• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading for CJ Henderson was a mistake.

hepcat

I'm not sure if the Henderson deal was a mistake, and I'm not sure how anyone could be at this point.  That trade could easily have been one that looks to next year.  We just don't know yet.

Would I like to see Henderson on the field so we can get a better idea of what he brings?  Yes, of course.  But at the same time, do I really want to shake up what looks like a really, really good defense?  Not especially.

Edited by BrianS

31 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Who said to give up on him? He just hasn't shown any ability to play yet.

What other way am I supposed to take the OP? 

It's not all that was said, but the first paragraph says it all.

"I’m just gonna go ahead and mark this trade under FAILURE. It was a total knee jerk move to replace Jaycee Horn and it has failed"

The trade was always seen as a buy low, future thinking move on a guy with insane potential. Nothing about that has changed so far. I don't care what Arnold is doing in Jacksonville; we were barely using him and he was mostly taking snaps better reserved for Tremble. We swapped a 3rd for what will probably be the 2nd pick of the 5th round; you can't ignore the latter aspect of that, especially considering OP is touting the rise of Taylor who was drafted in the latter half of the 5th himself. 

It could absolutely ultimately be a terrible trade. That determination can be decided in about 2 years. We have no need for CJ this year when we're stacked in the CB department. Who cares if he's inactive where he can focus on getting healthy and learning the defense, vs seeing 15% of snaps per game, especially with the defense playing as good as it is now. With Gilmore and Jackson free agents, CJ can be a cheap option to replace one of them. And it saves us from being desperate to overpay either/both or draft a replacement in 2022 when we were already down our 2nd and 4th. It's not hard to envision CJ elevating to a 3rd/4th CB next year with significant time during inevitable injuries by starters, then turning into a solid starter the following year. Then the trade is justifiable. If not, then yeah, you win some, you lose some. Getting upset about it now is silly.

54 minutes ago, travisura said:

Oh everyone seems happy? lemme bring up a roster move I didn't like so I can keep that negativity train rolling

Or we could discuss all the stuff happening, good and bad. This place isn't supposed to be your morning Xanax. Even the best teams have things that can be negative. 

In itself it's not a big deal but when combined with the other moves made, it's going to be part of the draft hurdle.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Or we could discuss all the stuff happening, good and bad. This place isn't supposed to be your morning Xanax. Even the best teams have things that can be negative. 

In itself it's not a big deal but when combined with the other moves made, it's going to be part of the draft hurdle.

Listen I understand that you're a cynical nihilist and will always see things as glass half-empty, but when one of the most beloved players in the franchise's history mends old wounds and re-signs with the team, most people are not going to appreciate a wet blanket being thrown on the celebration by a serial doom-poster, whose only intention, it seems, is to bring the mood down. I mean we don't even know how the CJ trade will end up working out so why pick now to bitch about it?

4 minutes ago, travisura said:

Listen I understand that you're a cynical nihilist and will always see things as glass half-empty, but when one of the most beloved players in the franchise's history mends old wounds and re-signs with the team, most people are not going to appreciate a wet blanket being thrown on the celebration by a serial doom-poster, whose only intention, it seems, is to bring the mood down. I mean we don't even know how the CJ trade will end up working out so why pick now to bitch about it?

Some of us are big boys who can handle talking about multiple subjects, from the highest highs to the lowest lowes without making it a 'mood first' thing, whatever that is.

It is a subject that will continue into the offseason. The fact you follow the 'serial doom poster' around to whine says more about you then him.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1