• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So, who do you like at QB?

MHS831

Forget trade backs and veteran trades--who would you like to see as the New QB in 2022?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Select one:

• Baker Mayfield
    • Jimmy Garappolo
    • Malik Willis
    • Sam Howell
    • Kenny Pickett
    • Matt Corral
    • Desmond Ridder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/2022 at 03:03 AM

Honestly, at QB right now I've been pounding the drum that we use the draft to take our next back-up QB and save the position for a stronger QB class next season. Use the first round pick on the best offensive lineman available at the time and move on. We need to make a pick that is good for the life of the franchise, coach not-withstanding.

And as to that QB I'd take. Grab Bailey Zappe in the late rounds. He holds the NCAA records for most yards passing in a season AND broke Joe Burrow's record for most TDs in a season. He wasn't at one of the big programs, so he won't be going near the top, but he will be going. He has the "it" factor that makes for a winning QB -- around here, you'd call it the 2003 Delhomme vibe. He's also shown massive improvement each season, at different programs and different coaches. He can be coached, and that is a massively important thing.

Draft Zappe, run Darnold out to start the season, replace him with Zappe and see what we've got. If he is only fair, then we've got another high draft pick and a back-up on the cheap with some experience. We're going to need that after the next coach jettisons Darnold and PJ Walker during the Temple/Baylor purge.

I like Willis but he’s very raw, he’s a boom or bust prospect. Pickett is ready to play and there’s something very Burrow-esque about him. Seems like most people don’t like him simply because Rhule does. Corral is an unknown to me. Don’t want another veteran re-tread bridge QB at this point.

Edited by CatMan72
  • Pie 3

18 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

I like Willis but he’s very raw, he’s a boom or bust prospect. Pickett is ready to play and there’s something very Burrow-esque about him. Seems like most people don’t like him simply because Rhule does. Corral is an unknown to me. Don’t want another veteran re-tread bridge QB at this point.

I’m sure it has nothing to do he was at the same program for his whole 5 year college career, a four year starter, and only produced relevant numbers in his 5th year.

Outside of his small hands him and Burrow couldn’t be further apart.

8 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

I’m sure it has nothing to do he was at the same program for his whole 5 year college career, a four year starter, and only produced relevant numbers in his 5th year.

Outside of his small hands him and Burrow couldn’t be further apart.

Burrow couldn’t even start at OSU. Transferred to LSU and had an ok year projecting him mid to late draft pick. Then his final year when he was similar age to Pickett, he played amazing. Burrow’s ceiling was questioned as well as he is “limited” athletically. The difference is Burrow when undefeated in a tough SEC and won it all, however he had an absolutely loaded team with a NFL roster. There are some similarities, but Burrow just has that “it” factor where he refuses to lose. He even adjusted his throwing motion/stance to increase velocity this past offseason in the NFL. Burrow reminds me of Brady where he is going to do what it takes to get better and win every game he can. I’m not sure if Pickett is wired that way or not…

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean…a little strange to prop up the Colts/Irsay considering the Wentz trade was even more of a colossal bust than Darnold when you factor in what they traded away. That trade actually made me grateful we only gave up a 2nd and 4th instead of the 1st and 3rd for Wentz, who couldn’t even beat Jacksonville to take them into the playoffs…and then gets shipped off again after one year. Irsay is so very brave to mildly criticize Wentz after trading him away.

You’re allowed to whine about the team without feeling the need to prop up a steaming pile of garbage in comparison.

Not propping anyone up. The Colts are miles ahead of the Panthers at this point though. We were swept by the NFCE (lol) who are we to judge? If you want to take that out on me tee off I guess. Thanks for the input pal.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

53 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Burrow couldn’t even start at OSU. Transferred to LSU and had an ok year projecting him mid to late draft pick. Then his final year when he was similar age to Pickett, he played amazing. Burrow’s ceiling was questioned as well as he is “limited” athletically. The difference is Burrow when undefeated in a tough SEC and won it all, however he had an absolutely loaded team with a NFL roster. There are some similarities, but Burrow just has that “it” factor where he refuses to lose. He even adjusted his throwing motion/stance to increase velocity this past offseason in the NFL. Burrow reminds me of Brady where he is going to do what it takes to get better and win every game he can. I’m not sure if Pickett is wired that way or not…

I agree with your assessment. However you could argue that in the SEC Burrow was also playing against teams who had similar squads stacked like NFL rosters. Not to mention unlike Pickett, Burrow was a two year starter at LSU and had to change programs. That convinces me that Burrow has that “it” factor and that Pickett may have been a man amongst boys in his fifth year.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, firefox1234 said:

I agree with your assessment. However you could argue that in the SEC Burrow was also playing against teams who had similar squads stacked like NFL rosters. Not to mention unlike Pickett, Burrow was a two year starter at LSU and had to change programs. That convinces me that Burrow has that “it” factor and that Pickett may have been a man amongst boys in his fifth year.

To be fair, and I'm not trying to tie them together in any way as I think Burrow is much better...

But he didn't "have" to transfer, he did because he couldn't win...he chose to transfer, and it paid dividends.

Just now, thefuzz said:

To be fair, and I'm not trying to tie them together in any way as I think Burrow is much better...

But he didn't "have" to transfer, he did because he couldn't win the starting QB job...he chose to transfer, and it paid dividends.

Sorry.

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Every QB in the draft has a higher ceiling than Sam Darnold. I can’t believe people still think he’s good, or even worthy of playing. 

Does anyone? I can't think of anybody here that thinks he's good. Would they rather the team "tank" with him so we can get a better prospect next season? Yes.

• Pie 1

I beg of them to take the best DE/OT/DT/OG at 6, then wait til next year and take the franchise QB in a much better draft

You guys will bitch because you all have the patience of a 2 year old, but it's the best direction for the team

Edited by amcoolio
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Does anyone? I can't think of anybody here that thinks he's good. Would they rather the team "tank" with him so we can get a better prospect next season? Yes.

Of course some still think he could be good. Kyle Allen had his little fan club too. If there's one thing that some in this fanbase love it's a shitty QB who carries himself to their set standards.

Edited by frankw