• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top O linemen free agents from the Athletic that can help end our nightmare….

WarPanthers89

4 minutes ago, davos said:

This is what I've landed on as much as we all want him to succeed.

If he can backup LG & LT for us, sometimes fill in, then he's actually a huge asset.  It allows us to just land Ekwonu/Neal/etc., fill like one dude in there like Bozeman/Ted Karras. 

Just target like 2 guys minimum at LT & IOL who will elevate/make life easier for whoever fills those gaps between them.  We have Deonte and Brady who could be capable if need be (Along with Elf and Erving who won't be awful if you have the talent next to them--see: Erving in Dallas, although yes, Elf sucks)

LT: Ekwonu/Neal/Cross

LG: TBD/Brady C/Elf

Center: Bozeman/Karras/Jones

RG: TBD/Deonte

RT: Moton

Erving is back to his lifelong swing-lineman depth role which is honestly fine.

That right there puts us in such a better spot off the bat.  Maybe take some more stabs in the 4th or (2) 5ths at guard (which is where many come from) or another low-end FA or two.  The big investment is basically using Pick 6 & just one decent FA signing to shore this thing up.  

Then it makes life so much easier for the new coach and QB come 2023.  Whoever the feck that will be.

Im high on hopeium, so excuse this. If ififiififififi the panthers get lucky with a couple draft picks/FA and then theres Mike Horton or Austen Pleasants miracle.... there is some small chance at fielding a decent mid-ranked unit.

New OL coach cappy maybe a warlock and still has some of the green bay dust. 

Honestly its can not get worse, young players are older, new players are another year adjusted to queen/rhule, new coach, and a couple draft darts and some Cap space that already been spoken for at OL. 16-20 ranked can happen with some luck....

Just now, Basbear said:

Im high on hopeium, so excuse this. If ififiififififi the panthers get lucky with a couple draft picks/FA and then theres Mike Horton or Austen Pleasants miracle.... there is some small chance at fielding a decent mid-ranked unit.

Honestly its can not get worse, young players are older, new players are another year adjusted to queen/rhule, new coach, and a couple draft darts and some Cap space that already been spoken for at OL. 16-20 ranked can happen with some luck....

In today's league, center is as much if not more critical than LT at times.  Getting those two spots will do wonders.  Not the best way to put this but grab an LT at #6, and find a legit sub-28 y/o Interior Lineman w/Moton, you have two spots where a 75-80 ranked on the vide game things would be sufficient.  That could very well be what Deonte & Brady C are.  Put the right compliments beside them and they could be a-ok.

I see LT & C as the must fills.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

This is just pure speculation.   

But I was wondering if Campen might see Christensen as a C.  Campen was a long-time C in the NFL so what better guy to teach him.  And short arms wouldn't matter at that position.  Centers are generally the OL coach on the field so I could see Christensen evolving into that role.  

For sure its on the table, I heard that during the season were big brain Rhule wanted Christ to get snaps across the OL. Injuries hit and Christ took C snaps cause ELF, Paradis and Teck were injuried nearly at the same time. 

You need 7 OL man. Starting 5, swing OT, and Backup C/interior. Chirst can be one of the 7, im 99% sure.

27 minutes ago, Martin said:

Didn’t Connor Williams have the most false starts in the league? If so it’s a hard pass on him. He’s always felt like the week link when I’ve watched the cowboys.

That can be cleaned up and he's a solid player on a line with a few hall of famers. Instant upgrade here and maybe won't demand much as an injury prone Brandon scherff or older lineman. But who knows.

1 minute ago, davos said:

In today's league, center is as much if not more critical than LT at times.  Getting those two spots will do wonders.  Not the best way to put this but grab an LT at #6, and find a legit sub-28 y/o Interior Lineman w/Moton, you have two spots where a 75-80 ranked on the vide game things would be sufficient.  That could very well be what Deonte & Brady C are.  Put the right compliments beside them and they could be a-ok.

I see LT & C as the must fills.

C is the most important OLmen. Its been that way for 20 some years. Just for some odd reason the draft and free agency $$$$ has lagged behind that thinking. C makes calls, leader of the group, has to put in the most work, hes not able to fire off like the other 4. I got no clue why they are not drafted higher or paid among the LTs, its a trick that teams plays- "we cannt pay everyone"

TE is the same, vastly under paid and under drafted. Run and pass chess piece, control the middle of the field like center. 

Im no Elf fan at all, but you can not fix every spot, he played well enough to push the C need down the line for me. He was at least better than 2021/2019 Paradis. Again bump any Elf thread during his signing, I trashed the hell out of him( i never do), but here I am giving some support as a C(if you do, I said hed make a better C)

I just hope for LT and one of the OGs is filled with average play.....figure out the other OG via luck(brown, morton, FA vet min, trade, etc). Moton is best OL and Elf holds down the C.....little dream heavy for me, but its a realist hope. 

13 hours ago, Basbear said:

C is the most important OLmen. Its been that way for 20 some years. Just for some odd reason the draft and free agency $$$$ has lagged behind that thinking. C makes calls, leader of the group, has to put in the most work, hes not able to fire off like the other 4. I got no clue why they are not drafted higher or paid among the LTs, its a trick that teams plays- "we cannt pay everyone"

TE is the same, vastly under paid and under drafted. Run and pass chess piece, control the middle of the field like center. 

Im no Elf fan at all, but you can not fix every spot, he played well enough to push the C need down the line for me. He was at least better than 2021/2019 Paradis. Again bump any Elf thread during his signing, I trashed the hell out of him( i never do), but here I am giving some support as a C(if you do, I said hed make a better C)

I just hope for LT and one of the OGs is filled with average play.....figure out the other OG via luck(brown, morton, FA vet min, trade, etc). Moton is best OL and Elf holds down the C.....little dream heavy for me, but its a realist hope. 

I agree with everything that you said other than Elf showing enough at center. He was horrible, and I cringe thinking about him being depended on as our starter next season 

13 hours ago, Martin said:

Didn’t Connor Williams have the most false starts in the league? If so it’s a hard pass on him. He’s always felt like the week link when I’ve watched the cowboys.

PFF graded him at 76.1 for the season. That would be second only to Moton (76.6) on our team. I knows PFF isn’t the whole picture, but he’s young enough and improving so I’d be comfortable securing his services for a multi-year contract and considering that guard spot secure. 

14 hours ago, Basbear said:

Really good QBs make offensive lines look better.  Until I see him cast a spell to give Darnold the 9.7 seconds of clean pocket he’ll inevitably need before throwing an interception, I’m withholding optimism.

14 hours ago, rayzor said:

Fix your OL with vets. Get older proven GOOD guys then draft their replacements.

Forget trying to get a QB this year unless it's some decent placeholder for a year or two. Not one long term option available worth a poo.

I feel bad for what you (and us) are about to experience…

GIF by MOODMAN

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I've maintained that they should have started BC at left guard from day one, then when injuries inevitably happened to Irvin kicked him out to left tackle. Then by mid season Big 77 should've been getting snaps at RG. Let us see what we have instead of moving BC all around the line making his learning curve from fugging BYU to the NFL even steeper. 

I agree with others than Brady can be a good LT and having someone solid there won't be in issue as long as the rest of the  overall talent level of the line is raised as well. An actual good free agent line Bozeman or Connor Williams or any of the guys who've been named would do the trick. And if we're not trading for the sex pest franchise QB, trade down. It'd be a dream to trade with Philly for their two later first rounders, I think they're 16 or 17. Prime spot to draft Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson, then trade down again with the other draft pick or take Devin Lloyd/Nakobe Dean if one is available to replace Shaq Thompson. Pipe dream.