• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have talked to numerous teams about moving back from #6

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hey y'all, remember that time we drafted a fuging LONG SNAPPER who couldn't make the roster over an OG who started every game for the 12-5 Chiefs who went to the AFC CG? 😂

I do!

Screenshot_20220413-172224.thumb.png.4bf0d1ac1df34c5d4ce7b2ab80ac6845.png

At least the LS Ron and Marty drafted actually made the fuging roster.

Jansen wasn't drafted.

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

The problem is I don't trust BC because I don't trust Rhule's opinion. Rhule was on the fence and never sure and the ONLY reason they drafted him was desperation. They fugged up and got to that point without addressing LT so they scrambled and got the only possibility left at that point and the fact they say him for so long and did whatever they could be to avoid using him at LT because they had buyers remorse. 

No QB is going to be successful here until they get that OL fixed. Anyone they draft, they are setting up for failure. There's no point in getting a QB without having at least an LT in place and I don't trust them to ever fix it if they don't do it this year. They fix it this year or they won't. 

At least this year we have some real NFL coaches to give some input on these players.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

The problem is I don't trust BC because I don't trust Rhule's opinion. Rhule was on the fence and never sure and the ONLY reason they drafted him was desperation. They fugged up and got to that point without addressing LT so they scrambled and got the only possibility left at that point and the fact they say him for so long and did whatever they could be to avoid using him at LT because they had buyers remorse. 

No QB is going to be successful here until they get that OL fixed. Anyone they draft, they are setting up for failure. There's no point in getting a QB without having at least an LT in place and I don't trust them to ever fix it if they don't do it this year. They fix it this year or they won't. 

I do think the best option is trading back. Only thing that #6 should be used for if they don't trade back is on an LT. If they use that spot to draft anything by else, they are fugged.

I think BC could be the answer because Rhule doesn't like him. He's everything Rhule didn't want to have playing at LT and still looked better than his day 1 FA LT choice. The sad part is we're here now looking at LT when the majority of the Huddle knew in preseason he was the best LT on our roster. 

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nah, I've always been pretty honest about my take on UNC prospects. I laughed it off when people were giving Dyami Brown 1st round grades last year.

Interesting you mentioned Mahomes - a QB with a lot of question marks coming out of college.

It's an art, not a science and there will always be steals and busts in ever draft class yet every year folks want to take about the draft in absolutes. 😂

It isn't about absolutes, it's about a classic Panthers flaw from the past few years which is ignoring strong classes of specific positions and just attempting to go against the grain for no obvious reason.

I don't know what is wrong with our overall decision making but we just cannot wrap our heads around this concept as a franchise. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, John_Sutter said:

You mean like how the Ravens traded back up to pick 32 to take Lamar Jackson when they could have just taken him at 25 instead of Hayden Hurst?

Hayden Hurst was considered the “safer” pick and the Ravens felt like they didn’t need to gamble on Jackson that early  (which is kind of hilarious in retrospect).

The fact is a lot of these guys are impressive interviews and (re: the Herbert side convo) are not always optimally used in their college schemes. That gives NFL coaches and GMs plenty of imagination to project what they could be. That’s why some guys like Fitterer like to have more bites at the apple, to hedge against some of the bad bets and diversify, so to speak. And then sometimes guys like Belichick and Les “F Them Picks” Snead push that even further and forego that risk by trading out of their picks altogether in exchange for known quantities. 

Yeah and the Ravens obviously weren't that sold on him either, right? Otherwise you take him at 25th. That's a reasonable gamble, not being all in on a player as a franchise QB.

Hence why I said what I said, if you are really sold on a guy, you take him at 6. If you aren't, you trade down and just let the chips fall where they may.

IMO, trading down isn't about getting the guy they want, it's about getting more draft picks(for them to fug up) and/or just taking a QB from those available because you view them about the same.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah and the Ravens obviously weren't that sold on him either, right? Otherwise you take him at 25th. That's a reasonable gamble, not being all in on a player as a franchise QB.

Hence why I said what I said, if you are really sold on a guy, you take him at 6. If you aren't, you trade down and just let the chips fall where they may.

IMO, trading down isn't about getting the guy they want, it's about getting more draft picks(for them to fug up) and/or just taking a QB from those available because you view them about the same.

Okay but you’re implying that if you like a guy you should take him at your spot even if that’s bad value. I’m saying smart teams don’t do that, even with guys who have MVP ceilings. 

None of these QBs appear to have that kind of ceiling, so it would be bad use of draft capital to take that approach

Edited by John_Sutter

7 hours ago, Growl said:

they’re going to get cute, move down, and take Ridder or some fourth wave guy because “when I was in Seattle we got Wilson in the 3rd round” and pat themselves on the back for picking up a couple pointless picks and being ‘smarter’ than everyone else

Yep ... I fear the same.   2 nickels does not equal a dime ... draft a stud LT and stop the bleeding.  

31 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It isn't about absolutes, it's about a classic Panthers flaw from the past few years which is ignoring strong classes of specific positions and just attempting to go against the grain for no obvious reason.

I don't know what is wrong with our overall decision making but we just cannot wrap our heads around this concept as a franchise. 

We need to trade down.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jansen wasn't drafted.

You know what, after the Olsen trade, this is Hernaiys 2nd best trade. I hated giving up a 6th for a LS, but JJJ proven me wrong. 

I still refuse to draft any STer, rather take a big risk than someone who plays 6 snaps. I know goat Bill strongly disagrees with my method, but I do not care.