• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson won't face criminal charges

TheSpecialJuan

16 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The good teams have more than just a franchise QB. They have good management, coaches, and scouts. They make smart trades and signings, treat the players well, and aren't afraid to cut or trade a guy that is getting long in the tooth. In short, successful teams are well run teams from the top down.

Giving up multiple picks can be smart when the team is entering their window to compete for a title. See the Chiefs and Rams for example. Giving up multiple picks out of desperation is stupid. See Washington with the RG3 trade or the Saints with the Ricky Williams trade for example.

Giving up multiple picks and young starting players is beyond stupid, especially when you won't have the cap space to sign quality free agents to replace those young starters. Bypassing better quality prospects for more later round picks as the Panthers did this past draft isn't the way to replace those starting caliber players either.

I get wanting to have a young, exciting, and dynamic young QB to cheer for, but selling the farm to acquire one is not the way when the team is in bad shape. I'm against selling out for this trade just as I was for trading up in the draft, the team just isn't ready to compete.

I’d agree with most of what you said, but do you really have confidence in this organization to build that way? Do you have confidence that they’ll build this team like that?

Hell, we’ve been trying to build the O-line for the better part of a decade. We’ve had top 10 picks 3 out of the last 5 years. 4 out of 6 if you count this year. All for what? Another 5 win season? 

As I stated before, Watson has 10+ years of prime football left. This team isn’t ready now and it won’t be ready for another 3 years with or without Watson. Why not get the franchise QB box marked off? Even if we make the best picks we possibly could the next 2/3 years, it won’t matter. 

Edited by SazmoRanger

9 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

I’d agree with most of what you said, but do you really have confidence in this organization to build that way? Do you have confidence that they’ll build this team like that?

Hell, we’ve been trying to build the O-line for the better part of a decade. We’ve had top 10 picks 3 out of the last 5 years. 4 out of 6 if you count this year. All for what? Another 5 win season? 

As I stated before, Watson has 10+ years of prime football left. This team isn’t ready now and it won’t be ready for another 3 years with or without Watson. Why not get the franchise QB box marked off? Even if we make the best picks we possibly could the next 2/3 years, it won’t matter. 

How do you know that? Cincinnati's roster was awful last year and I'd say they turned it around quick. They even still have some glaring holes. There are other examples as well.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

We all complained when we had cam that the team didn’t do enough to help him and his career was shortened because of injuries. Now some of you want us to give up at least 3 firsts and some good young players to get a franchise QB who isn’t as good as prime Cam. Seems like a repeat of bad history. 

5 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

How do you know that? Cincinnati's roster was awful last year and I'd say they turned it around quick. They even still have some glaring holes. There are other examples as well.

I’m talking about without a franchise QB. If you go back and look I actually used Cincy as an example of being irrelevant until Burrow. They have had top picks for YEARS. That didn’t matter until Burrow came around. 

Sure, it’s possible the Panthers could find a franchise QB sometime between now and 3 years, but our organization hasn’t shown it can scout the QB position and I don’t trust this organization when it comes to unproven QBs…. Call me crazy, but I don’t see any of these draft eligible QBs as game changers. 

• The D 1

5 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

No, a franchise QB does not cure all ills.

• Did having Cam fix the bad receivers and O-line he had for most of his time in Charlotte?
  • Did having Cam give the team back to back winning seasons?
  • Did having Cam give the Panthers more winning seasons than losing ones with him?
  • Did having Cam make Ron and Co better coaches?
  • Did having Cam make Hurney and Gettlemen better GMs?
  • Did having Cam win a Superbowl?

The answer to all of those questions is no.

We watched the movie where having a franchise QB and never puts a good team around him which results in being mediocre. I'm not interested in the remake where the bad team sells the farm for said QB and is unable to put a winning team around him because they don't have high draft picks to replace the young talent they gave away along with the picks themselves. Oh, nor do they have the cap space to afford good talent because of the QBs high cap hit along with the prior mistakes' cap hits.

The Bills are looking like a good team to follow about right now. I remember watching all 4 of the SB loses and feeling sorry for them after the second one. Then after the third it became pity.  Losing the fourth one took the soul out of them and they never recovered. It's amazing what a good coach can do.

We should've kept McDermott. 

• Pie 4

Crap.....I just thought of something. Rule is the best snake oil salesman in the league (the only thing he excels in) and Watson wants to talk to the coaches.

Its going to happen and we're going to be looking at the league from a big ol' hole in the ground.

3 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Aside from the pass protection and DB's they were pretty decent. Burrow and two good young WR's, Joe Mixon was pretty good. Imagine our coaches designing a 3/8 defensive scheme halftime adjustment to beat the Chiefs. We have pretty similar rosters minus the QB, add our coaching staff to their team and they definitely lose that Chiefs playoff game. 

4 hours ago, amcoolio said:

They got their franchise QB and then used their first round pick to take Chase, who was an integral part of leading that team to the SB. If they had spent 3 1sts to acquire Burrow, there would have been no Chase and no SB trip. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Aside from the pass protection and DB's they were pretty decent. Burrow and two good young WR's, Joe Mixon was pretty good. Imagine our coaches designing a 3/8 defensive scheme halftime adjustment to beat the Chiefs. We have pretty similar rosters minus the QB, add our coaching staff to their team and they definitely lose that Chiefs playoff game. 

Zac Taylor was considered really bad and on the hot seat to get fired before this season, almost exactly like Rhule