• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers meet with Sam Howell

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You didn't watch any of the previous two years did you? 

No he didn’t. Talking about 2 reads max, not realizing most college level QBs get 1-2 reads max. 

Not bashing Willis because I like him but Howell makes better reads and his mechanics are about the same.

8 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

No he didn’t. Talking about 2 reads max, not realizing most college level QBs get 1-2 reads max. 

Not bashing Willis because I like him but Howell makes better reads and his mechanics are about the same.

While that may be true, most college level QBs aren’t getting drafted into the NFL. Willis and Corral both run an RPO offense, and while UNC incorporated some RPO into their game - you can’t really compare it. Phil Longo designed his offense to make it varied upon the defense and simplified it to run max number of plays out of different packages. It is based on mainly predetermined defensive reads, rather than progressions. 

14 minutes ago, Julio said:

Of course I did, this past year is just the most troublesome. He didn’t have the best protection nor an elite running game and it exposed a lot of his flaws. Instead of navigating the pocket, he chose to throw off-platform or flat out run outside of the pocket. While that may pass in college, it doesn’t translate to the league. He’s a project who maybe starting caliber in 2-3 years.

It became a one read and bolt offense. Because it had to be. 

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That should make a very good QB right?

He definitely has a chance.  Howell is being overlooked IMO.  McShay continues to say that Howell can make all the throws and is a definite candidate to be really good.  Agree there

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed. I've always thought the Baker comp was a pretty good one physically. Big difference between the ears though.

Yeah, you won’t ever have any ego problems with Sam Howell.  His leadership and character are a big plus.

Howell will have some limitations early and probably needs some time but he will also come out and throw 4 TDs on good days.  The guy has always done that.  Best deep ball in the draft IMO.

He is a serious sleeper 

That he produced last season behind an atrocious, really bad OL gets points from me too

Edited by Shocker

JT O'Sullivan went further into Howell than any other QB.  Part 8 (The 2021 NC State game) warmed me up a ton and it's because how poorly everyone around him played.  He still managed to have them in it until the final Hail Mary bomb.  Has a few footwork things he can clean up but he is pretty close to the all around QB you look for today with no measurables, arm or mobility concerns.  It's all at least avg to above-average.    

Considering this class, I think Corral & Howell are the obvious ones that still have legit upside and can play pretty close to immediately. 

Rather than Baker, I see a mini-Big Ben with a bit of Dak Prescott.  He's a bit more of a truck.  Like a short truck of a man.  

• Pie 1