• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF's Sam Monson on Panthers free agency

TheSpecialJuan

Did not mention the RB Foreman, the LBs, but it feels good to have your feelings about something confirmed.  The QB void must be addressed---I am leaning Minshew in a trade or Pickett at #6.  I think that is what they will do--not necessarily what I want.  I do not know what I want right now.

• Pie 1

I'll admit, I had absolutely 0 faith that we would be able to bring in quality starters in FA because I didn't think we'd be able to even identify them. 

The fact that we have gone and signed guys like Corbett, Bozeman, and Foreman as mulligans for guys we brought in last year like Erving, Elflein, and Hubbard makes me think Rhule may not be in charge of the roster anymore.

If we can get someone even halfway competent to come in and be a starter for us then we may have a shot at the playoffs as long as Rhule doesn't trip over his own feet like he has the past two seasons. 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'll admit, I had absolutely 0 faith that we would be able to bring in quality starters in FA because I didn't think we'd be able to even identify them. 

The fact that we have gone and signed guys like Corbett, Bozeman, and Foreman as mulligans for guys we brought in last year like Erving, Elflein, and Hubbard makes me think Rhule may not be in charge of the roster anymore.

If we can get someone even halfway competent to come in and be a starter for us then we may have a shot at the playoffs as long as Rhule doesn't trip over his own feet like he has the past two seasons. 

I liked last years moves aside from Darnold too though.

Matt Rhule is still coaching this team on Sundays. And Darnold is still the QB. To me, not much as changed. 

9 minutes ago, musicman said:

What happens if they still get another solid O-lineman (draft or FA) and with all those weapons, Darnold plays decent as a game manager, along with that defense, and wins 10 games? Would you be mad?

I'd be pleased. I don't know about the rest of the board. This could actually happen.

Not only are we getting better lineman, but we have a well established O-line coach working to improve the performance of each player on that unit.  We have a new OC. McAdoo's system will be much better suited to the pro game than the scheme Brady tried to implement the past two years. With better protection, and a better scheme, and in a contract year, I expect Darnold to do better "IF" he begins the season as starter.

That's not to say we need to plan of him being our "franchise guy" for the rest of the decade. But, if he does ok I could see extending him 1-2 years until a rookie was ready to start (assuming we don't draft one this year) or solid veteran can be acquired.

31 minutes ago, musicman said:

What happens if they still get another solid O-lineman (draft or FA) and with all those weapons, Darnold plays decent as a game manager, along with that defense, and wins 10 games? Would you be mad?

I’d be ecstatic if we could accomplish that with intentions of upgrading key positions going into the next season. We’d be like the rams a team with a ton of talent just needing a few more stars to push us over the top. Or even the Bucs before Brady stout D good wr and then they added a top Qb top notch TE few more d players presto super bowl.

Edited by trucpfan

24 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

We have an experienced respected front office. They did some dumb things last year but did you think Fitterer, Morgan, Stewart, Suleman are totally useless? 

Rhuke might be but these guys aren't slouches

Based on the dumbassery that was last offseason I was worried that Rhule was still wielding the power like the previous two offseasons. 

This offseason seems way different. 

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The most repeated take I've heard here (in general, not you specifically) is that no FA was coming here, none of our guys would resign with us, because in the entire league nobody wants to play for Rhule.

Well that turned out to be about the dumbest thing I've read in the last few months.

I'm just happy this place isn't so depressing these days.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Don't care what Darnold does this year, it's his last with the Panthers. He's certainly not better than Alex Smith was with the Chiefs and they recognized there would be no Super Bowl for them if they kept him.

Look, as it stands Darnold will be the #1 QB going into training camp.   If he wins the starting QB over a rookie or a FA.  He's going to have to perform.   I've said in many threads that you cannot put all of his problems on him.  Our line was atrocious and that's being kind.   

I think we'll have a much better line and there shouldn't be any more excuses.  I hope somewhere we get our Franchise QB but even if we do I'm hoping Darnold does well.  If he plays well in 2022 and we don't resign him we should be in a position for a compensation pick later on. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

The most repeated take I've heard here (in general, not you specifically) is that no FA was coming here, none of our guys would resign with us, because in the entire league nobody wants to play for Rhule.

Well that turned out to be about the dumbest thing I've read in the last few months.

I'm just happy this place isn't so depressing these days.

Oh straight up I was one of those dudes you're talking about. I admit I was wrong. So much bad over the past few seasons under Rhule lead me to anticipate the worst going into next season. 

I am very pleasantly surprised. Optimistic even and I didn't think that was possible again under a Rhule Regime. I think the fact that we didn't get Watson gave me more hope for the future ironically enough, especially considering all of the decent FA signings we have made thus far.