• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas Contract Details (also TE market is HOT)

Evil Hurney

10 minutes ago, t96 said:

Thomas isn't a great blocker and Manhertz got 2 years $6M, that's nearly half as much as Thomas got...

Might want to check that again, it was posted on here in the Ian Thomas contract thread that he is one of the better blocking TEs in the league. Also, Ian's contract is smaller in gauranteed money than Manhertz. Look at the OP screenshot. Manhertz was gauranteed 4.25million, and Ian is only gauranteed 3mil.  

Some Panthers fans could eat a poo sandwich and convince themselves it was filet mignon. I don't think anyone was arguing it was a cap killer kind of contract but the production has not been there nor the consistency. So in that regard another on brand Panthers deal from the same team that made it first priority to get PJ Walker under a new contract.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

That was literally all the naysayers biggest knock last week for this upcoming season lol

He'll have a seven million dollar cap hit in the final year of the contract but he has not been particularly good beyond his first year. If you get a real QB and do something with the oline people will have less to say about this. Those who choose to be a mouthpiece for the FO are free to express their takes the same as anyone who is a skeptic.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

He's very replacement level though and we just drafted Tremble who showed a lot of promise. It's not as bad as it initially seemed and I understand the TE market but I just don't understand why it was a priority to re-sign him. I don't think he would've gotten this deal on the open market.

No need to risk it either and be stuck with just Tremble and not other receiving threat at the position. People forget Ian looked pretty good back in 2018 filling in for an injured Olsen. Kyle, Teddy, and Darnold seemed to rarely look his way, not to mention the Brady offense seemed to devalue that position as a read. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthercougar68 said:

This is why you have to wait for contract details. 

No you don't.  The first thing we do when news of a contract, extension, or restructure comes out is over react.  I said that earlier in the Shaq restructure thread. 

But taking a breath, reading, and understanding the number is not the internet, social media, nor the Huddle way.

30 minutes ago, frankw said:

Some Panthers fans could eat a poo sandwich and convince themselves it was filet mignon. I don't think anyone was arguing it was a cap killer kind of contract but the production has not been there nor the consistency. So in that regard another on brand Panthers deal from the same team that made it first priority to get PJ Walker under a new contract.

You really whining about this -- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/phillip-walker-22025/

$895,000 to have a back up QB for CHEAP knowing that there are other cap allocations needed elsewhere?

The PJ extension shouldn't even garner attention, we have a back up the end; yet people were freaking out like they set some kind of record retaining him. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, t96 said:

He's very replacement level though and we just drafted Tremble who showed a lot of promise. It's not as bad as it initially seemed and I understand the TE market but I just don't understand why it was a priority to re-sign him. I don't think he would've gotten this deal on the open market.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a league minimum type of player. He's fighting for the #3 TE spot on decent rosters.

this is what people lose sight of.  They see these deals in the 4-6m and think they are small because we get use to the $20m+ deals that some of the top players get.

In fact any deal in that range is actually the exception, not the rule.  Look at the Rams, which most people think of as a "bought" team.  As of now they only have 10 players with cap hits larger than $3.2m on their books for next year.

Los Angeles Rams Salary Cap | Over the Cap

You give out enough of these mid level contracts to replacement level players that prevents you from paying guys who are actually above average, someone like Reddick or Gilmore.

As far as the actually contract goes, one of the best ways to judge a contract is to look at the per year cost if the player doesn't make it to the end of the contract.  Fact is a lot of times players don't make it to the end.

If Thomas is cut after one year he will consume $8.3m in cap space for an average of $8.3m per year.

If Thomas is cut after two years he will consume $11.5m in cap space for an average of 5.75m per year.

If Thomas plays all 3 years he will consume $16.95m in cap space for an average of 5.65m per year.

Very good chance it ends up being a 2yr/$11.5m deal for an average of $5.75m.  By the third year he will be either playing well and wanting an extension or playing bad and not worth the $5m salary.