• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft day scenario - Could trading Burns be an option?

SmokinwithWilly

So on draft day, pick 6 is up, top 3 tackles are off the board and Thibodeaux or Hutchinson are available at 6. Would you be open to taking either pass rusher and putting Burns up on the block immediately? Here's my reasoning behind it.

1. Burns is entering year 4. We are going to have to pick up his 5th year or offer him an extension. He's going to command 16-18m per year with the increase in salary cap. We can't realistically pay him and Reddick. 

2. By taking Thibs or Hutch, we get an elite level prospect on rookie contract for the next 3-4 years without extension which is cap productive.

3. Burns, fresh off a pro bowl would command at least a 1st in the teens or early 20s, and a 2nd or 3rd, possibly both depending on the draft slot, allowing us to recoup some picks from the Darnold fiasco. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get Philly's 15 and 19 even if we had to add a 2023 3rd or 4th to make it work. Ryan Kerrigan is a FA this year so edge rusher is a need and Burns is already proven over a mid level 1st rounder gamble. 

4. Teams are always looking for elite level edge rushers, so making a trade for Burns should be easier than finding a trade partner to move up to 6 unless one of the QBs wows in the combine. 

In this scenario, my ideal situation would be, draft either Thibs or Hutch, move Burns and a 2023 3rd for 15 and 19, take Linderbaum at 15 and Raimann at 19, Then we could possibly trade back again to mid 20s to pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd, and take Raimann there if we feel that's where he ranks on our road. BC becomes our swing tackle. Use the extra picks to get IOL or Muma at LB solving 2 more of our problems and relieving us of some cap space issues potentially. 

It's a little crazy, but with only 1 pick in the first 3 rounds and being somewhat cap strapped to improve our line, it seems like a reasonable option, emotions removed. But again, this all would hinge on Thibs or Hutch being available and the top 3 LTs being gone already. 

Thoughts? 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

18 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

So on draft day, pick 6 is up, top 3 tackles are off the board and Thibodeaux or Hutchinson are available at 6. Would you be open to taking either pass rusher and putting Burns up on the block immediately? Here's my reasoning behind it.

Thoughts? 

Haven't thought about this angle. It does make some sense. There is a bit of a gamble though since we are trading away a known quantity in Burns for an unknown at #6; not all 1st rounders pan out.

• Pie 3

I'd like to think we could get more than Pick 16 for Burns (his original selection).  

If anything, I'd basically shop him for a min 2023 1st & 2022 mid-rounder regardless of who we may get at the top of the draft.  

However, I do like him and he could grow into a premier player if he can continue to refine his run-d skills.  

This is an interesting thread.  Nice thought process.

I think if we are keeping Burns long term, we should go ahead and lock him up on an extension now.  If we just let him walk without signing him or trading him, that will be a big whiff IMO.

Personally, I'm probably trading him.  He's a good player, but I'm not building my defense around him.