• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm a passenger on the Corral train

top dawg

This time last year, I was driving the Lance locomotive. This year, I'm at least going to say that I'll jump on the Corral Caboose. 

Trey Lance had the prototypical size, great arm, intangibles, played in a pro-style offense, and eventually won a 'ship and flashed while doing it. He rightfully stood out and was highly drafted amid champions and highly talented guys at the collegiate level. This year, the QB class simply doesn't appear to be as outstanding, and there are more questions about whether the Picketts, Howells & Willises of the world are truly starting material or backups at the NFL level. So, yes, there are questions.

The main question about Matt Corral--other than the standard fare--at least as far as I'm concerned is his size and durability. There's no way to downplay that. He's not Goldilocks or Justin Herbert, but adding 10-15 pounds of muscle and tweaking his take-hits run style will hopefully help a lot  and get him to a point where the issue of durability is minimized. 

Now the good part is that Corral can make any and every throw. He's accurate, can put zip on the ball and throw passes with touch. Corral also has a cannon. It my not be a Lance cannon, but it's a cannon. He wouldn't know a noodle-arm if it dared to slap him in the face. His arm talent is legit, and Corral can use it  off-script. He may not look like Pat Mahomes or last year's boy wonder, Zach Wilson, with the almost awkward looking accurate ropes, but his athleticism is enough to get him out of trouble and make the necessary throws that you need when plays are breaking down.

Now another thing that he was getting knocked for was interceptions, but he cleaned that up in a major way this past season, and honestly it shows that he is coachable, able to develop, and serious about his craft. Sure, he was in a system, but, at least to me, his talent is such, and mentality seems as such, that he can play in any system. 

Now, there aren't any extensive recent draft profiles that I could find that reflected his 2021 season, but here are some excepts from Daniel Jeremiah's in July:

What I liked: Corral has a very intriguing skill set. He's an excellent athlete and a versatile thrower. He's capable of driving the ball into small windows, layering the ball over linebackers/under safeties and dropping the deep ball into the bucket. His overall touch is outstanding. He has tremendous quickness and awareness inside the pocket to avoid the free rusher. He is effective on designed QB runs because of his suddenness and ability to elude defenders. He is very competitive to fight for extra yards.

Where he needs to improve: Turnovers are the main problem and they came in bunches during the 2020 campaign. He threw 11 of his 14 interceptions in two games (vs. Arkansas and LSU). His primary issues were locking onto his initial read, failing to identify underneath defenders and forcing the ball into non-existent windows. I believe he can clean this up. I've seen him maneuver and manipulate safeties with his eyes in the games I studied. There's one more thing for him to work on: His eyes get ahead of his feet when scanning from one side of the field to the other on occasion. He doesn't let his feet catch up and he releases the ball with an unaligned base, which impacts his accuracy.

Biggest takeaway: I've been asked which college QB could emerge this fall, similar to the way Jets first-round pick Zach Wilson popped on the scene last year at BYU. Corral would be my answer. He doesn't quite have the same arm talent as Wilson, but he has similar instincts, creativity and playmaking ability. Wilson had ball security issues in 2019 and he cleaned them up in 2020. I'm hopeful Corral will have similar results in 2021

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-matt-corral-ole-miss-qb-a-top-contender-for-zach-wilson-like-ascent

Now, like alluded to before, Corral's 2021 season answered some of Jeremiah's and others' questions. Corral told you why he improved in the podcast.   

Whenever I see someone saying something that Corral isn't worth it, they always seem to make a general statement that doesn't really speak to anything, especially his 2021 season.  As for me, I'm liking what I'm seeing and hearing. Is it enough to pick him at 6? I don't know, especially if one of the three top tackles are sitting on the board. I do absolutely believe that it's intriguing enough to consider him at 6. If Corral does well at his interviews and performs well during the Combine, pro day and individual team workouts, don't be surprised if he becomes the number one QB on many people's boards.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Let's see who is available in the third round, maybe even the fourth.

Fix the line, pick up a QB late and give him a shot. He's not got any competition from our bench and we have nothing to lose from it. Hell, we dropped a draft pick on a long snapper we won't even be using last year!

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

This time last year, I was driving the Lance locomotive. This year, I'm at least going to say that I'll jump on the Corral Caboose. 

