• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule's Contract...

BIGH2001

1 hour ago, Jmac said:

Tepper has been playing with $$$ his whole career. Move it around and gamble on the outcome. He knows how to make a buck and his hedge fund business made him  billions.

I don't see him sticking with a mistake because he overpaid. Fact is, his next moves are totally unpredictable at this point. He may just say fug it and fire everyone next season and start over.

Exactly, he can look at the numbers and realize he'd be better off paying Rhule his $50 million left and getting a better coach, who will potentially actually fill the stadium. A half empty stadium for a whole season is probably a bigger loss than just paying off Rhule and moving on. Not that I agree with getting Watson, but Tepper would probably let Watson pick his own head coach if that's what it would take for him to sign here. 

35 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:
2 hours ago, Jmac said:

Exactly, he can look at the numbers and realize he'd be better off paying Rhule his $50 million left and getting a better coach, who will potentially actually fill the stadium. A half empty stadium for a whole season is probably a bigger loss than just paying off Rhule and moving on.

This.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Jmac said:

Tepper has been playing with $$$ his whole career. Move it around and gamble on the outcome. He knows how to make a buck and his hedge fund business made him  billions.

I don't see him sticking with a mistake because he overpaid. Fact is, his next moves are totally unpredictable at this point. He may just say fug it and fire everyone next season and start over.

Right when you have billions...thats more than one lol wtf is 8.5 million. He makes that on interest in his weakest account many times over no doubt.

It’s not so much that it matters that Rhule is one of the highest paid coaches, it’s the fact that it speaks volumes about Tepper as an owner. 

On one hand, you can give him kudos that he’s going to spend when he sees something he wants. I guess that’s a good thing. 

on the other hand, he falls right in line with most of the worst CEO’s and upper management I’ve seen. Promoting someone to a position of power in a company with no experience or who is under qualified. It’s a classic mistake in the white collar world that many organizations make and Tepper just followed it to a T. 

I guess you have to pick whether you are more excited that he will spare no expense or that you are more fearful at his lack of judgement.   I’m the latter. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

on the other hand, he falls right in line with most of the worst CEO’s and upper management I’ve seen. Promoting someone to a position of power in a company with no experience or who is under qualified. It’s a classic mistake in the white collar world that many organizations make and Tepper just followed it to a T. 

I've seen this too lately and it is a deviation from how poo used to be. Modern times...just lol sometimes man. 

8 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

No, but it shows just how damn stupid this move was.  He gave Super Bowl winning money to a guy who had never coached an NFL game. We have a bigger problem here...

I think it's just as likely that Tepper overpaid for his coach because with the salary cap it's one of the few places he can make his wealth matter. I predict as long as Tepper is our owner, whoever our head coach is may be overpaid relative to their prior track record or accomplishments. It's one of the only ways he can leverage his billions that potentially has an impact on on field results.

Now whether he is any good at picking the right head coach is an unrelated matter, but he'll always have the ability to pay a premium to make sure he gets who he wants. You'd likely do the same in his shoes and it would be unrelated to your ability to pick the right coach.

• Pie 2