• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Florio: Panthers understand they have to give up 3 firsts, another pick, and 1-2 (Chinn, Burns, Brown, Horn)

Kraybrothers

Just now, stbugs said:

I don’t think we are. There’s a huge difference between what the Rams did and us. They were giving up picks in playoff contender ranges, 20-30. We are giving up top 10 picks. Of course we could say every pick could be Derrick Brown, but we could be passing up on picking the next Watson (pick 12), Mahomes (10), Herbert (6) or Allen (7) to go along with another 3-4 top 10 talents. People will point to Brown but forget that one pick earlier was Herbert. 

100% agree.  Plus we are giving up those players in addition to future picks.  I don't understand this framing that we're just giving up the last 3 guys we selected.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Didn't he go 4-12 in his last season? What makes you think they'll field a team good enough for him to reverse those numbers?

Yes, he did.  He is not this incredible player worth any draft picks.  He hasn’t done anything in 2 years and he is a possible sexual predator?  Good lord.  I would rather lose every game than even take him on the team for free.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 4

46 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

I would rather actually build a line with quality people around Darnold. Why gut they defense, with no future assets to improve it for the next four years. No thanks. 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Build it around Darnold.  

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Just now, Actionman0z said:

I would rather actually build a line with quality people around Darnold. Why gut they defense, with no future assets to improve it for the next four years. No thanks. 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Build it around Darnold.  

And when/if Darnold fails again, we'll have a strong foundation for a drafted QB to step in.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

The reality is there’s no reason any top flight qb should and would want to come here, we’ve as and organization have just absolutely fumbled the post cam era in every fashion.

now the one good thing(CMC) can’t stay healthy and might be being shopped, along with a HC that makes Bill o Brien look like Tom Landry, and a owner that hasn’t shown any reason to trust his decision making 

this is a lose/lose situation, great qb accompany with highly questionable coach and suspect owner or no great qb comes here because of those reasons.

5 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Reddick was on a prove it deal. He's not staying. He played for a big contract and hes going to get it. Gilmore was a trade and it doesn't look like he's staying either. He's going to get paid too. Good FAs don't flock to bad teams unless they're overpaid. And in what world do you trade that much for a player and have to hope and pray he doesn't do some stupid poo again that ends up in more lawsuits and criminal investigations? Plus how do we know he will even want to stay after 2 or 3 4-5 win seasons under Rhule. You can't break the bank for a guy with this many question marks not even counting the current allegations and charges. 

I didn't tell you the trade amount I would be interested in for Watson.

We could keep Reddick and Gilmore if we wanted to keep them. They were willing to come here, and that is the point.

Edited by pantherj

38 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Because on on Sundays on the football field he is great. One of only a few truly great QB’s in the league.

imagine him under center with McCaffrey at RB DJ Moore and Robby Anderson at WR 

Yes out O-line is bad but look how far Joe Burrow took the Bengals and his offensive line was terrible 

We beat that fug with Kyle Allen, I’m not giving up 5 1st combined in picks + players for him. No way. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

53 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

That's insanity for a guy in his situation.

I agree completely. Do not want.

But you must realize should he not be charged criminally, which may be decided soon, (Friday or the coming week, deadline of April 1 at the latest). This is most likely a civil only matter.

Also keep in mind if it does go criminal, it does not mean he will be convicted. An indictment is not a conviction. It means a case will be built and go to a plea or trial. But it’s a sign when the grand jury declares evidence worthy, it means it usually is and most importantly, gives you a peak at what a trial would result in should you not plea. On a smaller related note though, we are speaking about high paid lawyers and individuals …a lot of things can happen and have happened evident in judicial history when big money is involved.

Meaning, as a civil case, the only repercussions from a team’s perspective, will be whatever punishment the NFL decides to impose on Watson, and their limits within their guidelines of something that is in fact not criminal.

I have no idea what that is.

And I also have no idea if sitting out last year will play into any ‘credit time served’ agreement or argument presented by Walton’s side, on his behalf, that will provide better optics from the masses on the end result (which matters quite a bit) or possibly won’t even matter at all. I’m not an expert in NFL guidelines so not sure.

Watson is pleading the 5th in the civil dispositions. Which makes sense, there is absolutely no reason to testify with criminal charges looming, that is kind of a form of double jeopardy in a sense, though only technically applying to criminal cases. It is still self incrimination, and legal officials recognize that. It is not a shocking move.

The fifth is generally used in civil cases to avoid self discrimination. He can plead the fifth in criminal court however this will be very unlikely, and can be overruled by the judge. It is also only applied to specific scenarios and questioning. And it can be worked around regardless. Therefore, not really a tool in criminal proceedings, only civil and testifying for a third party case(s).

Some crumbs for thought.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

I just can’t take it anymore. Who are we bidding against? I read the Steelers don’t want Watson, the Seahawks are tearing everything to the ground and starting over and the Colts don’t have a first round pick this year. Seriously, who are we bidding against?

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

And when/if Darnold fails again, we'll have a strong foundation for a drafted QB to step in.

This is a great comment.  Darnold may not be a good QB and may turn the ball over at moments notice but no one has ever questioned Sams dedication and leadership.  He will keep working and has great character.  That should count for something but maybe not

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1