• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule explains why they wanted Sam Darnold

mc52beast

25 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Not sure how old the video is but it’s shocking to hear Rhule explain why he wanted Sam…

So, ole Matt sees things that no one else saw …. Lol…ok

i guess he failed to see the slow progression reads and all those turnovers in both college and the pros 

not to bring up a perhaps not  so good analogy, it reminds me of all those people who were C students in high school biology knowing more about COVID then epidemiologists who had studied viruses for years 

Darnold was so great that the jets offloaded him for a rookie and duped a neophyte HC and GM out of draft picks and salary 

yesterday, the tv announcers quoted more pablum from Rhule about Sam withstanding the ‘fire’ and how would he be molded from it 

jesus H, this is not a church sermon. It’s pro football where your chess pieces and schemes have to be better than the other guys 

its ‘ x’s and o’s’ not a church service 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

yesterday, the tv announcers quoted more pablum from Rhule about Sam withstanding the ‘fire’ and how would he be molded from it 

Specifically ruhle said "you're either cleansed by the fire or burned by it." 

That is the stupidest goddamn poo I've ever heard.

Ruhle is like some bizarro ted lasso

• Pie 3

I understand taking a risk on a player your staff thinks they can coach up.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  

But with Rhule & Darnold, I see a coach who's really out of his element in player evaluation.  It was Rhule's overconfidence (bordering on hubris) that convinced him Darnold would be a good player in Carolina.  

Darnold's stats for the Panthers are almost exactly what they were for the Jets.  And after 4 years, I think he is what he is.  And that's a not-very-good QB.

Maybe behind a "great wall of China" OL and a smash-mouth rushing game, Darnold could be OK.  But most Huddle members as QB wouldn't actually look that bad with such support.   So it's a pretty low bar for QB ability.  

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Specifically ruhle said "you're either cleansed by the fire or burned by it." 

That is the stupidest goddamn poo I've ever heard.

Ruhle is like some bizarro ted lasso

Yep.  Being a former Baptist as a kid, it’s a religious reference back to perseverance for ole Sam because, you know, that matters more than his apparently not fixable flaws 

rhule just can’t seem to wrap his head around that at this level players are already what they basically are.  

There is no such thing as molding a player at the nfl level. Techniques can be improved but behavior under the big lights, is what it is 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Plz for the love of God, fire this moron. 

I'm quickly coming to that opinion as well.

Rhule is just spouting such ridiculous sh*t in the pressers.  The comments are so stupid they make the Panthers look really bad.   But the key for me is "does Rhule actually believe this stuff himself?"  Or is it just some type of recruiting smoke screen bs that is his default setting from his college days.   

If Rhule actually believes the drivel that's coming out of his mouth, he's a complete idiot and needs to be gone as soon as possible. 

• Pie 1

Rhule claims that the hit rate on 1st round QBs is not good. 

How about the hit rate on 1st rounders becoming something they never were before, on another team, in the rookie cap era? How did the compare analytically? 

Edited by Toomers
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Rhule claims that the hit rate on 1st round QBs is not good. 

Somebody please tell analytics wonder Matt Rhule about QB taken after the 1st round.  Other than 2 or 3 guys who fell for stupid reasons (Russel Wilson was "too short", Derrick Carr's brother was a bust), basically there are no starters.  

And it's even worse than that.  Starting QB usually come from the top 15 picks.   And often they are from the top 2 or 3 selections.   

So yeah, maybe there are lots of busts as first round QB.  But the alternative of picking one later has an  abysmal success rate.  

The more Rhule opens his mouth, the more he seems like a stupid frat boy type.