• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who to draft....

musicman

We will probably fall between 5th & 7th in the draft.  Bears lose 2 and Giants lose 1 and we probably get the 5th IF we lose out.

If LT Evan Neal from Alabama (6-7, 350 pounds) is there, it's a NO brainer, take him. If he doesn't fall to us (which he should), we should drop a few slots (to about 10th or 11th), pick up a 2nd round pick and either take:

Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa (6-3, 290 pounds)

Or even drop a little lower (around 12th-13th) and grab Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State (6-5, 310 pounds) but not if they think we'll miss the chance.

LT or C is huge. C Ryan Kalil was the general for so many years. 

The QBs are not strong enough to use your only pick in the top 100. Build the OL through the draft and FA and hopefully get a decent one in FA to bide your time. But just like we built the defense, build the offense. I've talked to players on defense and they are proud of the defense they have. If I get what Rhule is trying to build (which is real hard to see these days) an incredible defense and a running offense for cold weather playoff football. Not based on superstars but a collective team of good solid players. Unless you have an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, you need a solid team to be and stay competitive. 

I think we believe they should have addressed every position and there's no way to do that. We whiffed on O-line and QB but did pretty good in other areas, but it's all a crap shoot. It takes time and fans are impatient. 2020 doesn't count as a real 1st year because of Covid and all the restrictions with a new NC, OC & DC, and a ton of new players. 2021 is like 1.5 years to me. I believe we'll see a better team next year. Maybe not winning the Super Bowl, but more competitive, or at least I hope.

I don't see them signing DJax and getting the 3rd or 4th round comp pick from him. I hope they keep Luvu, Reddick and Gilmore, even Haynes.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

I think the Alabama OT is destined for RT.

If we are at 5, trade down into the 8-10 range and get the Olineman from NC State or Miss St.  Both should be able to handle the LT spot for 10 years.

Not sure what we can get for moving down at this point, but we gave away too many guys to secure 12 CB's in this past season

• Pie 2

51 minutes ago, stirs said:

I think the Alabama OT is destined for RT.

If we are at 5, trade down into the 8-10 range and get the Olineman from NC State or Miss St.  Both should be able to handle the LT spot for 10 years.

Not sure what we can get for moving down at this point, but we gave away too many guys to secure 12 CB's in this past season

why would someone move up from 8 to 6 in this draft and what are you picking up?

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why would someone move up from 8 to 6 in this draft and what are you picking up?

They do that only for a qb.  But folks talk about moving to a certain slot like all they have to do is ask and the other team must swap. I think it's cute.

Everyone tries to predict how a draft falls and the picks rank and yada yada but like Mel Kipper they don't know sh#t. The only thing you can predict is the fans are gonna bitch about every pick.

• Beer 3

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

They are (I think) going to play BC at LT this week.  If he can show signs of handling the job, we can find the other OL in free agency.  That would mean a QB could be in the cards.  Personally, I think there are 3-4 who could play in the NFL.

If BC can play LT then that allows us to get either the Iowa center or the kid from NCSU and just like that the line is upgraded

QB comes next year.  I dont want this lame duck coaching staff anywhere near our next qb.  Next years class looks loaded and this one is kindof meh

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If BC can play LT then that allows us to get either the Iowa center or the kid from NCSU and just like that the line is upgraded

QB comes next year.  I dont want this lame duck coaching staff anywhere near our next qb

Not my choice, but they will think they have the OL addressed (by then) in free agency---if so---Fittermagic--he is going QB.  

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

They are (I think) going to play BC at LT this week.  If he can show signs of handling the job, we can find the other OL in free agency.  That would mean a QB could be in the cards.  Personally, I think there are 3-4 who could play in the NFL.

There were 3 to 4 last draft but early returns are sketchy at best.  You can't predict how these guys are going to handle the NFL.  But you have to take a shot when you desperately need one like we do.  Hell we need at least 2 right now and will need to keep adding them until you find one that sticks.

Were it me I would take the best available QB or LT ( BC may be but hedge your bet), we need both.  If not try to move down for more picks and go oline and LB early and often,  need both as well.

Next draft would be the same, go offensive line and QB, LB and whatever after that. Hell I would start looking for the best kicker as well. This team has no shortage of needs.

• Pie 3