• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk coaches

PanthersATL

The reality is that none of the candidates really stand out to me, outside of maybe Eberflus.

Beniemy- Product of the Reid system. We have seen several not working out. 

Kellen Moore- Has upside but still really young.

Byron Leftwich- Like Moore, fairly young but has upside but how much of his success is thanks to Tom Brady? 

Nathaniel Hackett- I know many are high on him but let's keep in mind that he was fired two years ago as the OC of the Jags and again, how much of his success is because of Rodgers? 

Matt Eberflus- By far my favorite from the bunch. I know he is a defensive guy but if could somehow convince Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy (if fired) to join him, I think it would be a good move.

Brian Daboll- Has spent time with the Pats and with the Crimson Tide and now currently responsible for one of the most underrated QBs in the league right now and is putting together a good offense. Could possibly be a good choice.

Some other notable names:

Dave Toub, ST Coord, Chiefs 

Raheem Morris, DC, Rams

Vance Joseph, DC, Cardinals

Don "Wink" Martindale, DC, Ravens

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

The reality is that none of the candidates really stand out to me, outside of maybe Eberflus.

Byron Leftwich- Like Moore, fairly young but has upside but how much of his success is thanks to Tom Brady? 

Nathaniel Hackett- I know many are high on him but let's keep in mind that he was fired two years ago as the OC of the Jags and again, how much of his success is because of Rodgers? 

Matt Eberflus- By far my favorite from the bunch. I know he is a defensive guy but if could somehow convince Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy (if fired) to join him, I think it would be a good move.

Brian Daboll- Has spent time with the Pats and with the Crimson Tide and now currently responsible for one of the most underrated QBs in the league right now and is putting together a good offense. Could possibly be a good choice.

Raheem Morris, DC, Rams

Hackett was fired late in a season by a coach trying to save his ass (same as Brady) difference being Hackett was actually good at his job.

He was hired to a better job less than 60 days later.

Bill Cowher. 

Tepper just paid Rhule $60 mil. Dudes got the cash. Just do what’s necessary and make it happen. This place needs a culture changer to come in to actually gameplan and coach. Pay Cowher $20 mil/year and get it done. 

Before Gruden got canned the Raiders were trending up. 

McCarthy has done wonders for the Cowboys. 

Make a trade or plan to acquire Wilson, Rodgers, Carr or maybe Watson and show  Cowher he’ll have his QB and a defense with elite talent. Come win a super bowl and make $100 mil in the process. Then ride off into the sunset as the only coach to rival Belichick as the greatest modern day NFL HC. He won’t say no. 

6 hours ago, methodtoll said:

Raheem Morris, DC, Rams

Completely agree on Bienemy.  Reid's OC have been awful when they moved on.

Likewise with Leftwich, he smells like another Adam Gase to me.  Propped up by an all timer of a QB.

I like Hackett.  Set aside his time in Green Bay for a sec.  When looking at his time with the Jags, keep in mind that the last time the Jags went to the playoffs they did so with Hackett as the OC, they won two games in the playoffs before finally losing to the New England Brady's at New England by four points.  All with Blake *(&$@ing Bortles at QB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know of a guy with 13 years NFL experience (18 overall) whose dad also spent 27 years coaching in the league (42 overall).

That work?

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hackett and his dad have connections going all the way back to Bill Walsh. He basically grew up around the NFL.

Click on the thread by Ricky Spanish that he linked above and you'll see plenty of info.

Until you made the second post, I had started to think you were either going to make a point about being careful what you wish since not everyone with NFL experience is good or trolling. Shula being the example for both those options.

7 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Byron Leftwich HC

Dameyune Craig OC

Bob Babich DC

Luke Kuechly Assistant DC (hopeful) should have realized he knew this coaching staff was garbage when he resigned as a pro scout for the Panthers

Chris Weinke Assistant OC (hopeful)

GM... Greg Olsen

That's what I'd want to see.

Luke said in an interview last year that he’d really like to be an OC. 

Thinks it would be fun to come up with ways to attack defenses.

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

If Smith is Fox 3.0, does that make Rhule Fox 4.0?

Rhule is not like Fox and Rivera. their faults ram along being uncreative, too conservative, and making decisions out of fear.

whatever you think of rhule, he’s shown he’s not afraid to make a move, be it with the roster or on the field.

Edited by Mother Grabber

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Until you made the second post, I had started to think you were either going to make a point about being careful what you wish since not everyone with NFL experience is good or trolling. Shula being the example for both those options.

Nah, I think Hackett's gonna be really good.

Everywhere he's been, the offense has improved greatly.

7 hours ago, Verge said:

Ideally for me? I know it won't happen but 

HC: Lovie Smith 
OC: Pep Hamilton 
DC: Mike Pettine 

You could actually get that same OC/DC combo under Nathaniel Hackett.

Pettine was the Packers DC not that long ago and Hamilton worked with Hackett's dad.

Mind you, I prefer Jim Schwartz or Gus Bradley as DC options. There are other good possibilities at OC as well.