• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on trading DJ Moore?

hepcat

13 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

In typical Panthers fashion we’ll use a 1st round pick to fill a need, he plays well and then after 5 years we let them walk for nothing where they get way overpaid. Panthers are literally a buy high, sell low organization. 

This has literally happened happened  TWICE in the last 20 first round picks….

1. Star 

2. Butler

and neither of those players got “overpaid.” How is this “typical panthers fashion ?”

also, this example is not a buy high example at all. Drafting a player is far cheaper than signing players ….

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Someone would have to significantly overpay. Very few WRs would have three straight 1000 yard seasons given our QB and overall offensive situation in those three seasons. DJ is wildly underrated by this fanbase. I think he's the second best WR we've ever had. If you want to still out Moose over him I won't argue too hard against it. But at absolute worst he's 3rd. No one else is even in the conversation.

I honestly wouldn't trade him for any less than two 1sts.

That’s not saying much because we only had 1 or 2 great wrs ever.

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s a goal of a team rebuilding if you have players that aren’t part of the rebuild like Short back in 2019/2020. Expensive and old makes no sense on a rebuild and having more picks when you lack talent helps.

That said, DJ falls into the he’s young and good and trading him makes no sense. I’d argue that looking at Robby as a 2 year bridge to Marshall or whoever made no sense to extend. Not only is he not as good as Moore, if you only want him for 1 or 2 years, why bother.

We already screwed up the rebuild because we didn’t value picks like Bradberry’s 3rd round comp or pick 38 this year and others for Sam. Had we valued picks more maybe we don’t bother with Teddy (he canceled the 3rd and got NO a 3rd) or Sam, which honestly would have put us in a much better position than we are now.

To be fair, the separation between Moore and Anderson at WR wasn't as evident after the 2020 season. Anderson looked good in 2020. Hopefully he can return to that production, but it's looking like he got paid and didn't go as hard once there was no chemistry with the QBs.

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Someone would have to significantly overpay. Very few WRs would have three straight 1000 yard seasons given our QB and overall offensive situation in those three seasons. DJ is wildly underrated by this fanbase. I think he's the second best WR we've ever had. If you want to still out Moose over him I won't argue too hard against it. But at absolute worst he's 3rd. No one else is even in the conversation.

I honestly wouldn't trade him for any less than two 1sts.

Thank you sir. Literally was about to right the same exact thing, I really struggle to understand what it is with this fan base and their lack of appreciation of DJ. He has literally never in his career not gone gone over 1000 yards with the quarterbacks we have had rostered, he’s literally still 24 I don’t understand it. “Lack of killer instinct” “not a winner” guys I hate to break it to you but not every fuging wide receiver has to have the exact personality of Smitty to be a great wr. DJ is a star, a young star with no off the field issues or injury history can y’all get over yourselves finally?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

1 minute ago, shaq said:

Thank you sir. Literally was about to right the same exact thing, I really struggle to understand what it is with this fan base and their lack of appreciation of DJ. He has literally never in his career not gone gone over 1000 yards with the quarterbacks we have had rostered, he’s literally still 24 I don’t understand it. “Lack of killer instinct” “not a winner” guys I hate to break it to you but not every fuging wide receiver has to have the exact personality of Smitty to be a great wr. DJ is a star, a young star with no off the field issues or injury history can y’all get over yourselves finally?

Is he worth $20 mil per year in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Is he worth $20 mil per year in your opinion?

First off you none of us have any idea what his asking price is your literally guessing. Secondly, to win football games you actually have to resign your talented players. Y’all really want to turn into the old Browns smh.

Edited by shaq

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s a goal of a team rebuilding if you have players that aren’t part of the rebuild like Short back in 2019/2020. Expensive and old makes no sense on a rebuild and having more picks when you lack talent helps.

That said, DJ falls into the he’s young and good and trading him makes no sense. I’d argue that looking at Robby as a 2 year bridge to Marshall or whoever made no sense to extend. Not only is he not as good as Moore, if you only want him for 1 or 2 years, why bother.

We already screwed up the rebuild because we didn’t value picks like Bradberry’s 3rd round comp or pick 38 this year and others for Sam. Had we valued picks more maybe we don’t bother with Teddy (he canceled the 3rd and got NO a 3rd) or Sam, which honestly would have put us in a much better position than we are now.

Sure, I pioneered the “bridgewater cost us a 3rd” bandwagon, I was groveling before the ink on his contract was dry.

but Moore isn’t going to command a 1st. Even if he did, it’s still a pick you’re going to have to use on a WR. 

he just isn’t a viable to candidate to move, especially if you’ve got a rookie QB you need to surround with talent, which seems to be the way it’s trending.

34 minutes ago, frankw said:

Offense runs the league and talented young receivers are more sought after. Your solution to our woes is to offload ours in an already struggling offense? And ya'll ridicule Matt Rhule for not knowing what he's doing 😂

It’s already been done champ. Vikings pulled this move trading Diggs for a 1st and getting Justin Jefferson. Not saying the Panthers can turn around and get a WR as good as Jefferson but they could sign a vet FA cheaper than what DJ will command in a contract extension. 

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It’s already been done champ. Vikings pulled this move trading Diggs for a 1st and getting Justin Jefferson. Not saying the Panthers can turn around and get a WR as good as Jefferson but they could sign a vet FA cheaper than what DJ will command in a contract extension. 

Yeah if you're hoping we back our way into our own Jefferson or Chase all I can say is good luck. We have one pick in the first three rounds this year and needs all along the oline. We also have TMJ waiting in the wings though he has proven absolutely nothing at this level yet and could not even get a game jersey when the season was lost. I can say with perspective of the past that I am in no way shape or form banking on an FA receiver replicating or replacing production here because I have lived that storyline as a Panthers fan for years. We aren't getting a first for DJ and if that's the case I would rather keep him and see what he can accomplish with a real quarterback.

• Pie 2

You resign good young players at premium positions. Guys like Burns and Moore at edge rusher and WR. You let guys walk at less premium positions. Guys like CMC and Shaq at RB and LB for instance.

Historically, we have badly mismanaged our allocation of resources, both on terms of draft picks and cap space. You have to spend at positions of importance and fill lesser positions with veteran stop gaps and mid-round picks. I would put positional value over all else in terms of spending capital. People wanting to take a center at #6 overall are outta their minds. I might feel differently of that was the glaring weakness on a team positioned to contend but that's not our situation at all. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah if you're hoping we back our way into our own Jefferson or Chase all I can say is good luck. We have one pick in the first three rounds this year and needs all along the oline. We also have TMJ waiting in the wings though he has proven absolutely nothing at this level yet and could not even get a game jersey when the season was lost. I can say with perspective of the past that I am in no way shape or form banking on an FA receiver replicating or replacing production here because I have lived that storyline as a Panthers fan for years. We aren't getting a first for DJ and if that's the case I would rather keep him and see what he can accomplish with a real quarterback.

It's also worth asking how are the Vikings doing? Top teams can play the game of moving good players for premium picks to conserve cap space and hope to not get worse in the process. We're not there. We don't have the luxury of creating more holes on this block of swiss cheese. Especially when our biggest hole is by far the most important hole.

• Pie 1