• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Baker Mayfield would be redundant to Sam Darnold and the Browns are pushing more for a trade than the Panthers are

TheSpecialJuan

Per Breer

As I see it, the Panthers can gamble, barring someone trading up (which I think is unlikely), that they’ll have their pick of quarterbacks at No. 6. What’s hard to forecast is whether any of the top three tackles—Ekwonu, Cross or Alabama’s Evan Neal—will be on the board when Carolina’s up. If those three are gone, maybe it’ll be simplified for the Panthers and they’ll take a quarterback. But if one or more of the tackles are there, it wouldn’t stun me, or others in the league, if the Panthers grit their teeth and go with the offensive lineman over the quarterback—with perhaps the idea that they could go and get Jimmy Garoppolo after the first round, or even Baker Mayfield, who’s been seen internally as a sort of redundant gamble to what the team did with Sam Darnold last year (and would probably require the Browns’ eating a whole bunch of his $18.858 million base). Having Mayfield and Darnold, the top two quarterbacks in 2018 (both of whom were drafted before Allen and Jackson), together would be interesting, for sure. But right now, my guess is the Browns would be pushing that more than the Panthers are looking for it.

Edited by TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Anyone who thinks Baker is "redundant" to Darnold has ZERO credibility in my book.  ZERO.  Darnold makes Mayfield look like prime Aaron Rodgers.😂😂😂

I'd love to have seen Mayfield behind our 2021 OLine... it wouldn't have been pretty. 

• Pie 1