• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Fowler: Panthers have done their due diligence on QB Jimmy Garoppolo

TheSpecialJuan

I'd be fine with him.

Panthers need someone to put Darnold on the bench. They also need someone just competent enough to get through the season but not win too much so they can adequately tank next year too.

I can't imagine wanting to try and take more shortcuts this rebuild. Sam can't be allowed on the field and they have to eat his contract a year. Jimmy would fit the bill and his contract would come off the books soon, too, meaning cap room with a rookie QB at that juncture.

This is the year to trade down and fix the offensive line, Rhule dug us this hole and they need to lay in it. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I'd be fine with him.

Panthers need someone to put Darnold on the bench. They also need someone just competent enough to get through the season but not win too much so they can adequately tank next year too.

I can't imagine wanting to try and take more shortcuts this rebuild. Sam can't be allowed on the field and they have to eat his contract a year. Jimmy would fit the bill and his contract would come off the books soon, too, meaning cap room with a rookie QB at that juncture.

This is the year to trade down and fix the offensive line, Rhule dug us this hole and they need to lay in it. 

Glad you have no say, Jesus

53 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That (Jettisoning Darnold) would be the only way I would do something like this, with the possible exception on Minshew on the cheap.  Even then, it would be only because we have zero QBs on the roster who are under contract after this season, and thankfully so.  

Oh yeah, I agree. I said as much if you read and understand what I said. Minshew would be one of the "journeyman" that I was referencing. I would think we'd have to keep Darnold in the case of Minshew because why would Philly take on his contract? Hell, we'd have to pay them additional resources just to take on Darnold, and that would likely lead to something unacceptable.

20 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I'd be fine with him.

You're gonna end up paying $40M for Jimmy G when you combine his cap hit with Darnold's. That should be a complete nonstarter.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I care. I just don't have an answer.

Someone asked me in one of these recent threads who I wanted at quarterback, and I realized there isn't anybody available I'd say "yes" to.

There's not a single qb available out there that's going to change the trajectory of this team next season. 

My only hope is that whomever it is that they make it entertaining enough to tune in for each game. 

That's how low my confidence in this franchise has become. 

• Pie 1

This season represents the lack of vision--they went after an underperforming Darnold without a backup plan.  They should have drafted Fields, tbh--even if they had Darnold.  Instead, they had to give Darnold his fifth year contract because he was doing fairly well and we did not have a backup plan.  Then it went south, and Rhule is now confronted with either another retread or a rookie---no vision.

Scott Fitterer wants a rookie, but this year? Who knows.  I keep thinking that Pickett will be Pick 6--and I hope that is not irony (Pick it at Pick 6).

They sure found themselves in a mell of a hess.

I get the feeling that Rhule lost his hope for success when Cleveland signed Watson.

Edited by MHS831

31 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Oh yeah, I agree. I said as much if you read and understand what I said. Minshew would be one of the "journeyman" that I was referencing. I would think we'd have to keep Darnold in the case of Minshew because why would Philly take on his contract? Hell, we'd have to pay them additional resources just to take on Darnold, and that would likely lead to something unacceptable.

Yeah, I don't see anybody taking Darnold at this point.  He's ours this year, whether anybody likes it or not.  Roughly $18.5M reasons.  Luckily, unless we do something epically stupid, it is one year. 

While PT Barnum was correct (and probably an optimist), it is going to take a day's worth of suckers to find one big enough for Darnold's salary.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope their due diligence told them he sucks because he does. Take him off the Niners' great roster with a very good offensive coach and put him here and he's probably indistinguishable from Sam Darnold.

Qbs that suck don't go to a Super Bowl and another Conference Championship. They just don't no matter what team they're on. Yeah you can say his recent injury is something to stay away from, but to say he has sucked is inaccurate at best.