• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions on who is at fault for Cam's departure??

WOW!!

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I agree with this. 

I think people look at letting Cam go the wrong way.  It wasn't necessarily letting him go that was the problem.  It was the moves we made after (Teddy, Sam) that were the issue.  We absolutely should have stuck with Kyle Allen, or signed a vet QB to a cheap 1 year deal (ala what WFT did with Fitz).  Tank the season.  Instead we overly-committed to an average at best QB and a bad QB.

I didn't want Cam to get released back then, but I understood the rationale.  Never understood the Teddy signing.  Somewhat understood trading for Sam, but never understood picking up his 5th year option.  

Even with teddy and sam i can understand the rationale....i don't think it was the best thing to do, giving either guy extra years before we know what they really bring to the table, but you want to show that you have some faith in what they can do. i blame the extra contract length on marty because that's just a think he would do. what they did with sam, they just had too much confidence in their ability to see potential and coach it up. 

the separation from Cam was a tough call, but i still don't think it was a wrong one. how and when we let him go was a problem, but letting him go i think was good for a new regime trying to create it's identity and  good for him (as far as maturing and gaining new experience with another org).

I think most of us have thought about about all that got us to this point. I feel very strongly that Rhule did not realize how difficult it would be to find a capable replacement when Cam was released. I do feel that Cam perhaps overestimated his value on the market. Not every coach can deal with the strong persona that Cam brings. A lot of egos led us to this point. I do think that (though everyone involved would not admit it) all parties realize the Panthers need Cam, and Cam needs the Panthers. I just hope this has a happy ending.

Both. Brady and Rhule's inadequacies in evaluations and NFL experience led to them believing in being able to easily replace Cam. Cam was coming off of 2 injured years, a whole other rant, wanting a giant contract and being very public about it. 

The way the staff handled it was pure ass. They held him too long, the fugged up a clean and clear PR stance and whatever Hurney was contributing to the mess. Just be up front and let him test the market or have enough backbone to look him on the eye and say no thank you and good luck.

It was a great time for both to come back together.

I've heard and read a fair amount of nuance on this very topic.

I think it played out like this:

• Everyone happy to work together.
  • Cam wasn't willing to give up money/security to make Rhule & Co feel secure.
  • Based on his injury history the past two season, Rhule & Co didn't feel great about rolling with Cam and Kyle Allen.
  • Brady & Rhule wanted Teddy because of system familiarity and they loved the guy.  Cam is Cam - both the good and the bad of things.  
  • Rhule decided to break with Cam over contract/health issues.  A business decision for the team.
  • Then began the complete cluster fug of QB mistakes leading to tons of money to Teddy and Sam when the guy they needed was always there...

I think it was a decision that seemed good at the time, but it's very easy to point to who wrong it was.  And heck, maybe Cam needed his current experience to realize how important being a Carolina Panther was to him?

You can't go back in time and play what-if games.  Instead, you have to keep going forward!

It was a business decision.  Cam had not shown much in 2 years and was battling recurring injuries--that is what happens when you have been used like he was for many seasons.  Keeping Cam would have necessitated a contract in the $30m per year range for at least 4 seasons.  It was never personal or about how much they liked Cam the player or person.  Business decisions that project the future rely on data and past performance.  2017 was his last good season and he did not seem fully recovered.

I want to see 7 solid games from him and a 2-3 year contract to follow.  Then we can go after a LT.