• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have talked to numerous teams about moving back from #6

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, Wolfcop said:

If you have a chance to get one of the top OTs, take them. Unless the trade is incredible, I am taking my franchise LT and calling it a day. 

It's odd to me how everyone can easily point out the weaknesses of the QB prospects while ignoring the weaknesses of the OT prospects. The football player on the field has never matched the athlete in the gym for Neal. Ekwonu is a better run blocker than pass protector and that's a big concern for a LT. He's also built more like an OG than an OT at 6'4" 310. Cross is another guy who's a bit undersized at a shade over 300 pounds with significant questions about his physicality at the NFL level.

I'm just not buying into this draft narrative that this OT class is special and the QB class is trash. It doesn't add up.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

3 tackles have never gone top 5 to my knowledge 

That's not surprising if it's never happened...the times they are a changin though.

Having a upper tier starting LT on a rookie deal for 5 years is going to become GOLD in this league.

• Beer 1

Just now, jfo89 said:

We also had 2nd and 3rd round picks last year

Fair point.

The problem last year though was that nobody blew us away with an offer. And that was with Justin Fields and Mac Jones on the board.

Will they up their offers for Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis?

• Beer 1

Hopefully we're getting a sense in these conversations who and how far teams want to move up. If we get clever we might be able to trade twice; trade back to the low 10s, then trade again with Philly for 18, and end up with 2 second round picks and change.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Growl said:

they’re going to get cute, move down, and take Ridder or some fourth wave guy because “when I was in Seattle we got Wilson in the 3rd round” and pat themselves on the back for picking up a couple pointless picks and being ‘smarter’ than everyone else

Day Today GIF

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair point.

The problem last year though was that nobody blew us away with an offer. And that was with Justin Fields and Mac Jones on the board.

Will they up their offers for Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis?

Probably not but you never know. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a QB that a team is looking to trade up for either.

I think it comes down to who’s on the board, and how desperate you are to acquire additional resources.

Maybe the criteria for being blown away by an offer this year, is less than what it was last year. iirc last years depth was considered weak where as this years seems to be stronger. Although we’re picking 2 spots higher so I would expect the offers to be better.

• Pie 1

If you have an opportunity to trade back, you have too.  

Just because some goofball on ESPN provides his ranking of players does not mean all 30 teams feel the same way.  We have no idea what the panthers board looks like.  Their favorite QB in the draft may be Howell, but they would be stupid to pick him 6th when they can probably get him later.

Seattle may want Willis and feel they need to jump Atlanta.  Give them 6 for 9 & 41.

At 9, you can get Pickett, Howell, Cross, Hamilton, J Johnson, Penning etc.  All likely starters and all most will be available at 9.

Then you have found money at 41.  If you still need LT, grab Tyler Smith or Raimann.  If you still need QB, Corrall, Howell, or Ridder could still be there.  

Don't fall in love with one guy.  Talent level between 6 and 40 may be fairly equal.  If so, I'd rather grab 2 of them instead of 1.    

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

3 tackles have never gone top 5 to my knowledge 

2020, 6 went in the first round and 4 of those were top 15- that's about as close as you'll see.

2008 saw 7 go in the first round, 5 of which were top 20. That was as stacked a class of OTs as you'll ever see: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Gosder Cherilus, Jeff Otah, Sam Baker and Duane Brown.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, jfo89 said:

Probably not but you never know. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a QB that a team is looking to trade up for either.

I think it comes down to who’s on the board, and how desperate you are to acquire additional resources.

Maybe the criteria for being blown away by an offer this year, is less than what it was last year. iirc last years depth was considered weak where as this years seems to be stronger. Although we’re picking 2 spots higher so I would expect the offers to be better.

I agree.  If Neal, Gardner, Willis, or Thibodeaux are still on the board at 6, I could definitely see someone offering a second to move up a few spots for their guy. 

I doubt anyone lower than WFT would be interested, but all of the teams picking 7-11 may have their eye on someone in particular and be willing to give up something for it so they don't get jumped.  ATL or SEA may have their eye on a particular QB.  WFT may want the best WR available.  Jets may pass on a DE at 4 but are willing to move a little to get one at 6.  All moves could net us an extra 2nd.

As long as we remain flexible and don't fall in love with one guy, we'll be ok.  We need a lot more than 1 guy.

• Pie 2