• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera sums up his and Cam’s Panthers tenure in one maddening sentence

Cary Kollins

Let's recap the last QB's to win superbowls...

Mahomes

Brady

Russell 

And the one off of ''Foles'' who's team isn't in that position without Wentz who was set to be MVP that year

I don't want to here that crap about a ''QB not being the offense'' you need a star + caliber talent at that position to have sustained success, any franchise with sustained success has a star + QB and competent, modern coaching. 

From 2011 - 2019 we had the star + QB. 

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

This just reads to me that no he doesn’t want a star quarterback. A star quarterback doesn’t have replicable skills. Just confirms to me that Cam could have been one of the greatest players to ever play the game with a different head coach, one that wasn’t jealous of him quite frankly. 

Ron views his qb and his offense as a tool to keep his defense off the field. Ball control is the primary objective and scoring is secondary. 

THIS

• Pie 2

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

WFT is basically what Rivera's Panthers would have been without Cam.  In other words, not making the playoffs unless the rest of the division forfeits.

We did sneak into the playoffs on a losing record...Just reminding you that he's even had fortune smile on him and he STILL couldn't muster much with all the talent he was given. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

what a stupid ass philosophy 

To be fair, Rhule tried that the ''QB is just apart of this'' approach as well, and this is where it led us. All off-season he was selling that ''Sam just needs to focus on his job, and be one of the guys''. 

This isn't college (Rhule) and it's not 1985 (Ron), on any good to great NFL team, the QB is NOT just one of the 53, and in MOST cases the QB usurps the coach from a fan / business perspective because coaches outside a handful (Belichek, Tomlin, Carroll) are more replaceable than a franchise QB. 

No one came to Patriots games to see Bill, they came to see Tom, in the NFL, the QB is the franchise, it's why they're called franchise QB's and make the money that they do. They allow you to win, and they allow the owners and the NFL to make money consistently. 

When Cam has to come back and call out the fan base you know what it was becoming, because I'll tell you right now, I wasn't going to go to any games this season, and this off-season the Darnold move did nothing for me as I knew that poo was not going to be sustained because he sucks. Good >> Great QBs can still show what they have in less than ideal environments, there's nothing about Sam that suggested anything other than ''he has arm talent''. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

WFT is basically what Rivera's Panthers would have been without Cam.  In other words, not making the playoffs unless the rest of the division forfeits.

Gotta love that LB'er selection in the 1st round (Jamin Davis) -- signed Fitzpatrick, and rolled with Heinecke, and Allen. 

Like they were really trying to play with that for 2021, they could've traded up for Fields (11) or Jones (15) -- instead they stand pat at 19 and take a LB'er. 

Whether Hurney was the GM or not, the influence alongside Rivera was there.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

To be fair, Rhule tried that the ''QB is just apart of this'' approach as well, and this is where it led us. All off-season he was selling that ''Sam just needs to focus on his job, and be one of the guys''. 

I agree about Rhule and the QB. Though, with a just competent QB, we would be in better position for the playoffs. If Sam was just a little better, we'd be 7-3 right now at least.

That said, a great defense and okay QB will get you to the playoffs, but you MUST have a great QB if you want a Lombardi. Without a great QB, the best you can is luck yourself into a SB win. (See Foles, Manning.)

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

New from The Athletic:

Rivera, like any head coach, desires a star quarterback. But this time he wants one with different, more replicable skills. “I want a quarterback to be part of our offense, not the offense,” he told The Athletic. “I wanted to be balanced, because losing Cam like we did … I kept thinking, ‘Gosh, that’s what happens when you rely on a quarterback so much.’”

No fugging poo Ron. This right here sums up why Ron will always be a mediocre head coach at best. Good luck WFT, better hope you land a once in a generation type QB talent to mask your coaching deficiencies.

Mad respect! He is giving supreme respect to Cam. He is also a better coach than Matt small pen Rhulle 

• Poo 2

55 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Mad respect! He is giving supreme respect to Cam. He is also a better coach than Matt small pen Rhulle 

I am willing to guarantee that the Panthers would not be 5-5 right now with Ron Rivera, unless he was able to bring McDermott back as DC.  

• Pie 1