• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have first round grades on 3 QBs.

Zod

45 minutes ago, Zod said:

“Those in the Panthers organization view Malik Willis, Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral as the top quarterbacks in this draft class, worthy of first-round picks" 

From the observer. 

Expect a trade back and a selection of one of these guys.

They expect one of these guys to still be available if they trade back? After us is a bunch of QB needy teams. If we trade out of top 10 or even 15 there is a chance all 3 QBs will be gone by round 15.

I mean if you aren't picking Willis who is a top 10 lock. These guys are pretty much meh or the same. I don't see the value of passing on Willis or a top flight LT just to take a meh Corral and possibility another Greg little. Could these guys turn out to be good? Sure. But the further down you go the greater the risk of a prospect busting.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

you have  teams with stop gap solutions at QBs. Heading into the draft "one" of those teams is willing to trade down, while all you hear is that the others want to trade up....  

Those teams:
Lions
Steelers
Panthers
Falcons
Seahawks

and I am not even including the Commanders who may want to get a QB like Willis to sit behind Wentz for a year.

Detroit:  If you want a QB, hope that the Jags do not take Hutchinson #1 overall (likely).  He is from Michigan, and the Lions would love him.  I still think Goff is better (this year) than the draft picks, so spending the second overall pick on Willis may be exciting, but would it be smart?  The Lions are key.  But if I am them, I use the second first rounder (#32) and the second rounder (#34) to move back into the middle of the first round for a QB--if that is what I decided to do.  The Lions are desperate for a WR, so I think they could trade away the #2 pick (Atlanta?  Seattle?) and move back for Ohio State's Wilson if Hutchinson is gone and they do not like Thibideaux. 

The Steelers at 20 are going to be agressive for Willis--how aggressive?  It would take 2 first rounders and a second to move all the way up for Willis (to get him at #5).  Are they that much in love with him, or would they rather sit back and go with Trubiski and hope he falls closer to them?  With Trubiski, I tend to think the Steelers will sit at #20 and not trade up unless Willis is there around pick #10 or so.

The Falcons seemed to grab Mariota in a quick, face-saving move.  At 8, will they get aggressive now and take the second QB when they have nobody to throw to?  They have ZERO at WR, and they need an Alpha there.  I just think it makes more sense drafting Wilson (WR Ohio St) or London (WR USC).  They could trade BACK or DOWN to do this.

The Seahawks, assuming they do not grab a veteran QB before the draft, are like Atlanta--they could see what they have in Lock during a rebuilding year, or they could go ahead and grab the QB.  Personally, I think they will use some of the Russell Wilson draft capital and move up to #5 for Willis.   However, they need pass rushers and OTs as well, so it will be interesting to see if they decide to go with Thibodeaux (They compare him to Khalil Mack on one Seattle site)  or OTs Cross or Penning.   If you ask me, Willis at #5 in a trade with the Giants is the move.  Of course, if Detroit takes Willis at #2 or Houston at #3, all bets are off--it will probably mean that the Panthers cannot trade back if they want one of the top 3 QBs. 

Did not mean to be so long winded, but I wanted to do a bit of quick research on this viewpoint and I see it as a real possibility.  To say, "Ah, there will be a QB there if we move back to #12 or so" could be faulty logic.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Detroit:  If you want a QB, hope that the Jags do not take Hutchinson #1 overall (likely).  He is from Michigan, and the Lions would love him.  I still think Goff is better (this year) than the draft picks, so spending the second overall pick on Willis may be exciting, but would it be smart?  The Lions are key.  But if I am them, I use the second first rounder (#32) and the second rounder (#34) to move back into the middle of the first round for a QB--if that is what I decided to do.  The Lions are desperate for a WR, so I think they could trade away the #2 pick (Atlanta?  Seattle?) and move back for Ohio State's Wilson if Hutchinson is gone and they do not like Thibideaux. 

The Steelers at 20 are going to be agressive for Willis--how aggressive?  It would take 2 first rounders and a second to move all the way up for Willis (to get him at #5).  Are they that much in love with him, or would they rather sit back and go with Trubiski and hope he falls closer to them?  With Trubiski, I tend to think the Steelers will sit at #20 and not trade up unless Willis is there around pick #10 or so.

The Falcons seemed to grab Mariota in a quick, face-saving move.  At 8, will they get aggressive now and take the second QB when they have nobody to throw to?  They have ZERO at WR, and they need an Alpha there.  I just think it makes more sense drafting Wilson (WR Ohio St) or London (WR USC).  They could trade BACK or DOWN to do this.

The Seahawks, assuming they do not grab a veteran QB before the draft, are like Atlanta--they could see what they have in Lock during a rebuilding year, or they could go ahead and grab the QB.  Personally, I think they will use some of the Russell Wilson draft capital and move up to #5 for Willis.   However, they need pass rushers and OTs as well, so it will be interesting to see if they decide to go with Thibodeaux (They compare him to Khalil Mack on one Seattle site)  or OTs Cross or Penning.   If you ask me, Willis at #5 in a trade with the Giants is the move.  Of course, if Detroit takes Willis at #2 or Houston at #3, all bets are off--it will probably mean that the Panthers cannot trade back if they want one of the top 3 QBs. 

Did not mean to be so long winded, but I wanted to do a bit of quick research on this viewpoint and I see it as a real possibility.  To say, "Ah, there will be a QB there if we move back to #12 or so" could be faulty logic.

For the 1000 time that is not enough compensation to move from 20 to 5

21 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I see Willis and Pickett going top ten if Detroit takes Willis,  if not I can still see two going top ten if Atlanta goes QB and Carolina does at 6. But if they start dropping out of the top ten, first I see picking qb is Pittsburgh.  So could possibly trade out of the top ten and still get Willis or Pickett but definitely Corral. 

Good thoughts---I would add that Atlanta has so many needs, I think they either trade back or they take a top WR at 8.  They literally have nobody to throw the ball to right now.  They miss the Julio Jones days--so I am guessing Wilson or London, both WRs.  Full disclosure:  The chances of me being right is approximately .014%.  Do not use this information to bet the mortgage.  Seattle is the team that I think will move up if Willis is there at #5.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Throwing out unrealistic trade scenarios isn't really productive 

Are you responding to this quote from my post?:
"With Trubiski, I tend to think the Steelers will sit at #20 and not trade up unless Willis is there around pick #10 or so" 

Please read more carefully. 

Edited by MHS831