• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I’m not reading through 35 pages. Most posts have been positive, as they should, but honestly not surprised some of you morons don’t like the pick. 

He was one of the last picks of the third round. Complete low risk/high reward move. It really shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. 

Those people seem to be convinced Corral’s ceiling is a high end backup before he has a chance to play. 
I will wait till he plays before I make any decision. We’ll likely see a lot of him, and Darnold, in the preseason. Should be a really fun camp. 

I hope he develops into a franchise QB. But I hope that for all of our starting QBs, yes even Darnold. 

I just hope the team doesn’t panic and force him out they’re till he is ready. I can stand another season if Darnold if there is hope for the future behind him. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Our staff had a day one grade on him. They are expecting more than a backup out of him.  I’m not saying they are right, but I expect him to replace Sam before the season is over because Sam might not even be a solid backup.

Kid is light, and doesn't know the system.  If he has to play this season, it probably won't be good. I know your in the anybody but Sam, camp. So therefore logic doesn't exist. 

Just now, pantherclaw said:

Kid is light, and doesn't know the system.  If he has to play this season, it probably won't be good. I know your in the anybody but Sam, camp. So therefore logic doesn't exist. 

Kid is always going to be light.  And if he learns the system then hell yeah throw him out there.  If not we are probably drafting top 5ish again next year because we had to start Darnold. 

15 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I think Sam starts the first half and Corral comes in once we are eliminated from the playoffs. 
Also most if not all rookie QBs don’t know the system. They have to learn it or coaches run a simplified version through their first few games. 

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 1

On 4/30/2022 at 8:26 AM, mrcompletely11 said:

With the way the qbs were falling I have to agree with you,  seems like a panic desperation move when all we had to do was wait and be patient today

waiting until the end of the third round is not patience? 
Wouldn't drafting a QB in round 1 have been a "panic desperation move?" 

I completely disagree with your take on this.

• Pie 1

It sucks we had to give up next year' 3rd for him, other than that, I'm okay with this flier pick.   Yes, a 3rd round QB pick is a flier unless you drafted him to be a backup.  As a starter...complete flier pick. *Russell Wilson argument incoming*.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

It sucks we had to give up next year' 3rd for him, other than that, I'm okay with this flier pick.   Yes, a 3rd round QB pick is a flier unless you drafted him to be a backup.  As a starter...complete flier pick. *Russell Wilson argument incoming*.

Basically, doing nothing was not an option, and if Corral has a 30% chance of becoming a starting QB, do you do it?  I do---the floor is a backup QB--so the cost is minimal, while the payoff is very much higher than what they paid.  I am OK with that.  I was starting to get pissed that they were not moving up for the QBs in the third round--not sure which I liked hte most, but I kinda wanted Willis.  However, I see Corral's upside.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Basically, doing nothing was not an option, and if Corral has a 30% chance of becoming a starting QB, do you do it?  I do---the floor is a backup QB--so the cost is minimal, while the payoff is very much higher than what they paid.  I am OK with that.  I was starting to get pissed that they were not moving up for the QBs in the third round--not sure which I liked hte most, but I kinda wanted Willis.  However, I see Corral's upside.

Corral was the QB I like the most in the mid-rounds.  As long as we didn't take him (or any other QB) at #6, I was fine with that...provided we didn't give up the farm to move back into day 2.  I imagine Fitts will move back next year the the first or second round to recoup that pick.  At the very least we have a successor to PJ Walker beyond this year.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If he ends up being good I don’t think anyone will complain about the 3rd pick. I do not think he will be shoved out there. He will be allowed to develop. Which probably means Rhule is back next year even if we only win 5 games again, unfortunately. 
I completely disagree with you, 3rd round pick for a low risk/high reward QB is good. 
There is one guarantee that will happen each draft for QBs the team that drafts them will have fans that complain that the player was drafted too high and not worth the pick. 
It is guaranteed like the sunrise. 

5 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

If he ends up being good I don’t think anyone will complain about the 3rd pick. I do not think he will be shoved out there. He will be allowed to develop. Which probably means Rhule is back next year even if we only win 5 games again, unfortunately. 
I completely disagree with you, 3rd round pick for a low risk/high reward QB is good. 
There is one guarantee that will happen each draft for QBs the team that drafts them will have fans that complain that the player was drafted too high and not worth the pick. 

We win only 5 games next year Rhule is gone and we are drafting a qb in the top 5

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I'm not saying he wasn't worth the pick, what I am saying is that those thinking he will develop into our franchise QB probably will be let down.  If Corral at minimum turns into a solid QB2, then it's worth the 3rd rounder.  I'm just not holding my breath he'll ever be a legit QB1.  Remember, Will Grier also had his own Huddle groupies after he was drafted thinking with development Will would eventually be starting caliber.  That experiment was short lived.