• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have the inside track to trade for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

16 minutes ago, Panthero said:

Agreed. My only issue with this strategy is there are five teams that have 2 first round picks in the 2023 draft. They all are qb needy teams as well. Jist not sure how we can put together a package to match. 

In short, we need to be terrible this year. If thats the case, why not just stick with legohead? 

A qb needy team today will be far different one year from today. Can’t plan around other team’s assumptions. It’s not like having baker here for one year hurts us. We would have zero long term comittment.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, musicman said:

I would take an even trade - Darnold for Mayfield. Darnold gets to back up Watson and they don't have to carry the baggage of a keeping him. Nobody will trade a pick for him. Why not? Not sold on Mayfield but he'll have something to prove.

They already picked up Jacoby Brissett as their backup, Don't see how it would be to their advantage if they'd just cut the new bust for the same $19M cap hit. It's tricky because usually these kinda guys would do a restructure and trade deal like how we got rid of Teddy, but not sure these guys on guaranteed 5th year options are willing to work with the teams that are kinda screwing the whole situations up for everyone. If I were Baker or Sam I'd say F U cut me and give me my money and I'll figure it out myself. 

• Pie 1

If they were to do a straight Darnold/Mayfield trade I think it'd have us including at least a 4th rounder or average player to give them some incentive to fill out the paperwork if they're gonna cut whichever QB anyway. Jacoby is getting his $4.5M and knows he'll get to start the first handful of games so I doubt they want any extra drama going into OTA's/training Camp with one of these 2018 busts hangin around