• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colts get Gilmore. 2 years 23 mill. 14 guaranteed.

NCTHFL0567

11 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

"Notably worse than the Vet". Not sure I would go that far. Donte is far younger, which gives us more years. And he is coming off his best year. Donte grew up last year. And it showed. At least to those who weren't looking for the worst in things.

Donte got absolutely roasted as the year went on and it was plain to see. If that was his 'best year' then that's unfortunate, because Carolina only locked him up for 3 years vs the 2 that Gilmore got. For that reason I'm not seeing the age advantage at all.

You're also the poster who spent last offseason telling everyone the team wasn't 'our daddy's Panthers' anymore (you may not be wrong though, as they're quite arguably worse from top to bottom) and yet it was plain to see that abysmal season coming a mile off as well. It has nothing to do with looking for the worst, and rose-colored optimism achieves nothing.

This offseason has had some actual competent moves made, but assuming Gilmore was willing to come back for similar money the signing of Jackson over Gilmore in context of the 2 contracts isn't up there on that list. 

40 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

My God this place is so far down the toilet, Zod may as well flush it, and start over.

This place has taken the great American Gladiator sport of Football, and turned it into Bridge Night in America. Most on here wouldn't know intestinal fortitude if it came up to them and slapped them upside the head.

So "Ice up", put some dirt on it, and realize that not everything in life will go your way. 

You folks whine when Rhule plays the vets over the kids. Then you whine when he choses a kid over a vet. The "Wine and Cheesers" have come home to roost.

Tepper is smart not to talk he knows no matter what he says he's gonna get criticized. 

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Donte got absolutely roasted as the year went on and it was plain to see. If that was his 'best year' then that's unfortunate, because Carolina only locked him up for 3 years vs the 2 that Gilmore got. For that reason I'm not seeing the age advantage at all.

You're also the poster who spent last offseason telling everyone the team wasn't 'our daddy's Panthers' anymore (you may not be wrong though, as they're quite arguably worse from top to bottom) and yet it was plain to see that abysmal season coming a mile off as well. It has nothing to do with looking for the worst, and rose-colored optimism achieves nothing.

This offseason has had some actual competent moves made, but assuming Gilmore was willing to come back for similar money the signing of Jackson over Gilmore in context of the 2 contracts isn't up there on that list. 

2 years ago Donte was still immature. Last year Rhule specifically called him out over how much he had grown. He was coachable, he didn't sulk, and he was willing to help the younger guys. He absolutely had his best year, and he did it while playing hurt most of the year.

Donte absolutely was a leader in the Secondary last year.

I stand by my statement that this ain't "Your daddy's Pantherz". And if we could somehow find a Franchise QB? There's a good chance we could be pretty good.

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Tepper is smart not to talk he knows no matter what he says he's gonna get criticized. 

See, I don't get this. Why does the owner need to talk? He has guys for that. Nothing good can come from him talking. Like you said:  "No matter what he says, he's gonna get criticized."

• Pie 1

Colts signed CB Stephon Gilmore, formerly of the Panthers, to a two-year contract. 

The deal is worth around $23 million. Gilmore, the 2019 defensive player of the year with New England, joins a Colts defense graded by Pro Football Focus as 2021's eighth best coverage unit. Indy could have one of the league's top secondaries with the addition of Gilmore and veteran S Rodney McLeod, who was signed by the Colts this week. Gilmore, 31, graded out as PFF's No. 7 coverage cornerback last season in a terrible Carolina defense. At full strength, the Colts defense will be a tough matchup for opposing quarterbacks and pass catchers. 

36 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

2 years ago Donte was still immature. Last year Rhule specifically called him out over how much he had grown. He was coachable, he didn't sulk, and he was willing to help the younger guys. He absolutely had his best year, and he did it while playing hurt most of the year.

Donte absolutely was a leader in the Secondary last year.

I stand by my statement that this ain't "Your daddy's Pantherz". And if we could somehow find a Franchise QB? There's a good chance we could be pretty good.

Matured or nor, Donte got exposed as the year went on and was absolutely abysmal his final 2 games against Miami and Washington before missing the final 5 games. He is not near Gilmore's level even at this stage in his career. Again, age would factor in if Carolina signed him for more than 3 years, but they didn't, so his effective life is the same as Gilmore's.

As far as Rhule goes he has earned zero credibility. Nothing he says carries any merit until he appears able to compete at an actual NFL level and not be outstrategized week in and week out. It has been a steady slide into the basement under his watch and I still can't figure out how he kept his job. The fact that we haven't seen or heard a peep from him or Tepper this entire offseason while Fitterer has done all the talking says a lot about where things currently stand.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

My God this place is so far down the toilet, Zod may as well flush it, and start over.

This place has taken the great American Gladiator sport of Football, and turned it into Bridge Night in America. Most on here wouldn't know intestinal fortitude if it came up to them and slapped them upside the head.

So "Ice up", put some dirt on it, and realize that not everything in life will go your way. 

You folks whine when Rhule plays the vets over the kids. Then you whine when he choses a kid over a vet. The "Wine and Cheesers" have come home to roost.

Nyah. Just tired of being promised champagne and caviar and getting Boones farm and twizzlers. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, DeSim said:

I’m sure we offered the same, if not more.  He just didn’t wanna come back. 

Thats me as welll....He said " I want to go to a contender, needs to be the right fit...." I dont blame him..... as that pains to say. Panthers need about 18 things to go right and colts needs about 3-4.  

29 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Matured or nor, Donte got exposed as the year went on and was absolutely abysmal his final 2 games against Miami and Washington before missing the final 5 games. He is not near Gilmore's level even at this stage in his career. Again, age would factor in if Carolina signed him for more than 3 years, but they didn't, so his effective life is the same as Gilmore's.

As far as Rhule goes he has earned zero credibility. Nothing he says carries any merit until he appears able to compete at an actual NFL level and not be outstrategized week in and week out. It has been a steady slide into the basement under his watch and I still can't figure out how he kept his job. The fact that we haven't seen or heard a peep from him or Tepper this entire offseason while Fitterer has done all the talking says a lot about where things currently stand.

I understand the logic behind choosing Donte. Gilmore has limited time playing at a high level, unless he is able to make that Woodson switch to extend his career.

I can't fault the Panthers for paying Donte. IMO, he is always going to be a streaky player. However, he is also a ball hawk. Frankly, arguably the best the franchise has ever had at that specific thing.

If he can stay healthy, I think he will be a solid player for us for the length of his new contract.

• Pie 1