• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

COVID Craziness

Mr. Scot

So to be clear, this is not a discussion of vaccine viewpoints, government policies, conspiracy theories or any other such thing. And if you were thinking of trying to make it into that, I ask that you not.

What it is instead is an acknowledgment that there's some pretty crazy virus related things going on around the NFL right now.

The Bears have reportedly placed all three coordinators (including the special teams coach) on their reserve COVID list. Washington is said to be up to 21 players on their list. There's also the Browns and others having to deal with really difficult circumstances.

It's nuts.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So to be clear, this is not a discussion of vaccine viewpoints, government policies, conspiracy theories or any other such thing. And if you were thinking of trying to make it into that, I ask that you not.

What it is instead is an acknowledgment that there's some pretty crazy virus related things going on around the NFL right now.

The Bears have reportedly placed all three coordinators (including the special teams coach) on their reserve COVID list. Washington is said to be up to 21 players on their list. There's also the Browns and others having to deal with really difficult circumstances.

It's nuts.

All sports just need to suspend until mid January. There are too many outbreaks and its not going to go away if they just keep transferring it every week or couple days, depending on the sport. Let people have a hard reset at home and roll from there. The leagues should really be taking the higher ground here. But they are not. 

• Beer 2
  • Poo 2

43 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It is crazy but I'm more surprised it took this long into the season for it to be this big. Then again, mask mandates have been getting dropped all over. The exhaustion of dealing with this poo-storm is also out of control.

This is all likely the Omnicron variant. Supposed to spread much much quicker but more mild symptoms.  Honestly the quicker it blows through, the quicker we get more people with immunity, especially if symptoms are milder 

Edited by gofightwin
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I bet we're seeing the result of all these Antonio Brown style vaccinations.  But I also wonder if they are getting the Omicron variant?  That one seems to be the one that can more easily bypass vaccinations.

Antonio Brown = walking garbage 

Inevitable things are just that, inevitable. A virus doesn't know from playoffs, ratings or a 53-man roster on game day. 

The thing they aren't talking about isn't what is happening on the field or locker rooms but what is probably also happening in the stands. Consider how locked down the football players have been and how tied they are to their communities, chances are that team's COVID situation probably reflects their community to a certain degree. If Washington has 21 players out for positive tests or contacts with no vaccinations, they are bringing what, 60,000 fans in to a situation where maybe 5,000 to 10,000 people who are asymptomatic or experiencing light cases. The infection vectors there are just astounding.

And let's not even think of the Omicron impact, because that hasn't been driving the recent surge around the country, that's good old Delta still at work. 

In the next two days there's either going to be some changes to how the games are played, when the games are played and perhaps if the games are played. Testing right up until the game days are going to possibly get worse.

At best, we might see them allow teams to activate their entire practice squads to make numbers. We might see them just chalk it up to happenstance and say "Play it like the people are injured and do your best" with all the weird results. I just don't want them to suspend some responsible rules because of money and a hubris that this ain't that bad. 

If they won't protect the fans, at least do it for the Aaron Rodgers and Antonio Browns of the league who've faked it this far and could be in danger...

Edit to add: Latest reports around the country are that Delta is responsible for about 94% of current cases of COVID, with Omicron barely registering on the list as of yet.

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's nuts.

WFT where up to 18 cases last time I heard.

I roll my eyes at the virus these days.  Omicron is more contagious but not nearly as deadly. Its in essence a very contagious cold.  

If your vaccinated thats cool. You'll still get. If you arent vaccinated you'll get it. If you had it you wont get it. At some point everyone will have it.  Destroying culture and ways of life wont change the favt that everyone will get it.  In a way Omicron is a freaking blessing. It would be awesome if everyone caught Omicron because its natures vaccine. Way less potent virus that still provides the antibodies.