Trey Lance had the prototypical size, great arm, intangibles, played in a pro-style offense, and eventually won a 'ship and flashed while doing it. He rightfully stood out and was highly drafted amid champions and highly talented guys at the collegiate level. This year, the QB class simply doesn't appear to be as outstanding, and there are more questions about whether the Picketts, Howells & Willises of the world are truly starting material or backups at the NFL level. So, yes, there are questions.

The main question about Matt Corral--other than the standard fare--at least as far as I'm concerned is his size and durability. There's no way to downplay that. He's not Goldilocks or Justin Herbert, but adding 10-15 pounds of muscle and tweaking his take-hits run style will hopefully help a lot  and get him to a point where the issue of durability is minimized. 

Now the good part is that Corral can make any and every throw. He's accurate, can put zip on the ball and throw passes with touch. Corral also has a cannon. It my not be a Lance cannon, but it's a cannon. He wouldn't know a noodle-arm if it dared to slap him in the face. His arm talent is legit, and Corral can use it  off-script. He may not look like Pat Mahomes or last year's boy wonder, Zach Wilson, with the almost awkward looking accurate ropes, but his athleticism is enough to get him out of trouble and make the necessary throws that you need when plays are breaking down.

Now another thing that he was getting knocked for was interceptions, but he cleaned that up in a major way this past season, and honestly it shows that he is coachable, able to develop, and serious about his craft. Sure, he was in a system, but, at least to me, his talent is such, and mentality seems as such, that he can play in any system. 

Now, there aren't any extensive recent draft profiles that I could find that reflected his 2021 season, but here are some excepts from Daniel Jeremiah's in July:

What I liked: Corral has a very intriguing skill set. He's an excellent athlete and a versatile thrower. He's capable of driving the ball into small windows, layering the ball over linebackers/under safeties and dropping the deep ball into the bucket. His overall touch is outstanding. He has tremendous quickness and awareness inside the pocket to avoid the free rusher. He is effective on designed QB runs because of his suddenness and ability to elude defenders. He is very competitive to fight for extra yards.

Where he needs to improve: Turnovers are the main problem and they came in bunches during the 2020 campaign. He threw 11 of his 14 interceptions in two games (vs. Arkansas and LSU). His primary issues were locking onto his initial read, failing to identify underneath defenders and forcing the ball into non-existent windows. I believe he can clean this up. I've seen him maneuver and manipulate safeties with his eyes in the games I studied. There's one more thing for him to work on: His eyes get ahead of his feet when scanning from one side of the field to the other on occasion. He doesn't let his feet catch up and he releases the ball with an unaligned base, which impacts his accuracy.

Biggest takeaway: I've been asked which college QB could emerge this fall, similar to the way Jets first-round pick Zach Wilson popped on the scene last year at BYU. Corral would be my answer. He doesn't quite have the same arm talent as Wilson, but he has similar instincts, creativity and playmaking ability. Wilson had ball security issues in 2019 and he cleaned them up in 2020. I'm hopeful Corral will have similar results in 2021

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-matt-corral-ole-miss-qb-a-top-contender-for-zach-wilson-like-ascent

Now, like alluded to before, Corral's 2021 season answered some of Jeremiah's and others' questions. Corral told you why he improved in the podcast.   

Whenever I see someone saying something that Corral isn't worth it, they always seem to make a general statement that doesn't really speak to anything, especially his 2021 season.  As for me, I'm liking what I'm seeing and hearing. Is it enough to pick him at 6? I don't know, especially if one of the three top tackles are sitting on the board. I do absolutely believe that it's intriguing enough to consider him at 6. If Corral does well at his interviews and performs well during the Combine, pro day and individual team workouts, don't be surprised if he becomes the number one QB on many people's boards.

I’m with you, if we go QB at 6

24 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Let's see who is available in the third round, maybe even the fourth.

Fix the line, pick up a QB late and give him a shot. He's not got any competition from our bench and we have nothing to lose from it. Hell, we dropped a draft pick on a long snapper we won't even be using last year!

We dont have a 3rd.  And qb's in the 4rth or later rounds rarely if ever work out.  Might as well use that pick on more line help and target a qb in the top 5 picks next draft.  We cannot keep wasting our picks.

• Pie 3