• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s say we take Pickett at 6

davos

It seems it could very well happen come April. So in the event he’s our new franchise QB, I’ve got two questions:

How would you build the OL and how would you get back into the 2nd or 3rd round? 

We have:

Pick 106 (Early Round 4)

Pick 143 (Early Round 5)

Pick 148 (Early Round 5)

Pick 198 (Late Round 6)

Pick 245 (Late 7th)

Would also be interested to see who you think would be trade candidates player wise to get more picks. 

Recommend this thread for FA OLs:

So yeah, I’m just interested to see what people think since I know ideally we’d all love to capitalize on what seems to be a VERY good OL class in the first few rounds. 

Cheers

There's almost no way to with trades and contracts signed last year.

Watching Pickett's games show that he's not going to be prepared for poor line play. His line was so great, he was barely touched. You basically have to hope Pickett has "IT" to overcome the roster around him.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

There's almost no way to with trades and contracts signed last year.

Watching Pickett's games show that he's not going to be prepared for poor line play. His line was so great, he was barely touched. You basically have to hope Pickett has "IT" to overcome the roster around him.

Which 4 out of 5 years says "no he ain't got it".. That's the sad part..

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I have a lot of faith in Coach Campen fixing the OL this season.  That means sorting out Brady Christensen and Deonte Brown and actually playing them.  That was such an obvious mistake of the team last year.

Also I'm sure there will be at least one IL added in free agency.  Maybe two.  Those positions are relatively cheap and it gives Campen something to work with.  And given Campen's reputation, there will be guys specifically interested in playing for him.

So I think the OL next season will be adequate.  Maybe not strong like the team could have with one of the top LT in this draft.  But an OL that is OK.  Which would be a huge improvement over last season.

• Pie 5

Normally, I'd say get Pickett and fill out the holes in Free Agency but Rhule having the final say and his history with Free Agency make this 10 times harder to believe that Pickett will have everything he needs to succeed. 

The Erving and Elflein pick ups...ugh. This video shows why it doesn't matter what they do in the draft. 

• He says he doesn't look at PFF. When according to Tepper and what poo he spewed to the media that he wanted in the next HC was a Stats guy. PFF, whether you like it or not, IS GOD DAMN STATS. 
  • Then he says something so god damn ridiculous about he doesn't want 53 starters and values players that can play multiple spots. How is that a benefit when the guy that plays all those spots, in this instance Elflein playing Both Guards spots and C, SUCKS ASS IN ALL OF THEM?!
  • Then he goes on about Christiansen and Brown saying they might turn out great, when we all know that Brady was good enough and could have helped but nooooo dude has no evaluation meter and if he does it's busted. He can't evaluate talent or his damn Ego gets in the way. 

I just don't see a scenario that Pickett succeeds with Rhule having all the control. 

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

Gotta trade back.  If you have to have a QB, fine - but don't fall in love with just one.  At least one of Pickett or Corral will probably still be around at 11 or 12.  Slide back and pick up an extra pick or two (even if not equal value based on trade chart).  We have so many needs and really need another 2nd or 3rd to play with.

Sign a FA vet guard to work next to Christensen.  Draft a G in whatever round we get for moving back a few spots.  This guy should be able to start right away at RG.  Moton - Draftee - Elf - Vet FA - Christiansen with Brown/Erving are backups.  That seems better than what we trotted out last year.  I'm also counting on our new Offensive Coordinator to make a difference as well.

Whoever we draft at QB should definitely sit at least 6-8 games before sniffing the field.

This is a great topic. If I were GM, and Rhule already decided he was picking QB at 6, I would have already come up with a plan to plug and play two critical roles on the line through FA. Being that this is make believe here is my plan:

I fill LT and center in free agency. Being that we need a MLB as well, I go with a stop gap at LT for this year and sign Duane Brown to a contract similar to the one Whitworth signed recently 2 years 17 million. I then sign G/C Bradley Bozeman from the Ravens at an average of 12-13 million per year. That will help us out tremendously compared to last year as Our line would be (Brown LT, Christensen LG, Bozeman Center, TBD RG, Moton RT). We have Erving and Elf as backup LT and C, which is what they should be, and I use the high 4th round pick for the best guard prospect I can find to compete for the RG spot along with Brown from last years class. You can also sign one cheap vet at G to compete for the RG role as this will be a much easier position to fill. 

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

This is a great topic. If I were GM, and Rhule already decided he was picking QB at 6, I would have already come up with a plan to plug and play two critical roles on the line through FA. Being that this is make believe here is my plan:

I fill LT and center in free agency. Being that we need a MLB as well, I go with a stop gap at LT for this year and sign Duane Brown to a contract similar to the one Whitworth signed recently 2 years 17 million. I then sign G/C Bradley Bozeman from the Ravens at an average of 12-13 million per year. That will help us out tremendously compared to last year as Our line would be (Brown LT, Christensen LG, Bozeman Center, TBD RG, Moton RT). We have Erving and Elf as backup LT and C, which is what they should be, and I use the high 4th round pick for the best guard prospect I can find to compete for the RG spot along with Brown from last years class. You can also sign one cheap vet at G to compete for the RG role as this will be a much easier position to fill. 

Thanks for actually responding to the question. Sound. Unsure if we can realistically get two B-rated or above FA OLs but I’d have to imagine that’s the optimal signings scenario if we go Pickett/QB at 6.

You can find starting guards in the 3-4th rounds so I could also see a slight trade up into the 3rd with our 4th and maybe one of the 5ths to assure a good guard prospect.

• Flames 1

If we take Pickett or a QB we kind of have to bank on BC at LT. Sign a solid FA Guard like Tomlinson or the guy from WFT. If we could sneak a mid level guy like Norwell that would be nice and draft a couple in the later rounds to compete with Brown. BC, FA, Elf, Brown/4th or 5th rounder/Moton with a better OL coach (as already stated) should be serviceable with some potential upside in the development of BC, Brown, rookie. It’s not great, but a huge improvement still.