• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield watch

ncfan

To summarize my feelings:

Baker is not as bad as people on here make him out to be and is a significant step up from Darnold. Baker would make the team better immediately and is good enough to take a team to the playoffs. I don't necessarily believe he is the long term answer for us even if he is the best option for this upcoming season. I don't trust this FO to make a cunning enough trade to get him on the roster due to previous dealings and evaluations of the QB position. I would love to trade Sam for Baker straight up but doubt that would happen. Because of this, I would prefer we roll with Corral this season, take our lumps, and evaluate next year.

• Pie 8

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

I dont know about saying its Fitterer that wants him but I do know it has came out in the past couple of days that Rhule was leaning towards going with Darnold and Corral.

Fitterer is the guy who repeatedly said the best path was to take a young quarterback and build around him.

Not sure I buy that he's the one pushing for Mayfield.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

His roster and coaching was also significantly better in Cleveland. He is not bringing the rest of his team with him, all we get is Baker.

This is a guy whose team decided to trade away the farm to replace him after picking him #1 overall, he is damaged goods. I trust his own teams evaluation of him over some random guys on the internet. 

I will double down, if we trade for baker he does not break 20 td passes and he throws for double digit ints. 

He only got a good coach in year 3 and 4.  Hugh and Kitchen were there before that.  He couldn't hit OBJ (according to you) so where is all of this other talent that made him so great?  Landry who was a FA until like mid/late May this year?  Their TE??  Chubb was solid, but CMC is pretty good too right?  They had Garrett on defense and a decent CB in Ward.  I just don't think that Browns team was as "loaded" as everyone thinks.  They were solid, but we definitely have some pieces here as well.  Plus OBJ only played in like 7 games and Chubb missed time as well.    

33 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

If we truly want him I don’t understand why we are so hung up over a few million dollars. It won’t carry over into next year and I think we have the space to make it happen. I just don’t understand 

Likely do to a few items:

1) Possible FA interest in other vets (Dunlap)

2) Post Camp Cap in reserve

3) Carrying over ''roll-over'' cap

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He only got a good coach in year 3 and 4.  Hugh and Kitchen were there before that.  He couldn't hit OBJ (according to you) so where is all of this other talent that made him so great?  Landry who was a FA until like mid/late May this year?  Their TE??  Chubb was solid, but CMC is pretty good too right?  They had Garrett on defense and a decent CB in Ward.  I just don't think that Browns team was as "loaded" as everyone thinks.  They were solid, but we definitely have some pieces here as well.  Plus OBJ only played in like 7 games and Chubb missed time as well.    

Kitchens was only there because Mayfield wanted him.  That browns team had very few holes outside of needing consistent QB play. That is why they traded away so much for a QB with major character concerns and handed him a boatload of guaranteed $.

If the Browns did not think they were ready to compete for a super bowl with a good QB, they dont make that trade. If Baker is so great, why is he sitting in Cleveland with no one willing to take him to be their starter? 

At his point he could be had for a late round pick as long as the team is paying his 18m salary, that is a huge bargain for a legit starting QB, yet he is still in Cleveland? Yea.....

Dont forget Bakers first choice was the Colts, they said thanks but no thanks and took an old ass Matt puddle Ryan

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

year two they handed the keys to the franchise to Freddie Kitchens, who was in over his head.

2020 they brought in Kevin Stefanski and went to the playoffs for the first time in a generation.

Baker then got hurt and played through an injury all season in 2021. Still had a better season than he did under Freddie Kitchens. 

Baker is by no means a generational talent, but he's good enough to take a team to the playoffs. 

He would be an immediate upgrade to our QB room.

My only concern is how badly we would get shafted if we traded for him. 

My personal opinion is that we should roll with Corral regardless. Hit the reset button next season if need be and move on from Rhule if we miss the playoffs again. 

Kitchens was not a good NFL coach and like you mentioned was in way over his head. What’s scary is Kitchens was much more qualified than Ruhle to be an NFL HC. 

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Kitchens was only there because Mayfield wanted him.  That browns team had very few holes outside of needing consistent QB play. That is why they traded away so much for a QB with major character concerns and handed him a boatload of guaranteed $.

If the Browns did not think they were ready to compete for a super bowl with a good QB, they dont make that trade. If Baker is so great, why is he sitting in Cleveland with no one willing to take him to be their starter? 

At his point he could be had for a late round pick as long as the team is paying his 18m salary, that is a huge bargain for a legit starting QB, yet he is still in Cleveland? Yea.....

Dont foget Bakers first choice was the Colts, they said thanks but no thanks and took an old ass Matt puddle Ryan

I don't think he is great.  I think he is a solid mid-level QB with some upside.  I'd rank him around Kurt Cousins maybe?  Stronger arm, but will make more mistakes.  The Falcons traded Matt Ryan to try to acquire Watson as well.  Watson has the ability and has been in the past a top 5 QB in this league.  He elevated the talent around him in Houston like very few QBs can do.  They made that move because it was a big upgrade to go from mid-level QB to top tier franchise QB.  Kind of like it would be a big jump for us to go from worst QB in the league to mid-level QB.  I don't want to give up high picks or take on his full contact, but for a decent deal then I'd be all for it.  When you try to trade a player this time of year you aren't going to get full market value.  Most teams were set at QB before this draft because many believe these rookie QBs weren't ready to start right away.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Sign cam. 2nd most cap space (when has that ever happened) quit wasting our life. Want a stadium deal? Win a fuging super bowl

The 2022 Ghost of Cam Newton ain't winning ANYBODY a Super Bowl, bro.  Put the pipe down. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I don't think he is great.  I think he is a solid mid-level QB with some upside.  I'd rank him around Kurt Cousins maybe?  Stronger arm, but will make more mistakes.  The Falcons traded Matt Ryan to try to acquire Watson as well.  Watson has the ability and has been in the past a top 5 QB in this league.  He elevated the talent around him in Houston like very few QBs can do.  They made that move because it was a big upgrade to go from mid-level QB to top tier franchise QB.  Kind of like it would be a big jump for us to go from worst QB in the league to mid-level QB.  I don't want to give up high picks or take on his full contact, but for a decent deal then I'd be all for it.  When you try to trade a player this time of year you aren't going to get full market value.  Most teams were set at QB before this draft because many believe these rookie QBs weren't ready to start right away.

He is below Kirk for me, Kirk consistently puts up top 10 QB stats, Baker is an every other year type of guy.

I would rather avoid the headache altogether. It is a one year rental for Baker which would probably lead to a stupid decision to extend him. I would like to know what Corral has before next years draft. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

The 2022 Ghost of Cam Newton ain't winning ANYBODY a Super Bowl, bro.  Put the pipe down. 

Neither is Baker, but one of these guys does not cost 18m and draft capitol.

We need to see our rookie before the next draft, Period.  

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2