• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremiah: Panthers "dead set" on drafting an offensive lineman

Mr. Scot

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Another reason I am not high on Fitterer at all. Teams coveting OL and is having to pay a lot for two bad OL FAs and yet we don’t take Humphrey over Marshall, knowing that we were planning to extend Robby, and we take a long snapper over a guy who was rated as a day 2 G talent.

If OL are so hard to get and our OL sucks balls, in 11 picks you go a guy in the 3rd that you aren’t sure if he’s a T or G and in the 6th you take a project who had a 1.48 RAS (over the G above who had a 9.8 RAS score). You couldn’t intentionally make more bad decisions than our FO. 

I'm not high on Fitt either, but to be fair, he only admitted to trying to trade for OL after free agency and the draft were long over with.

I'm not a fan of the RAS score. I'd rather have a guy that can actually play his position well over one that has a high score. Take Ian Thomas for example. He has a high RAS score, but isn't a good TE.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:56 AM, AU-panther said:

He is probably talking about Penning or Cross being reaches.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/daniel-jeremiah-2022-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-bills-land-another-playmaking-wr-for-jos

Not everyone is as high on Cross, he has him mocked 22,and has us drafting Penning.

From Jeremiah: "The Panthers are desperate for O-line help. This is a little early for Penning, but he has guard/tackle flexibility and he'll start from Day 1 in Carolina."

The LS pick was indefensible. During the draft everyone here was clamoring to take Trey Smith. Everyone on ESPN said take Trey Smith, he's too talented to pass up and its worth the medical risk. We needed a OG in the worst way. Its the sixth round. Yet we take a long snapper that not only did we not need, but probably wouldn't have been drafted. And of course Trey Smith goes on to be a very good guard his rookie season.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

When Thibodeaux drops to 6, and Rhule has to choose between Thibs, Pickett and an OL, true colors will show. 

As much as the huddle will crucify the pick, Thibs would be the logical choice. The only thing they can't do is draft a CB. 

Edited by amcoolio

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

You also save a lot of money on Reddick and maybe get a 3rd round comp in 2023. I wouldn’t hate that especially since it means that the 3 tackles are likely already gone.

Everyone keeps referring to the top 3 tackles as they are all worthy of the 6th pick.  There is a very good chance the teams don't view them that way.  

That is why Jeremiah says we might reach for someone like Penning.  He actually has Cross mocked 22nd.  To the fans' Cross isn't a reach but to Jeremiah or the teams he could be.

It's very possible the us, or any team, could have OT1 and OT2 in a totally different tier then OT3 and OT4.  That is why I would not be surprised at all if OT1 and OT2 are gone we don't consider another position.

I could easily see the top of our board looking something like OT1, OT2, DE1, DE2, CB1, S1 in no particular order. If one of those top tier talents are there, they might not be willing to pass to draft a lower tier talent even if it is at position of "great" need such as most think LT is.  At that point they might decide to make due with BC.

Personally, I think there is a very good chance at least 2 of the OTs are off the board by the time we pick, Jags, Giants, Texans are all in play, how high we view OT3 will go a long way in deciding what we draft.

• Pie 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Two things that bother me...

First, they smokescreened interest in a quarterback last year. They could be doing something similar this year.

And second, that phrase "even if it's a reach" isn't something I like to hear.

Should read, "As long as his reach is greater than Slaters".