snyder is a garbage human. I think your just mad at Tepper cause he has not built a super bowl caliber team in 2 years. 

Secondly, there is no 'disagree' button so its the poo. In that case I poo on your post cause I think its a bad take.. 🤷‍♂️

Thirdly, Minshew actually had some very impressive stats. Considering the surrounding cast he had to work with he was pretty impressive. If we are throwing darts at QB, which is what we are doing, then he's not a bad player to take a shot on.