• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three top 10 QB's refused to play for Matt Rhule.

Zod

1 minute ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Rhule is definitely a factor but let’s be honest, why would a athlete choose Charlotte over LA, Tampa, NYC, Atlanta, Denver or Miami? We can’t build a mercenary team because we’re in the same boat as a Tennessee or Buffalo. You have to build your roster and bring in mid range players because these “stars” want to go where the action (Atlanta, LA, NYC), endorsements (LA, NYC) or tax breaks exist (Tampa, Miami). 

Tampa? Atlanta? SERIOUSLY? 

Tampa was one piece away. LA was one piece away. Denver was one piece away. 

No QB went to Miami. None. And NYC is garbage. Both the Jets and Giants suck. If your franchise is winning or one piece away. That's what matters. 

19 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

It was the clear mishandling of Cam Newton and his career that would have lead to this. 

Absolutely. Tepper and Rhule came in thinking they had all the answers and engaged in a public fallout with the best thing to ever happen to the franchise and the city of Charlotte. The fans didn't want it that way. But they are the ones who are left picking up the pieces from that fiasco.

Our problem is that we are trying to recruit top quarterbacks who have sway and influence in the decision without providing the support they desire.  Honestly, who would willingly stand behind our line before it has been built.

It's fairly obvious that fortunes can turn around quickly in the NFL.  Keeping Rhule, in my opinion was a mistake.  He showed the same level of incompetence that Riviera did his last year.  The only thing that makes Rhule's tenure more excusable than the last two years of Ron's tenure is that Ron had a veteran team that clearly under performed.   

If Tepper has the set he claims to have, he would have already taken Rhule's final say away from him and given it to Morgan and Fitt.  I would then read the tea leaves and see if we can move back slightly.  I would be OK with giving up on Cross and taking Penning or Tyler Linderbaum with an early mid first round pick if we were able to pick up a second round pick.  If we are able to sign a center like Bozeman, we could even consider Bernard Raimann and let him and Brady fight it out to see who is best suited for LT or LG.  A line of Moten, Corbett, Bozeman, BC, BR/TP would be more enticing to a QB. Setting us like this would make me feel all right with Cam Irving and Eflin as veteran backups.  Any QB coming here would at least feel safe with the updated front 5 and depth.

However, signing an expensive FA is not the way to go.  I would explore sending a 5th or 4th rounder to Philli for Gardner Minshew or seeing if by trading back we can pick up someone like Carson Strong to compete with Sam and be groomed as a long term backup if we are in a better position to draft a QB in the future.  It's a toss up on who is less bad at this point between Cam and Sam.  If the draft doesn't work out for a QB, and Cam will play for cheap, I'd consider just eating Sam's cap hit as I cut him and let Cam have one last run with a full offseason.

IMO, if Tepper really did tell Watson that he could pick the next HC that would've been a turn off. It doesn't show a great vision for the future if you already want to get rid of the coach going into next season and no player should have that much say who the HC is.

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Deshaun Watson

Russell Wilson

Matthew Stafford

All said hell so to coming to Carolina to play for Matt Rhule. 

You hear that Tepper? 

Actually, the article only says that Wilson refused to waive his no trade clause to come to Carolina. It mentions nothing about the other 2's reasons specifically and it doesn't mention Rhule at all in that context. The media is already bad enough with the truth without people misrepresenting what they have written to fit their own personal ideas about what maybe happened. 

I know it's important to keep activity up after the Watson boom but retreating back into the same ol' posts about (insert name) sucks isn't going to do it. That's why the activity had decreased until recently. We get it. You're unhappy. But it's boring. 

Rhule may not the entirely to blame...

...but he can't be considered blameless either.

In the case of stafford, Rhule was still largely new and somewhat unknown though seemingly trending upward. Still, the Rams were better and there were said to be some outside considerations too, including some reportedly from his wife.

Wilson? Even with the connections to Scott Fitterer, Wilson (and his wife) weren't interested. They wanted something better than the Panthers. And in Wilson's situation, that's kind of understandable.

That brings us to Watson. And two things here:

Watson's perception of the Panthers as a team likely isn't good (heaven knows nobody else's is). Now that may not be a direct rebuttal of Matt Rhule but it is a rebuttal of the team that he's primarily responsible for building.

The other thing you have to consider though is that Watson, as far as I know, is the first of the three to have in-person contact with Matt Rhule. We've talked previously about Rhule as a salesman and how he smooth talked the Panthers. Well, he had the chance to do that with Watson as well.

Didn't work.

So what you can ultimately say is that whether it's Rhule himself or the team that he put together, franchise quarterbacks seem to have a negative opinion of it.

Also, apparently their wives hate us 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’ve said it since the beginning that there was no plan. I had a better plan tanking for Trevor. Whether Grier would have gotten us pick 1 is debatable but it was a clear plan that you could stick to and that’s what we needed. Tepper put that note in PSL boxes that said hey this is going to be a process so you’ll need to be patient. Heck, Rhule had a horrible first year at Temple and Baylor as well.

Then, likely because we didn’t kick Hurney to the curb day 1, we went off the plan and spent big money to try and compete in 2020. We failed miserably and then we reached again in 2021 and failed miserably. Now, we have way less draft picks and cap than we would have had if we stayed the course on a real rebuild and we are in no man’s land.

Rhule had total control and made the decision to try and be competitive instead of logical. There’s plenty to blame Hurney for, but none of this mess is his. Rhule made it clear when Andrew Berry(and then no other candidates) would interview because they knew it was all Rhule’s decisions. Giving Rhule’s project QB 34M guaranteed, changed the direction immediately. Then CMCs deal, and you know the rest all too well. Hurney was here to take the blame for anything that went wrong year one. Then many of the same things happened when he was gone. 

1 hour ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I am not a Matt Rhule fan and want him out like everyone, but, if it was Matt’s fault for being here I don’t believe we would have even been allowed to sit down with DW. He told Philly no, twice, No meeting at all.

To be fair, that was David Tepper's decision. It really only reflects Tepper's perception of him, not necessarily anyone else's.

I wrote my thoughts previously though...

22 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Rhule is definitely a factor but let’s be honest, why would a athlete choose Charlotte over LA, Tampa, NYC, Atlanta, Denver or Miami? We can’t build a mercenary team because we’re in the same boat as a Tennessee or Buffalo. You have to build your roster and bring in mid range players because these “stars” want to go where the action (Atlanta, LA, NYC), endorsements (LA, NYC) or tax breaks exist (Tampa, Miami). 

I’m not gonna lie when I read your comments I hear Rivera’s voice in my head.