• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talking Offensive Line - Is this an improvement?

Zod

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Is this an improvement over last year's starting unit and if so by how much?

Christensen played LT in college and some last year.  Just keep him there from day 1 of training camp and let Campen work with him to iron out any problems.  

Moton is comfortable at RT so he stays there.  The pairing of the vet Moton with Brown may be a good one.  Lots of beef on that side of the ball.  

Christensen -  FA  -  Elflein  -  Brown  -  Moton

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Yes, people were. Thinking a 6th rounder is an immediate starter is putting a rookie on a pedestal. No one is thinking all pro but the assumption he is an NFL starter is a huge assumption. Unknown? We knew a lot about Brown. He was legitimately the worst OL at the Senior Bowl and clearly DGAF about being ready for the draft. We also know he agility scores were in the 1s on a 0 to 10 scale where 0 means dead. Brown wasn’t an unknown, he was way overhyped in here.

It would be an amazing surprise that he gets himself into amazing shape and increases his athleticism to the point where he can be a good starter. As posted above, if I’m a DC, I am blowing the poo out of the Elflein-Brown holes.

People were saying, including me, can he be worse than Miller? He did lose weight. He said he worked to get himself into better shape for the NFL. If I'm a DC I'm blowing the poo out of the Elfein-Miller holes.

Miller acted like he didn't give a poo what happened. There's no place for that. Brown could end up being absolute poo. Do I trust Rhule to be the judge like he has been? I do not. He thought Elfein and Irving were day 1 FAs. He tried to make BC play all over the line even after he had a better showing than Irving in TC and he kept getting bowled over inside. Maybe Campen can fix some of these issues. Maybe not. But there's no point holding roster space for Miller when the best thing he can do for the team is not dress on Sunday. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish I knew about Brown. If only we had played him at some point last year instead of proven trash vets.

That's what gets me.  Brown no matter how overweight he was could not have been any worse than what we put out there.  All that keeps ringing in my ears is Rhule saying "You don't play until you reach our weight goal" No matter how good he was at his current weight. 

If your guards are turnstiles your center is not going to grade very well.  

Leave BC at LT and get some freaking help on the interior.  

It's going to take some time for Campen to get our line in shape. 

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Our OL sucked balls as did coaching but I legitimately don’t think Brown was ready as much as people wished or thought he was. Rhule has said he probably should have played BC more. Crickets on Brown. As much as we all wanted BC to play more, he still played 42% of the offensive snaps so BC was on the field almost half the time. Brown played 2.6% of the snaps.

I don’t know if you watched the Senior Bowl, it Brown was the worst OL. He was was that day than I though Little was bad at the combine drills. I poo you not, DL were running around him like he was standing still. His athletic scores from the combine or pro-day (don’t recall if he did the combine) were about as bad as you can get. Little’s RAS score was awful and it showed on the field and Little doubled up Brown’s score.

I have no faith that Brown really did what was necessary to get onto the field and I seem to remember him getting IR’s or inactivated and saying that he took a step back and was disappointing.

Counting on Brown next year or any year IMHO is a mistake. Not saying it’s not possible but I don’t think that if Trey Smith was our pick instead, he would have let Miller beat him out. Replacing Miller should have been easy. I don’t think the coaches were actively trying to sabotage him because they loved Miller.

We are just so accustomed to seeing dreadful OL play that we are grasping at the Brown and Christensen straws. Brown is probably not an NFL caliber player and BC is best as a backup guy.

I think the more PT they get, the more we are going to see how terrible the Panthers OL evaluation skills are.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

Likely not, the fact that no one, coaches and fans can’t even figure out where to slot BC tells us what we need. He’s at best a top swing-OL/backup type and I’m honestly not too high on him as a long term starter. 

We still just have Moton and hope. 

We need a minimum 2 decent FA signings and a mid rounder at G/C to make it better than below-average/mostly miserable.

• Beer 2

43 minutes ago, davos said:

Likely not, the fact that no one, coaches and fans can’t even figure out where to slot BC tells us what we need. He’s at best a top swing-OL/backup type and I’m honestly not too high on him as a long term starter. 

We still just have Moton and hope. 

We need a minimum 2 decent FA signings and a mid rounder at G/C to make it better than below-average/mostly miserable.

Fans figured out early on he was the best looking LT we had on the roster. Coaches, not so much.

I could build a better OL with 3 draft picks to fill out the interior OL.

Tom, Kinnard, Wohlabaugh, Linderbaum, Steuber, McKethan, Jurgens, Wattenberg, Strange, Vrabel or Rivas.

Pick any 3. Improved.

I'm good with Moton and BC at tackles as long as there is a quick and intelligent center leading/making calls and a quality athletic guard next to BC.