• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The problem with firing Matt Rhule: Who would want to coach this team?

hepcat

I had a thought cross my mind this afternoon after checking the score of yet another miserable Panthers loss (caught only a few plays today). 

If/When Tepper fires Matt Rhule, what makes this team an attractive head coaching destination?

The offense is a mess. There is no franchise QB in place. The offensive line is a disaster. There’s an injury prone RB who might play 4 games a season making a boatload of cash. 

The defense has a few talented pieces on the D-Line, but they are light on the edges. There’s almost no talent at LB. The secondary is overrated. 

And above all, the owner doesn’t have a clue how to put together a winner. 

It’s been noted that both Matthew Stafford and Deshaun Watson refused to be traded to the Panthers. Maybe it’s just because the offensive line is so bad. But maybe they knew how dysfunctional the entire organization is? 

Does this feeling extend to head coaching candidates? 

I am worried if the Panthers fire Matt Rhule they might struggle to attract a good head coaching candidate. Hell, Jacksonville is a much more attractive destination with Trevor Lawrence in place. The Panthers are a flaming pile of garbage that needs an exorcism. I don’t know what coach would want to inherit this mess. 

I guess Tepper will have to offer the next coach a 10 year $200m contract to get anyone worth a damn. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

New coaches pretty much always take jobs with bad teams.

They do so on the belief that they can fix it 

They might be able to hire a defensive oriented head coach like Matt Eberflus, knowing he has some decent defensive players to build around. 

But if you’re an offensive head coach like Doug Pederson, why would you pick a team like the Panthers when a team like Jacksonville has a franchise QB in place.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

New coaches pretty much always take jobs with bad teams.

They do so on the belief that they can fix it 

This type of poo literally never makes any sense. 

You didn't even mention how obvious the millions are in the equation either. Like I'd actually for real as in IRL for sho dawg no cap would give my left nut to fail as bad as Rhule has with this team for that contract and disappear forever like lul jokes on yall I'm rich forever bitch and now I live in Japan where no one even comes close to giving a poo about NFL football.

Edited by Fox007

Just now, hepcat said:

They might be able to hire a defensive oriented head coach like Matt Eberflus, knowing he has some decent defensive players to build around. 

But if you’re an offensive head coach like Doug Pederson, why would you pick a team like the Panthers when a team like Jacksonville has a franchise QB in place.

Pederson might have more than one offer. He's got an established record and a ring to his name.

Younger guys are still looking for their first job so they can make a name for themselves.

You're not likely to see a guy turn down offers too often.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pederson might have more than one offer. He's got an established record and a ring to his name.

Younger guys are still looking for their first job so they can make a name for themselves.

You're not likely to see a guy turn down offers too often.

The problem is I believe the team needs someone established like Pederson. They tried the unproven up and comer in Matt Rhule and Joe Brady and the results have been terrible. I think the good candidates this off-season are going to get a lot of attention.

Aside from Jacksonville, the Raiders are also in the head coach market. They are another attractive destination. There might be a few more  teams with a job opening like Minnesota and Chicago which are both more desirable than coaching the Panthers.

I would argue the Panthers would be the worst situation of all teams potentially looking for a head coach this off-season.