• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How does this Cb situation play out going foward?

WOW!!

29 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Positional value dictates MLB isn that big of a need.. Carter at the right price is solid and all you need when surrounded by Good DT's  and LBS around him..

Of course, much like a pass rush and stuffing the run game helps DBs.  But this defense gets gashed on occasion, and this franchise has valued MLB-  Mills, Morgan, Beason, Keuchly--all ring of honor candidates.  So I think positional value at MLB is important to any defense.  Carter is playing below average, and well below the standard in Carolina.

If you need statistics, Carter has 41 tackles this year. 4.1 tackles for a MLB is not solid.  After 10 games, Morgan, Beason, Luke were usually in the 80 range. Donte Jackson, FWIW and to compare, has 33 tackles--nearly as many as our MLB.

Carter's PFF rating (take it for what its worth, but you can use stats to defend him if you'd like) is 48.4.

So I disagree.  MLB needs to be addressed this offseason.  4 tackles per game is below average We need our MLB making 6-10 tackles per game.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3

Gilmore is a beast. If he doesn't want a ridiculous and toxic contract, he should get resigned over Jackson. We have Bouye next year, Taylor is looking promising, Henderson looks to be getting his reps now and Horn should be healthy next year. Jackson is the odd man out in all of this, the young guys have so much more upside than him in coverage no matter good he is playing this year. I just don't see Jackson wanting what he is worth which is really good #2 money which is still a big chunk of cap. Just a guess but I think Jackson and his agent are ramping up for a huge payday and I hope that won't be us. Riccick, Gilmore, Burns and then Moore all are above resigning Jackson at this point. Still plenty of games left but other than injury that list stands in my mind. 

As for the comp picks, I hate to be the one to say it but with our lack of picks and desperate need on the Oline I would not be expecting any comp picks from this offseason due to the more players signed then lost with value calculation. 

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Of course, much like a pass rush and stuffing the run game helps DBs.  But this defense gets gashed on occasion, and this franchise has valued MLB-  Mills, Morgan, Beason, Keuchly--all ring of honor candidates.  So I think positional value at MLB is important to any defense.  Carter is playing below average, and well below the standard in Carolina.

If you need statistics, Carter has 41 tackles this year. 4.1 tackles for a MLB is not solid.  After 10 games, Morgan, Beason, Luke were usually in the 80 range. Donte Jackson, FWIW and to compare, has 33 tackles--nearly as many as our MLB.

Carter's PFF rating (take it for what its worth, but you can use stats to defend him if you'd like) is 48.4.

So I disagree.  MLB needs to be addressed this offseason.  4 tackles per game is below average We need our MLB making 6-10 tackles per game.

Not to mention that they need a starter quality DT on top of all the things you listed. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

In a perfect world, Gilmore and Horn man the outsides.  Play matchups in the slot with Taylor/Bouye/Henderson and have Jackson floating around playing the ball.  Sprinkle in Chinn bringing the thump and Shaq’s improved coverage we could be looking at a serious No Fly Zone.

Gamecock bookends.  I likey.

29 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Not to mention that they need a starter quality DT on top of all the things you listed. 

They really do---so having 7 stud CBs should not be the way to go...I do not see Nixon, Roy, or Hoskins in that second DT role yet.  We may try to re-sign Jones?

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We could try to upgrade mlb but we should not be spending first round picks unless we draft in the 20s. Linebackers have short shelf life. Shaq is gonna last a bit longer because he didn’t play much his first 3 years. Rather use that position in the 2nd or 3rd. 

• Pie 1

I’d also prefer Gilmore to DJax if he is at all cheaper. MHS mentioned him playing FS which would be great, also with Horn, Henderson, and Taylor being so young (Bouye is a solid vet too) I’d like to have a vet like Gilmore to mix in there and use his expertise and knowledge from NE to help coach up our young guys. In a perfect world the Gilmore contract would be cheaper and for less years (2-3) because of his age. DJax might be a 5 year big money deal elsewhere. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

I can’t envision us giving DJax big money. He’s definitely earned it and I hope he gets a big pay day somewhere. There is just too much depth to warrant spending it on him. 

Someone else will gladly pay up and he deserves it. I just hope it’s not his home state Saints with their infinite cap…. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Is it Carter or the talent around him that has his numbers low??

The CB and Secondary in general are better Tacklers.. Plus the Dline and Shaq going crazy... 

I think Carter has been avg. To a little above player this year.. He puts players in the right spot and while not being flashy he makes plays.. He is a better version of Lester Towns and if the money on defense is at Dline and CB I can deal with a Carter at Mlb..

• Beer 1