• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doug Pederson on how to build a "quarterback room"

Mr. Scot

When I was with the Eagles, Howie Roseman and I took that philosophy and said, “We’re going to take a look every year. If we can draft a quarterback we like, we will. He could be a fifth-, sixth-, seventh-round guy, but you never know when you will hit on those quarterbacks.”

Fitterer said much the same thing when he was hired. 

The problem is you've got Matt Rhule evaluating which quarterbacks Scott should pick...

• Pie 2

Good read and Pederson will most likely be a hot candidate for a HC job.

Never did quite understand how things soured so quickly in Philly after the two Super Bowls. I know they lost the second attempt, but really? Every team suffers some poaching and player loss after a Super Bowl, and doubly so after a second. Amazing he really didn't get much rebuild time there.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you're not following The 33rd Team, you should. They put out a lot of good content.

Doug Pederson on How to Build a Super Bowl Winning Quarterback Room

To be clear, this isn't meant to stump for Pederson in any way. It's just a really interesting and informative article.

This the same Doug that got fired two years after? The same Doug that blew a 17-0 lead to the lowly Panthers? The same Doug that wouldn’t have won a super bowl if it wasn’t for the bears hilariously bad FG kicking woes? Come on man. 

• Poo 1

Great read.  Thanks for posting.

I want the Panthers to go OL OL OL in the upcoming draft to address our needs.  But I do wonder if Pitt QB Kenny Pickett falls to us, should he be the choice ?   I've seen several drafts mock that he should be available right around where the Panthers pick.  

But choosing Pickett would go against Pederson's advice "put [the rookie QB] in a position to be successful right when he steps on the field. You don’t want your guy to fail early."  With a swiss cheese OL, success would not be likely for Pickett.  

So I'm really torn between going after a QB who I think could be a solid NFL starter or building up the OL and waiting on the QB position until the next season.   

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Good read and Pederson will most likely be a hot candidate for a HC job.

Never did quite understand how things soured so quickly in Philly after the two Super Bowls. I know they lost the second attempt, but really? Every team suffers some poaching and player loss after a Super Bowl, and doubly so after a second. Amazing he really didn't get much rebuild time there.

He had a falling out with the owner.

• Pie 2

I guess the biggest risk for drafting Pickett is that every other NFL team would know that's a very likely choice for the Panthers.  And it's especially true given Rhule's recruiting of him in college (assuming Rhule is still here).  Which means some QB needy team would pay a king's ransom to jump ahead of us to one of the two pick teams (Jets, Giants).

Which, I guess, I'd be OK with.  Because it would make it more likely that some stud LT would fall to us.  There are three awesome LT who are all discussed at the very top of the draft.  And if we got one of them, that would be fine by me.  

27 minutes ago, Actionman0z said:

This the same Doug that got fired two years after? The same Doug that blew a 17-0 lead to the lowly Panthers? The same Doug that wouldn’t have won a super bowl if it wasn’t for the bears hilariously bad FG kicking woes? Come on man. 

Lowly Panthers? That was like the 4th game of the season in a year the Panthers started 6-2 and looked like a Super Bowl favorite until the debale in Pittsburgh after the bye

also the Bears playoff game was the year after they won the Super Bowl