• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quick note, re: coaching

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

To those wondering, my absence is related to some personal challenges.

Without going into too much detail, Lady Cowboy Fan is facing three upcoming surgeries. That's not the only thing going on mind you, but it's the biggest.

Between that and the other things, I haven't been up to talking football quite as much, but I'm still watching.

May be back to talk some more in coming weeks, but obviously my top priority right now is helping her.

God bless y'all. Good to hear from you. We'll be here when you get back.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule has said he doesn't believe in firing assistants, but I think that's selective. Brady isn't one of the guys who's followed Rhule from job to job, so he's a lot more likely to be "fireable" than say, Phil Snow.

Rhule has never been on the hot seat as a head coach either. That 🔥 can change things.

• Pie 5

I don't really know anything about Hackett but it seems like LaFleur has his hand print on everything there, including playcalling duties. What is it about Hackett that makes him an attractive candidate? Honestly just curious. I'm not sure who I'd want really. At this point, maybe someone with a track record of success as a head coach in the NFL. Mike Tomlin if Pittsburgh moves on, maybe Jim Harbaugh or perhaps there'll be a surprise firing like Pete Carroll. I'm tired of being stuck with someone trying to learn on the job and clearly in over their head to start.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule has never been on the hot seat as a head coach either. That 🔥 can change things.

Valid.

I was thinking more about Mike Phair though. Rhule dumped him after the 2020 season and replaced in with one of his Baylor guys (Frank Okam).

I feel like if you have a history with Rhule, your job might be a lot safer than if you didn't.

I'd add that this is probably part of the problem. There are more than a few guys on his staff for whom we could likely find good replacements with NFL experience.

But unless he's forced to do so, I have a hard time imagining he'd do it of his own free will.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Valid.

I was thinking more about Mike Phair though. Rhule dumped him after the 2020 season and replaced in with one of his Baylor guys (Frank Okam).

I feel like if you have a history with Rhule, your job might be a lot safer than if you didn't.

I'd add that this is probably part of the problem. There are more than a few guys on his staff for whom we could likely find good replacements with NFL experience.

But unless he's forced to do so, I have a hard time imagining he'd do it of his own free will.

One of my concerns about Rhule (beyond his abysmal record against ranked college teams) was his nearly complete lack of NFL experience and thus likely serious lack of NFL contacts. It's not like Temple and Baylor had NFL coaches flocking to scout talent. When he assembled a staff reflecting that, it was like uh oh.

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm far from certain that Matt Rhule will be let go (in my opinion, he should be). But if he is, here's something worth keeping in mind...

Two higher-up members of the Panthers front office have ties to Bills OC Brian Daboll.

Pat Stewart was with the Patriots when Daboll was the right ends coach from 2013 to 2016.

And of course, Dan Morgan was previously with the Bills. He and Daboll arrived in Buffalo the same offseason (2018).

Personally, I'd prefer Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett, but it's hard not to think those connections wouldn't at least potentially give Daboll an inside track on the job if (if) any changes are made.

Just something to think about...

I'm out.

I know we don't always agree but nice to see you back.

If we are looking for a HC I could definitely see some of the names you stated being considered, but what if we keep Rhule and he is pressured to overhaul the offensive side of the ball?

As we know NFL coaches usually don't make lateral moves so if we are looking for a new OC we realistically won't be looking at current OCs, more likely we will be looking at former OCs or up and coming position coaches.

Who are some position coaches that you could see having connections with us?

Ken Dorsey?

Or some position coaches that are highly regarded in the league?

Such as Mike Kafka, Chiefs passing game coordinator