• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading Back -- What It Might Look Like

SetfreexX

12 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Both of them went to playoff caliber rosters with good coaches as well. 

LAC - Keenan Allen / Mike Williams / Eckler -- Bosa / Hayward / that corner from DEN who's name I can't think of, and James back healthy. 

NE - Got Trent Brown back, and ALREADY had one of the better OL's in the league, and solidified the defense in FA with guys like Judon, and added two of the best receiving TE's in the NFL (Henry / Smith)

Where you end up is important, neither one of them is likely to life a JAX (see Lawrence) or a DET caliber organization. 

People weren't enamored by the Baker / Darnold / Rosen class and look how they all turned out...all in new spots, with Baker potentially moved on from as well, and look at all he had to work with -- a top, literal top OL, receivers out the wazoo, and Austin Hooper at TE with one of the BEST backs in the league in Chubb, and overall it's been meh. However, you have to give some credit for a playoff appearance, because that defense was legit. 

We may be a bad destination but we were better situated with cap space and draft resources before we began this "rebuild" that quickly turned into win now for some reason. We've had our opportunities to do this the right way. We are deep in desperation mode now and two divisional foes will also be looking for their quarterbacks of the future while we once again wallow at the bottom of the division so time is certainly not on our side. I share your skepticism on the possibilities of our first pick but either way we are rolling the dice 🤷‍♂️

39 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yep and this year was suppose to be Howell and Rattler at 1 and 2. Banking on next year is risky, plus we have no idea where we will be picking…

That's why you trade back to accumulate ammunition for this year and next. Options to improve the roster today, and tomorrow. 

36 minutes ago, frankw said:

We should have been picking Burrow at first overall but we had to have our culture building win streak with Kyle Allen. We could have made a move for Herbert too. We again convinced ourselves this year wasn't it and we are doing the same now. We never should have brought in Teddy or Sam if we were truly rebuilding like Rhule and Tepper first sold us when he was hired. But for me it's a tough sell to again convince myself to kick the can down the road. That's just how frustrating it is to be a Panthers fan rn.

Roster isn't ready for a rookie atm, best to solidify the roster as a whole. Trade back, and acquire ammo for this draft and the next. 

If we take a player at #6, and we sit until the 4th we're missing prime opportunity to improve the roster, we have cap but -- DJ / Reddick / Gilmore or Jackson will consume some of that. 

We're not a QB at 6 away...we have to address the OL first, I'm okay with Cam, as a bridge to 23' -- I can't sit through Darnold for 17. 

And like I said before, I wouldn't hate a QB via trade down if we add ammo to solidify the OL. 

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Roster isn't ready for a rookie atm, best to solidify the roster as a whole. Trade back, and acquire ammo for this draft and the next. 

If we take a player at #6, and we sit until the 4th we're missing prime opportunity to improve the roster, we have cap but -- DJ / Reddick / Gilmore or Jackson will consume some of that. 

We're not a QB at 6 away...we have to address the OL first, I'm okay with Cam, as a bridge to 23' -- I can't sit through Darnold for 17. 

And like I said before, I wouldn't hate a QB via trade down if we add ammo to solidify the OL. 

If you are steadfast against drafting a quarterback then why on earth is keeping Newton around a good idea? Cam doesn't have the arm to be a season long starter anymore and he has endured enough abuse by this franchise. There's no reason to pay him on top of the 19 million we are stuck paying Sam. I concur entirely about not wanting to see another season of Darnold but if we aren't drafting a quarterback then just let Sam do what he does as difficult as that will be to watch.

Edited by frankw

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

We need interior positions (OL/DL/LB/Slot).. luckily those can be found in late 1s and mid rounds. Fitterer showed the knack for being able to move back multiple times in a single draft without losing point value, I see the same thing happening again. 

and how'd this draft work out?

24 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If rhule is the coach and darnold is the qb then I have a pretty good idea of where we will be drafting.   

But if you beef of the OL and try to get a team “ready” for a rookie QB, you would think we would win some games. He is averaging 5 wins a year with a terrible OL. 

2 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

When Miami moved down from 3rd to 12th the deal was.

Miami Receives: 

2021 12th overall pick

2021 3rd round pick

2022 1st round pick

2023 1st round pick

San Francisco Receives:

2021 3rd overall pick

We could get a nice ransom if things fall right.

The only problem with this is that there's no franchise QB worth this amount in this draft. SF really thought Lance was worth it. Which team this year would give up that value for a LT, CB, safety etc? 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

If you are steadfast against drafting a quarterback then why on earth is keeping Newton around a good idea? Cam doesn't have the arm to be a season long starter anymore and he has endured enough abuse by this franchise. There's no reason to pay him on top of the 19 million we are stuck paying Sam. I concur entirely about not wanting to see another season of Darnold but if we aren't drafting a quarterback then just let Sam do what he does as difficult as that will be to watch.

For my sanity no....I'd rather see Cam get the Big Ben fair well, and Ben is even worse off, Cam's arm seems fine, people make too much of it for a guy that is 32 atm. Find a place that will take Sam as a salary dump the way Osweiler was unloaded who was as bad or worse. 

Give fans a reason to watch / and give the team aka the other 52 hope each and every game for a win with a real Quarterback. Cam, and an upgraded, and I mean legitimately upgraded OL and I think we can get in as a 6th / 7th seed. 

People forget he helped a Covid-Opt-Out depleted NE roster get to 7-8; I am fine with 1-2 years of Cam if needed. No other vet, or young failed project is worth that spot. We need to draft a rookie, and the QB depth looks to be stronger overall in 23' and our roster has too many holes to take a young QB as a luxury.

Maybe free agency changes my mind, but I'd still like more picks to fill out the OL with talent at a much moe affordable price.  

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Wanderlai said:

Those type of big hauls come if someone wants to secure a QB. No real big time QBs but things may change come combine time. 

OP showed Miami trading up with no intention to get a QB. They already had Tua and wanted Waddle. There should be a deal available that keeps us in the top 15 and recoups some value. We just need to take it.

• Beer 1

It is really unfortunate we didn't get to see more of BC and Deonte Brown, we dunno what we already have. If we take best LT available i'm not convinced BC is a guard, if we move back and can grab like an Ikem around 10-15, guard in rnd 2 then you have some flexibility and may have everything figured out and just pray Elf looks better with competent guards around him. I like linderbaum but I think he'd struggle playing as a rookie in between Jordan/Miller

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Trade pick 6

Get pick 15, 3rd, 6th, 2023 1st

Trade 15

Get 20, 2nd, 4th

Something along this scenario would be great to recoup and add a couple more for 2022. Then we roll into 2023 with 2 1st giving us ammo to go after one of those 2023 QB's

Linderbaum being a center us probably there at 20

I'm not sure he makes it to 20...

24 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

I'm not sure he makes it to 20...

Maybe not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was there. I feel talent wise he is top 10 in THIS weak draft, but he plays a position that doesn't see guys picked that high. Creed Humphrey was initially talked about as a guy that be picked as high as 20th last year in a loaded draft, dude was highly rated. Creed was picked at the end of round 2, and has been one of the best centers in football this year. 

I think I draft Neal if given the chance. If he is gone, I like the double trade back scenario. Take Linderbaum if he's there. If not, take the best available player